Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 12:26:17 PM EDT
Dick's Sporting Goods Announces Completion of Acquisition of Galyan's Trading Company

PITTSBURGH, July 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Dick's Sporting Goods, Inc. (NYSE: DKS) today announced that is has completed its acquisition of Galyan's Trading Company, Inc. (Nasdaq: GLYN) by merger.

Is this a good or bad event?  How will this change Galyans guns supply - is Dicks better or worse?
Your opinions please.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Galyan's doesn't have a huge selection (at least the one store I've been to), but they do have decent prices.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Haven't seen Galyans, but Dicks ahs a better selection of rifles than Walmart (if that helps)

No handguns.

Decent ammo supply.

A few accessories.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Never heard of Galyans, not impressed with Dick's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
the lesbians will be SOL. They always shop at Galyan's, because they don't like dicks.

Dicks has nothing but Elmer Fudd guns, I got my beretta 92fs, and my 92G Elite from galyans.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully Dicks will keep Galyans as their Good branch, seperate from their Sucks branch, Dicks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]
the galyan's here is better than the 2 to 3 dicks in the area combined
better gun selection, including handguns. although I haven't bought one from them
much better camping section, does dicks even have a camping section?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Bad...Galyan's had a better selection of pistols before...Now its 1 small case of Rugers and one with Glocks.    Sad-Very Sad.

Dick's Sucks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
very bad for the reasons stated above

Also some Galyans have pistols, Dicks may pull them because they are cowardly PC POS.

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been in Galyans in three different cities and they all had a really good selection of firearms (for a sporting goods store).  I was even impressed with their handgun selection.  On the other hand, their prices aren't very good anymore.  I remember the prices being pretty competitive when the first opened in KC (when I lived there) years ago.  Lately it seems that they like to sell at MSRP, but maybe that's just just the local policy at the STL store.

*edited to add, what the heck is Dick's?  Never heard of them before.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Bad

Dicks sucks.   Gaylans was WAY better
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've been in Galyans in three different cities and they all had a really good selection of firearms (for a sporting goods store).  I was even impressed with their handgun selection.  On the other hand, their prices aren't very good anymore.  I remember the prices being pretty competitive when the first opened in KC (when I lived there) years ago.  Lately it seems that they like to sell at MSRP, but maybe that's just just the local policy at the STL store.

*edited to add, what the heck is Dick's?  Never heard of them before.

Dick's is a PC Economy Line sporting goods store like Modells and Sports Authority.  Same crap in all of them where Galyans was more upscale (and had decent prices/variety of HG's).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Galayans has always been great.  I really like their stores.  Dicks sucks.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know anything about the Dick's stores, but Galyans was a real good store as far as guns until early this year.  They reduced their selection by 2/3s.  They are essentially just a clothing store now, with some PC things like golf clubs & softball supplies.  It seems like all of the old sporting goods stores eventually go that way because they can buy the clothes cheap from some third world country & mark them up phenomenally.  Guns are a low markup item.  Look at what happened to Abercrombie & Fitch, L.L. Bean, and some of the other old ones.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Dicks sells more compound bows than guns.

They sell certain selected models of guns, like Mossberg 500 shotgun.
CRC
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Dick's ammunition is expensive even when they run sales.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
The Galyan's in Louisville, KY has a huge selection of pistols and long guns...I was just there last Saturday....

The Dick's here is like above...they suck..

IMO..bad for Gaylan's....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dick's is a PC Economy Line sporting goods store like Modells and Sports Authority.  Same crap in all of them where Galyans was more upscale (and had decent prices/variety of HG's).

Thanks.  Are they going to keep the Galyans name and the existing product lines???  I sure hope so.

If I want generic sports gear, ten teen workers standing around talking to each other while I want to try on a pair of shoes, and little to nothing in the way of firearms and related gear, there are plenty of stores I can choose from (Sports Authority).  On the other hand, Gaylans actually has some good stuff and I like shopping there.

If they are going to drop all the quality lines and carry crap instead, then I'll take my business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Why don't you call Dicks or Galyans and ask them.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Why don't you call Dicks or Galyans and ask them.

CRC

As someone who has worked in the corporate world and witnessed 'mergers', my guess is the employees are as clueless as us.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#23]
In the short term bad: Galyans will suck like Dick's.

