Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 7:08:43 PM EDT
Shot by homeowner on overlooking hill while talking to a driver he had stopped for a traffic violation.

http://kcal9.com/topstories/topstoriesla_story_181190913.html

"ALISO VIEJO, Calif. (CBS) An Aliso Viejo man remained jailed on $1 million bail Monday for allegedly firing an arrow that pierced the calf of an Orange County sheriff's deputy.

Tri Thanh Lam, 44, was arrested Sunday on suspicion of attempted murder, one day after the deputy was struck, said Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

The Orange County District Attorney's Office said Lam has not been charged. He is scheduled to make his first court appearance Tuesday, a jail clerk said.

The deputy had stopped a female motorist Saturday and was issuing her a warning at about 5:30 p.m. on Aliso Creek Road, between Hummingbird Lane and West Wing, Amormino said.

Investigators do not believe there was any link between the traffic stop and the arrow shooting.

[b]A patrol car camera captured an image of the hunting arrow as it came from a southeast direction and sank deep into the deputy's right calf, Amormino said.

The tape shows the deputy removing the arrow, which fractured a bone in his leg[/b], Amormino said.

The deputy let the woman motorist go..."
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
This guy shoots at a Cop with a BOW?? The name "Darwin" comes to mind...

Helpful hint: Should you ever be shot with an arrow, DON'T pull it out if the arrowhead cannot be readily identified as a field point; trying to remove a razorhead, or other such barbed or bladed arrowhead will increase the tissue damage, and probably bleeding, also.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
BAN BOWS AND ARROWS!
Compound Assault Bows have no use in a civilized society!
Oh think of the children! Oh wont you please think of the children?!!

[rolleyes] (Sorry, couldnt help myself [;)])
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess that he didnt get home safe today....
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
OUCH!  least he didnt get it where the sun dont shine!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh man, I don't know why but I got a kick out of that story.

Not that I think the officer getting shot is funny, (or anyone for that matter) or that I would wish it upon anyone...

But the whole mental image just seems comical to me...

"Another one of those drive by arrowings!"

And how did they catch the guy? Did the Californians make a little known law that requires anyone to register all their bows and arrows and put them into a ballistic fingerprint database when I wasn't looking?

Shot by homeowner on overlooking hill while talking to a driver he had stopped for a traffic violation.

[url]http://kcal9.com/topstories/topstoriesla_story_181190913.html[/url]

"ALISO VIEJO, Calif. (CBS) An Aliso Viejo man remained jailed on $1 million bail Monday for allegedly firing an arrow that pierced the calf of an Orange County sheriff's deputy.

Tri Thanh Lam, 44, was arrested Sunday on suspicion of attempted murder, one day after the deputy was struck, said Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

The Orange County District Attorney's Office said Lam has not been charged. He is scheduled to make his first court appearance Tuesday, a jail clerk said.

The deputy had stopped a female motorist Saturday and was issuing her a warning at about 5:30 p.m. on Aliso Creek Road, between Hummingbird Lane and West Wing, Amormino said.

[red]Investigators do not believe there was any link between the traffic stop and the arrow shooting.[/red]
View Quote

As it's pretty tough to sneak out of a vehicle... climb a hill unnoticed with a bow and arrow, and shoot an officer, all within the time it takes to issue a warning

[red]A patrol car camera captured an image of the hunting arrow as it came from a southeast direction[/red] and sank deep into the deputy's right calf, Amormino said.
View Quote

Dang, the video captured the evil arrow coming from that direction? Sounds like the officer could have used a daring sidekick like the crocidile hunter guy to deal with these unpredictible critters.

The tape shows the deputy removing the arrow, which fractured a bone in his leg, Amormino said.

[red]The deputy let the woman motorist go..." [/red]
View Quote

As opposed to cuffing her and arresting her for assisting the archer?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
du du du du dumb
"When they knocked at Lam's residence in the 40 block of King Eider, he [b]opened his garage door and deputies saw a bow and arrows[/b] that matched the one that struck the deputy, Amormino said."

What a mor[i]a[/i]n.  I sure would like to see a picture of that "hunting" arrow.  Anyone want to wager it's got a target point on it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like attempted murder to me. This guy is gonna,(hopefully), wish the cops had killed him, rather than prison..
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:41:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw the video. You can see the arrow enter the picture then the officer bends down and picks it up. It didn't look like he had to pull it out. From the video, I'm surprised he fractured a bone, although he did limp out of the shot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not if he actually was trying to kill the cop.  Broadhead arrow would zip right thru a vest.  Not to mention being silent.  The dumbass probably wasn't expecting there to be a patrol car vid camera.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess that he didnt get home safe today....
View Quote

HAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAA!  Good one!  Atleast he'll be ok though.  That's what happens when you turn law enforcement into HIGHWAY METER MAIDS.  

Notice all this stupid shit happens in Kalifornia?  Sword attacks in food stores, bow attacks on highways, constitutional attacks everyday...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Its just possible it was an accident.
I saw the video, if the arrow they held up was "the arrow" then it was a target point. Maybe he was shooting at targets in his yard and had a flyer.
Hee Hee, flyer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BAN BOWS AND ARROWS!
Compound Assault Bows have no use in a civilized society!
Oh think of the children! Oh wont you please think of the children?!!

[rolleyes] (Sorry, couldnt help myself [;)])
View Quote

Not so fast!

The Canadian gun law allows for the registration and lisencing for Crossbows...

This part of the law has been passed it has just not been brought into force yet!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#15]
So the guy was just messing around with a bow and shot a deputy by accident; he didn't even know where the arrow went. Talk about bad luck.

Watch your background.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I think it was a good shoot, the guy was probably in fear of his life when the deputy made furtive movements to his holstered weapon. Or he was saving the life of the motorist that was pulled over and he sensed the deputy was about to draw his gun and shoot her.

Hell, why not, works for the feds and leos.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I find arrows in my yard all the time,  expensive graphite ones.  One of my neighbors apparently needs some real help in the accuracy department.  When I reach an even 2 dozen I may go out and buy a recurve bow.

I once had a call to a domestic,  wifey showed up at the emergency room beat to heck,  hubby showed up a little later with a compound bow and tried to zap her as she exited.

Ever have to search a darkened parking lot for such a loon?  Shotgun vs broadheads.  We finally found him lying down in the back of a pickup with the bow ready to go, camoflage face paint and all.    
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Helpful hint: Should you ever be shot with an arrow, DON'T pull it out if the arrowhead cannot be readily identified as a field point; trying to remove a razorhead, or other such barbed or bladed arrowhead will increase the tissue damage, and probably bleeding, also.
View Quote

Don't pull it out even if it is a field, or target tipped arrow, as this will unplug an otherwise plugged hole, & allow the free flow of blood, or other fluids, & can complicate medical help.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Suspect was released today. Insufficient evidence that he intended to shoot the Deputy. No question that he did it, just that he didnt mean too.

No laws in california covering the negligent "discharge" of a compound bow. If it ewas an accident, this guy not only missed his intended target, he shot over his fence. Dumbass set his target in the direction of the major street that runs behind his house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top