Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2014 1:20:14 PM EDT

And why?

Curious to know which of the two is the better option for arid/mountain types of terrain ...

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Chippies just look cooler.  The other one is, well, drab.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]

poll added
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a T-shirt in each pattern.
Put them out in various terrain in your area. Try and spot them from a distance.
Choose the pattern which is most effective.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chippies just look cooler. The other one is, well, drab.
View Quote

My thoughts as well.

Though my winter coyote gear is British pattern. Works well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the one I wore professionally, the tri color.  

My dad flew B-52s in Desert Storm/Shield and he wore green flight suits for that, so no chocolate chips in my house.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have always been a huge fan of the chocolate chip pattern.  I just think it looks cool.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw some testing that indicated the 3 color works well for hunting. It blends better to a deer's eye in most environments than woodland, ACUPAT, or 6 color, but isn't as good as Multicam.

I think the 6 color looks cooler, personally. I have no military experience/nostalgic attachment to it haha.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
chippie seems to work well when hunting coyotes, but desert dpm (brit) is the cats ass.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My thoughts as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chippies just look cooler. The other one is, well, drab.

My thoughts as well.

Quoted:

chippie seems to work well when hunting coyotes, but desert dpm (brit) is the cats ass.

This ... ?

If that's the one, it seems like the 3 color would be a closer match than the 6 color.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I still have a few steps of chocolate chips from when I went over for DS/DS.  Traded a British soldier for a set of their desert camos when I was in Saudi Arabia. Traded him a pair of desert boots for them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

[/thread]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The chocolate chip pattern was designed for western US desert areas.

I like it as-is, also it works very well when overdyed a little so that the lighter color matches the lighter color in woodland.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

[/thread]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/thread]

I'm kinda surprised that the poll is pretty even so far.  Not really interested in any "coolness" factor, just which one makes the most sense.  But I thought one would be favored more than the other, rather than a 50/50 split.

ETA: Oops ... re-checked the poll, no longer 50/50.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Chocolate chip... because NOMNOMNOM!
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I like it as-is, also it works very well when overdyed a little so that the lighter color matches the lighter color in woodland.
View Quote

After doing a little reading it sounds like the 6-color was intended for use in areas where there may be some rocks, whereas the 3-color is for areas that are pretty much just sand ... I think.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
The Afghan Border Police use (or used) a modified Chocolate Chip that added in some light olive areas.  Looked legit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#19]
All my gear is still woodland or chocolate-chip.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Between the 3 and 6 I like the chocolate chip but my favorite camo for lower and upper desert environments are the King's Desert Shadow and Mountain Shadow. Damn good patten.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#21]
3-color.  When it fades a little it gets even better for the Southwest.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

After doing a little reading it sounds like the 6-color was intended for use in areas where there may be some rocks, whereas the 3-color is for areas that are pretty much just sand ... I think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the choco chip pattern was developed for desert warfare because the fucking lab rats at Natick didn't know there was a difference between New Mexico and the Saudi Rub' al Khali!
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#23]
For arid regions AUSCAM is hands down the best I have ever seen. Its goofy looking but it works!

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#24]
NIR performance on them sucks.  But Choco chip for teh cool.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#25]
3 color may work better, but I like the chocolate chip pattern because that's what I wore in Desert Storm and I just think it's a cool looking pattern.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I prefer the one I wore professionally, the tri color.  

My dad flew B-52s in Desert Storm/Shield and he wore green flight suits for that, so no chocolate chips in my house.
View Quote
The tri-color is better than the 6. That always reminded of the same pattern they used on maps to describe a desert area. Of course, we still had black boots in those days, so we just wore the pants unbloused to try and hide those. Why is it that the powers that be can never think an idea all the way through??????????????????????????????????? It boggles the mind!

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, the choco chip pattern was developed for desert warfare because the fucking lab rats at Natick didn't know there was a difference between New Mexico and the Saudi Rub' al Khali!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A quick Google search turns up this ...

That's not like New Mexico, you say?  

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Chippies is cool because it reminds me of the 90s.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#29]
British DPM is perfect for desert regions.    I've been buying a bunch and my buddies all say it is perfect for our area.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

British DPM is perfect for desert regions.   I've been buying a bunch and my buddies all say it is perfect for our area.
View Quote

Where have you been buying them?

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

British DPM is perfect for desert regions.   I've been buying a bunch and my buddies all say it is perfect for our area.

Sportsmans Guide has them used and new.    New shipment is due this month, but I just got some new stuff last week.     I'm 6'3" 34x34 and LG is perfect for the jackets, pants and shirts.   The LG boonie hat is too small for my 7 1/4" size head.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For arid regions AUSCAM is hands down the best I have ever seen. Its goofy looking but it works!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0nS9wP5--Cw/T_1-KA8RRKI/AAAAAAAAAgM/s1cA1o3Y_58/s1600/australian-camouflage.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a rabbit / platypus orgy.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Desert MARPAT (or digital desert if you don't want the EGA) blows either the 3 color or chocolate chip out of the water in actual effectiveness. If I were concerned about getting the most effective camo for an arid region, this would be my pick.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I opted for 3 color desert. The new arid Multicam looks like 3 color desert on steroids. Figured there must be something to it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#37]
desert tiger stripe

but as far as poll is concerned: Choco
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I opted for 3 color desert. The new arid Multicam looks like 3 color desert on steroids. Figured there must be something to it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TzKcOW-BHqA/UpS1MVUs0eI/AAAAAAAAHOY/j7mS9DWQ60Q/s400/MulticamArid.jpg
View Quote

Hmmm.  Hadn't seen that before.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TzKcOW-BHqA/UpS1MVUs0eI/AAAAAAAAHOY/j7mS9DWQ60Q/s400/MulticamArid.jpg

Here it is "at work"

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#40]
6-color

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I found it flip-flopped in my experiments. The rocks tend to be one or two colors with some soft shading and shapes. The brush has some angles and texture with the sticks and leaves creating detailed texture favoring chocolate chips. Of course there are bushes in the rocks ... and rocks in the bush ... and peanut butter on my chocolate.

Where's Waldo?

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/user/AR-15_Paul/media/Pro-Gun%20Statements/HomeontheRange_zps71e10c62.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/Pro-Gun%20Statements/HomeontheRange_zps71e10c62.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found it flip-flopped in my experiments. The rocks tend to be one or two colors with some soft shading and shapes. The brush has some angles and texture with the sticks and leaves creating detailed texture favoring chocolate chips. Of course there are bushes in the rocks ... and rocks in the bush ... and peanut butter on my chocolate.

Where's Waldo?

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/user/AR-15_Paul/media/Pro-Gun%20Statements/HomeontheRange_zps71e10c62.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/Pro-Gun%20Statements/HomeontheRange_zps71e10c62.jpg</a>

Hiding in the vehicle. You cant' trick me ...

So, where is Waldo?

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Desert Tiger Stripe
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#43]
For most of the places that I need it, SoCal and Eastern Sierras - the desert 3 color is perfect. The chocolate chip pattern works perfectly in areas like Palms Springs or Yucca Valley where there are a lot of pebbles and river rock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Chocolate chips are more awesome in my opinion. I did enjoy wearing the tricolor deserts though... Everyone thought I was in the Army so the Motard SNCOs left me the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This !! To be cool you have to look cool . been the rules as long as I have been on this website
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top