Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 11:02:33 AM EDT
LA sheriff's deputy relieved of duty after sex allegations

Wednesday June 25, 2003
LOS ANGELES (AP) A veteran sheriff's deputy was relieved of duty after he was allegedly videotaped having sex with a prostitute in his patrol car.

Deputy Gilbert Martinez has denied the allegations. He was fired earlier this month by Sheriff Lee Baca.

Martinez allegedly engaged in a sex act in his patrol car, law enforcement sources told the Los Angeles Times. The incident was videotaped by a friend of the woman, but after Martinez learned of the taping, he allegedly threatened the pair and recovered the videotape, authorities said.

Law enforcement sources said prosecutors are considering whether to charge the deputy with coercing the woman into a sex act under the color of authority.

Bill McSweeney, chief of the sheriff's Training Division, said the internal probe began about 10 months ago and was forwarded to prosecutors a week ago. At least one other employee also is under internal investigation and has been assigned to administrative duties, he said.

Sheriff's officials first learned of allegations against Martinez in May 2001 from an anonymous caller, law enforcement sources said. The report was referred to the Sheriff's Department, where a lieutenant at the Lennox station remembered the call about Martinez and began an investigation, sources said.

He and other supervisors checked Martinez's log and found the names of several prostitutes, one of whom alleged she was the woman who was videotaped, law enforcement sources said.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats [b]NOTHING[/b].

How about 163 cases from 1995 to 2001?

[url]http://www.kyw1060.com/news_story_detail.cfm?newsitemid=30353[/url]

Allegations of misconduct included sex in police cruisers and barracks
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#2]
What a fucking dope.  If some people had just  a little common sense, they would be dangerous.  You would think that an LEO would know better.

Steven
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, at least the hooker was off the street for a few minutes anyway.

Great job officer!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
..the internal probe began about 10 months ago ...
View Quote

He said "probe."
He and other supervisors checked Martinez's log and found the names of several prostitutes...
View Quote
Kinky! Oh, his log[b]book[/b], not his, you know, "log."[naughty]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Was he trying to feel like a "layman"?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#6]
They fire the guy having sex but do nothing about their murderers.

[url]www.fear.org/scott.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#7]
That happened in my county just under a year ago.  Deputy was caught in patrol car, on duty in the middle of the afternoon. Was caught by the county attorney on his way to go fishing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if the LAPD will confiscate the car?

===============================================
Car seizures would fight prostitution

By James Nash
Staff Writer

Saying the city needs a new weapon against prostitution, a Los Angeles City Council panel on Monday unanimously endorsed a proposal to seize the cars of those who solicit streetwalkers.
Councilman Tom LaBonge championed the measure as a way to deal with a growing and stubborn problem of prostitution in his Hollywood-area district and along Sepulveda Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley.

The measure, endorsed by four members of the council's Public Safety Committee, awaits a vote by the full council.

Current city law allows police to impound a car for 48 hours before it is returned to its owner with a fee. The proposed policy would allow the city to take ownership of the vehicle.

With an arrest or determination of probable cause, a police officer could seize a car used by a john. The City Attorney's Office then would decide whether to have the car auctioned, with proceeds split among the lien holder, the City Attorney's Office and the Police Department.

A vehicle owner maintaining his innocence would have 10 days to file an appeal of the forfeiture. A Los Angeles Superior Court judge would rule on whether to return the vehicle.

Deputy City Attorney Asha Greenberg said that provision would satisfy concerns that an innocent person's car might be seized and sold before he goes on trial on a soliciting charge.

Oakland, Sacramento and Stockton have laws to seize cars used in prostitution. Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. Alan Hamilton said the tough laws in those cities have pushed some prostitution south to Los Angeles.

"We've shouldered the burden for Southern California prostitution long enough," said Hamilton, who has worked on the anti-prostitution legislation for the LAPD. "Unquestionably, we're looking for deterrence. It's not a moneymaker."

Hamilton said he expects that nearly all vehicle seizures under the new law would occur during sting operations, because otherwise it's difficult to prove that someone was soliciting a prostitute. The law only provides for the confiscation of cars used by johns, not prostitutes or pimps.

LAPD divisions conduct prostitution stings about once a month, with more possible in problem areas such as Hollywood and Van Nuys, Hamilton said.

City officials said that if the anti-prostitution effort succeeds, it could open the door to seizing cars used in other crimes. Councilwoman Wendy Greuel has proposed confiscating cars used repeatedly in street races. On Monday, Councilman Jack Weiss suggested changing the law so that the city could seize cars used in gang activities.

Weiss' suggestion was not formally considered Monday, although he said he plans to revisit the issue after the prostitution measure goes into effect.

