Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2013 11:29:12 AM EDT
Backstory

Really weird story. There was a CNN piece today that went to it a little more too. It's a bit odd that they supposedly couldnt/wouldnt get a search warrant for his home though given how low the bar is set for that sort of thing. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Backstory

Really weird story. There was a CNN piece today that went to it a little more too. It's a bit odd that they supposedly couldnt/wouldnt get a search warrant for his home though given how low the bar is set for that sort of thing. Thoughts?

If you think the "bar" to getting a search warrant in a double homicide investigation is low I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would he choose to murder these two people, and ONLY these two people?  There seems to be nothing special about them.   It is a suspicious circumstance, but I would need much more to be convinced of his guilt.  Moreover, it sounds like a number of investigative tools have been tried that resulted in no evidence against him.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstory

If you think the "bar" to getting a search warrant in a double homicide investigation is low I don't know what to tell you.

Being the last person seen with two missing persons (presumed dead) with inconsistencies in your official statements that would come across to many folks as lies should be well above that bar in most jurisdictions. Search warrants arent particularly difficult to get, I've been told so here . And this case is full of all sorts of suspicious WTF.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why would he choose to murder these two people, and ONLY these two people?  There seems to be nothing special about them.   It is a suspicious circumstance, but I would need much more to be convinced of his guilt.  Moreover, it sounds like a number of investigative tools have been tried that resulted in no evidence against him.

It very well could be an odd coincidence. Weird shit happens all the time. But the changing story WRT to Williams and the failed poly immediately jump out as suspicious. It also seems very odd that there are no witnesses to his versions of events, at least his first version in the Williams case. No one saw the drop offs nor was there survailence footage at the stores. It doesnt amout to a crime necessarily, but it's definitely odd and indicative of deception for some reason. But why?
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstory

Being the last person seen with two missing persons (presumed dead) with inconsistencies in your official statements that would come across to many folks as lies should be well above that bar in most jurisdictions. Search warrants arent particularly difficult to get, I've been told so here . And this case is full of all sorts of suspicious WTF.

After reading that story, that is nowhere near PC needed for a search warrant anywhere that I've been.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought you had to kill at least 3 people before technically being classified as a "serial killer"
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
OP- are you the real killer?
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought you had to kill at least 3 people before technically being classified as a "serial killer"

Sorry I'm not up on the terminology, that very well could be the case.

I was just trying to present the two furthest ends of the spectrum of possibilities in this bizarre set of circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP- are you the real killer?

No, no.  Vietnamese hookers under the age of 25 are my thing, not random hood rats.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, 3 kills, with a period of time in between them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]
There are no such things as coincidences in police work!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstory

Consider that there is absolutely no physical evidence to suggest that he did it, or even to suggest that a crime was committed. Hispanic landscapers disappear in Florida all the time. That guy was an illegal and he may have moved on for any number of reasons that seemed good to him. He's an illegal alien. He could be using anybody's name and working in all kinds of cash jobs that will never care who he really is.

The other guy is more interesting. This website: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/williams_terrance.html treats his story as if he may be the victim of crime, but they do not portray him in such a kind and victimly light.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Smells like a witch hunt.

But Tyler Perry is on the case....  marching fro civil rights.

Usual suspects will be along shortly to start yelling for justice and free stuff.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#14]
The ghost of Manuel Pardo?
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstory

Consider that there is absolutely no physical evidence to suggest that he did it, or even to suggest that a crime was committed. Hispanic landscapers disappear in Florida all the time. That guy was an illegal and he may have moved on for any number of reasons that seemed good to him. He's an illegal alien. He could be using anybody's name and working in all kinds of cash jobs that will never care who he really is.

The other guy is more interesting. This website: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/williams_terrance.html treats his story as if he may be the victim of crime, but they do not portray him in such a kind and victimly light.

I would agree there. If there is nothing nefarious (whatever that may be) then why lie about interacting with Williams 4 days later? That part may not be in the article.  What's there to gain? And why fail the poly (before walking out IIRC) when questioned on the consistency of your second version of events? I dont think we can say for certain what's happening here, but it doesnt quite smell right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would agree there. If there is nothing nefarious (whatever that may be) then why lie about interacting with Williams 4 days later? That part may not be in the article.  What's there to gain? And why fail the poly (before walking out IIRC) when questioned on the consistency of your second version of events? I dont think we can say for certain what's happening here, but it doesnt quite smell right.

The pair of disappearances is suggestive, as is the deputy's claim that he called the store to ask about Williams when his phone records show that the call did not happen. It could also be bad memory and it could demonstrate that he didn't care enough about the contact to make up a convincing lie.

Regarding polygraph tests, I give them zero credibility. I wouldn't personally submit to one and I can see how someone might take offense, both personal and legal, to the process. It's an interesting story, but without some evidence that a crime was committed, it's just a story. Also, if the deputy was a serial killer of people he contacted while working as a police officer, you'd expect there to be a lot more disappearances and a lot more questionable actions by him.

If either of them turn up dead, he will have some serious explaining to do.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pair of disappearances is suggestive, as is the deputy's claim that he called the store to ask about Williams when his phone records show that the call did not happen. It could also be bad memory and it could demonstrate that he didn't care enough about the contact to make up a convincing lie.

Regarding polygraph tests, I give them zero credibility. I wouldn't personally submit to one and I can see how someone might take offense, both personal and legal, to the process. It's an interesting story, but without some evidence that a crime was committed, it's just a story. Also, if the deputy was a serial killer of people he contacted while working as a police officer, you'd expect there to be a lot more disappearances and a lot more questionable actions by him.

If either of them turn up dead, he will have some serious explaining to do.

This is Arfcom not a jury room (thank God), we're here to speculate.

You would think, but had this woman not seen him load Williams into the back of the squad car he likely wouldnt have been connected with him either or forced to alter his story. If someone hasn't already, it may be illuminating to investigate his background longer term and with more attention to depth/detail.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It very well could be an odd coincidence. Weird shit happens all the time. But the changing story WRT to Williams and the failed poly immediately jump out as suspicious. It also seems very odd that there are no witnesses to his versions of events, at least his first version in the Williams case. No one saw the drop offs nor was there survailence footage at the stores. It doesnt amout to a crime necessarily, but it's definitely odd and indicative of deception for some reason. But why?

He didn't "fail the poly".  He took a poly THREE times and ONE "indicated some deception". What the fuck does that mean? And what question specifically was he answering?

John
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't "fail the poly".  He took a poly THREE times and ONE "indicated some deception". What the fuck does that mean? And what question specifically was he answering?

John

That wasn't indicated in the article I read. It just mentioned a deceptive  finding on a single poly, and I think a failure to "cooperate".

During an internal investigation Calkins failed a polygraph test pertaining to contact with Terrance Williams and ultimately refused to cooperate, according to Hunter.

http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florida/2012-04-03/New-lead-in-Collier-missing-persons-cases#.UQG3HR1IifY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top