In the long term good: Galyans will suck making room for Bass Pro Shops.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I was in my local Galyans today buying targets and that's how I found out about the sale to Dicks.  The 2 guys at the counter did not know a whole lot about how it would change the hunting department, but the told me that Dicks will not keep the Galyans name - they will all be converted to Dicks.  One of the counter guys also heard that they would not continue to sell handguns after they were converted to Dicks, but he was not sure of this.  It's too bad, they seemed to have a good selection of guns.  For example, I asked them if they had any Remington 504s in stock.  They didn't but they had a nice Kimber 22 in stock.  I was surprised.  I bought my Ruger Red Label shotgun at Galyans a couple of years ago.  They also carried a lot of nice Browning O/U shotguns as well.  

Oh well - this sucks!

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never been to Galyans, but Dicks sucks big time as the others have said. Dicks is about the sorriest excuse for a sporting goods and gun store that there is from others I have seen. They have lots of clothes and fishing gear, but even their fishing gear is half assed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#26]
The local Galyan's had surprisingly good prices for firearms when first opened in a swank new mall in fashionable west St. Louis County, but I haven't checked lately.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#27]
the gun manager at our local galyans told me last month that there will be no more handguns, and no more military ammunition.

MOD: editing problem, please delete
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#28]
the gun manager at our local galyans told me last month that there will be no more handguns, and no more military ammunition. he also said they will be dropping many of their better guns. like CZ, Kimber, and most of the trap.spoorting shotguns. its going to be mossberg and rugers as far as the eye can see.

YAY Wal-Mart guns!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Bass Pro Shops isnt even that good, they cant even order the higher-end Remington 700s (VS, VLS, P, etc; they stock only the deer guns and can special order only more deer/elk/moose type rifles, no varmint or "tactical" rifles).

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Our Galyan's has better prices on their handguns than the gunshows. Galyan's is based in Plainfield Indiana. They negotiated with the city for financial assistance when they built their new headquarters. Plainfield city officials probably thought that a new HQ would bring more jobs to the area and more money to the local banks.  Little did they know that while they were doing a deal with Galyan's to stay and improve, Galyan's was working out a deal to sell to Dick's Sporting Goods.  

[gomer pyle mode on]Surprise, surprise, surprise![/gomer pyle mode off]

Dick's is number 10.  We have a Gander mountain too.  Big whoop.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow. I've never heard of Dick's. There is a Galyan's that opened about a year ago as an *anchor* store in an up-scale mall near where I live. It's an awesome store. They have a climbing wall and a wide selection of products for all outdoor activities. Their prices are surprisingly competitive.

I can't imagine what's going to happen to that store. Also, we already have a Bass Pro Shop in the area and a Cabela's is scheduled to open soon.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Galyans has a decent selection of handguns, but their prices aren't so hot.

I was in Galyans this weekened, and besides overpaying for a 22/45, (the sticker price was $10 higher than Ruger's MSRP) they were OUT OF .45 !!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've never been to Galyans, but Dicks sucks big time as the others have said. Dicks is about the sorriest excuse for a sporting goods and gun store that there is from others I have seen. They have lots of clothes and fishing gear, but even their fishing gear is half assed.

Oh man lucky you.  You must not have a Modells or Sports Authority near you.  Those suck worse than Dick's in my opinion.  
I was a bigger fan of Gaylans,  I got my HK USPC .45 and my Ruger MKII there.  The best thing I got at Dick's was Remington Golden Bullet (525 roungs for <$7.00)

We'll have to see what they do since the stores are very different cosmetically and with stock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Bass Pro Shops isnt even that good, they cant even order the higher-end Remington 700s (VS, VLS, P, etc; they stock only the deer guns and can special order only more deer/elk/moose type rifles, no varmint or "tactical" rifles).

Kharn

The Bass Pro Shop in STL isn't much to brag about either.  They have a decent selection of deer guns and shotguns, but the only handguns they carry are in .22.

They do occasionally have some good sales on ammo though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#36]
My preference
1. Gander Mountain
2. Cabelas
3. Bass Pro Shops
4.Galyans
5.Dicks
6.Sports Authority

Rating any of these stores is subjective to demand in your area. I've been to Dick's stores that had fantastic,huge displays of hunting guns with excellent selection,and to other Dick's stores that had a 4' long gun rack only. Ditto for Sports Authority. The top 4 I listed seem to be a bit more consistent.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I say sucks. I like Galyans way better. Fuckers.  Dicks NEVER has gun cases except in the fall. Galayas has these $8 doskils that I keep all my old paintball guns in.

So anyway - they both had similar product - but different feels. And I dont like it that it will be the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top