Weiss was joined by council members Dennis Zine, Cindy Miscikowski and Nick Pacheco in endorsing the anti-prostitution measure Monday.

"I think this is a great idea to eradicate the problem," Zine said. -- James Nash
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey it's just about sex, it is private between 2 adults. It is nobody else's business......
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
At least he went home safe.....
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I had sex at Hardees working the 7p-11a shift we used to have in the summers.  I think having sex on your job is an added bonus that not many people take advantage of like they should.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]At least he went home safe.....[/b]

...and satisfied.

weird. i see no mention of a dead dog being involved in the sex act.

dogs are people, too!

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They fire the guy having sex but do nothing about their murderers.

[url]www.fear.org/scott.html[/url]
View Quote

[BS]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Goddammit!  It's getting so PC out there that a cop on duty can't even boink in his patrol car.  What the fuck is going on here?  I'm gonna give the Kali Governor a call I think.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#15]
IF he had sex on duty, in his patrol car, with a prostitute, he should be fired. i mean how is he going to justify it? I was on my unpaid lunch break and she was a willing participant?

However I cant get too fired up about this. When the President, got oral sex in his workplace, from his own emloyee...

Workplace sex happens in all lines of work. I have seen many female suspects offer to trade sexual favor for a break. To their credit, Ive never seen an officer act on it. Unfortunatety the DA does not consider such an offer bribery so you cant bring additional charges against some slut that makes that offer.

Irvine PD had a group of officers who formed a little "club". They made up pins they awarded to women they stabbed on duty, in their cruisers. This is in an agency that only hires older officers with at least a BA, becuase young guys just out of the military are "too agressive". At least a military guy knows self control and discipline and wont be trying to throw the stones to the local girls he meets while on duty.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wonder if the LAPD will confiscate the car?

===============================================
Car seizures would fight prostitution

By James Nash
Staff Writer

Saying the city needs a new weapon against prostitution, a Los Angeles City Council panel on Monday unanimously endorsed a proposal to seize the cars of those who solicit streetwalkers.
Councilman Tom LaBonge championed the measure as a way to deal with a growing and stubborn problem of prostitution in his Hollywood-area district and along Sepulveda Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley.

The measure, endorsed by four members of the council's Public Safety Committee, awaits a vote by the full council.

Current city law allows police to impound a car for 48 hours before it is returned to its owner with a fee. The proposed policy would allow the city to take ownership of the vehicle.

With an arrest or determination of probable cause, a police officer could seize a car used by a john. The City Attorney's Office then would decide whether to have the car auctioned, with proceeds split among the lien holder, the City Attorney's Office and the Police Department.

A vehicle owner maintaining his innocence would have 10 days to file an appeal of the forfeiture. A Los Angeles Superior Court judge would rule on whether to return the vehicle.

Deputy City Attorney Asha Greenberg said that provision would satisfy concerns that an innocent person's car might be seized and sold before he goes on trial on a soliciting charge.

Oakland, Sacramento and Stockton have laws to seize cars used in prostitution. Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. Alan Hamilton said the tough laws in those cities have pushed some prostitution south to Los Angeles.

"We've shouldered the burden for Southern California prostitution long enough," said Hamilton, who has worked on the anti-prostitution legislation for the LAPD. "Unquestionably, we're looking for deterrence. It's not a moneymaker."

Hamilton said he expects that nearly all vehicle seizures under the new law would occur during sting operations, because otherwise it's difficult to prove that someone was soliciting a prostitute. The law only provides for the confiscation of cars used by johns, not prostitutes or pimps.

LAPD divisions conduct prostitution stings about once a month, with more possible in problem areas such as Hollywood and Van Nuys, Hamilton said.

City officials said that if the anti-prostitution effort succeeds, it could open the door to seizing cars used in other crimes. Councilwoman Wendy Greuel has proposed confiscating cars used repeatedly in street races. On Monday, Councilman Jack Weiss suggested changing the law so that the city could seize cars used in gang activities.

Weiss' suggestion was not formally considered Monday, although he said he plans to revisit the issue after the prostitution measure goes into effect.

Weiss was joined by council members Dennis Zine, Cindy Miscikowski and Nick Pacheco in endorsing the anti-prostitution measure Monday.

"I think this is a great idea to eradicate the problem," Zine said. -- James Nash
View Quote

I have a real problem with a County that thinks it fair to take an automobile worth $30,000 or MORE, for a misdemeanor crime that probably has a maximum fine of $1000. Soliciting is petty shit in my book. California is sooo screwed up!!! I left there 5 years ago and never looked back.
--RR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top