Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2002 8:12:39 PM EDT
Does Saint John's wort really work against depression? What other non-prescription stuff works?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you should stay on your prescription meds and go to group on Monday.  If you are severe tonight call your sponsor or call me.  I'll help you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Sex with hot womenz

2. Beer
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Geez man, I am serious.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
[s]Sorry bud, just trying to cheer you up. Hang in there![/s]

Quit your crying you little dweeb. Get a life. You mean you even paid for a team membership under an alias? If I were you, I'd be depressed too. Must really suck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
St john's doesn't work.

The amino acid tyrosine DOES work.  I definitely recommend it.  

Also look for aminos called phenylamides they sell in health food stores.  I will look into it further for you.

But Tyrosine really works, and it is sold in health food stores.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are that serious, you should seek professional help.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
What I meant was phenyalanine.
[url]http://www.herbaladvisor.com/qlinks/xq/asp/mvsId.32/qx/aminoacids.htm#go[/url]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Do a Web search and judge for yourself.
The information I have seen is that it is therapeutic for cases of MILD depresion, not SEVERE, you should have a professional diagnosis before taking any medication, either herbal or prescription.
Or, then again you could just start popping pills and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok thanks. I will try to find tyrosine at the store.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Imbroglio, are you clinically depressed or is the root cause something else.  How long have you felt this way?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Since last sunday.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Forget the natural approach. My very best friend went through a huge depression. He saw a shrink who told him MANY anti-depressants can have sexual side effects.

He wouldn't take them because of that. Finally, it just got to the point where me and most of his family were telling him to get on something. He went to the shrink, and was put on Wellbutrin.

3 weeks later he was a new man, felt really pretty good. Not un-naturally good, just good. No sexual side effects. He's got a BEAUTIFUL girl friend who's told my girl that he's a work horse in bed. Guess it worked out on all fronts.

Anyway, I'd look in to it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Wellbutrin is know for its lack of sexual side affects. Its pushed under the name Zyban for smoking addiction. You cant drink alcohol with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]
It works, just not particularly well.  It can also interfere with other medications, so be sure to discuss it with your physician if you are on anything else.  Since it's a "natural" product, the quality of the pills vary pretty widely (even from batch to batch of the same brand);  some of it is about as effective as cabbage.

Getting laid a lot helps.  So does exercise.  So does money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]
Quoted:
Getting laid a lot helps.  So does exercise.  So does money.
View Quote
[/b]

I would like to add buying a new gun helps too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Since last sunday.
View Quote

So what triggered the depression?
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#17]
When I first got together with my girlfriend, our status was very shaky, and I got depressed often. Went to a pharmacy and bought some St. John's Wort. The good stuff. Paid a lot for it. Didn't seem to work on me.

If you really want to feel better, here are 2 things that work for me:

1. Banannas (They really do contain a chemical that makes people happy. They are good for you, and seem to cheer me up)
2. Work out. (It NEVER EVER fails. I ALWAYS feel better after I work out. It sucks to motivate myself to go, but I ALWAYS feel better afterwards)

Hope this helps.

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#18]
... Hey bro, call some friends or family. Spend some time with someone you like. I'm serious.
I have a brother that uses serotonin reuptake inhibitors but I wouldn't do that unless its a last resort.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wellbutrin is know for its lack of sexual side affects. Its pushed under the name Zyban for smoking addiction. You cant drink alcohol with it.
View Quote

Guess nobody told my buddy that. He drinks on a fairly regular basis and seems just fine. I'm sure you're probably right though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Try compound W.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Dude, keep your chin up and dont bother with over the counter. Most insurance will cover all of those type of Meds and it is even cheaper going that route!

and on a friendly note..... DON"T think about WOMENZ, they will drive you crazy!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.

Almost 5000 posts of mostly tongue in cheek, and this thread asking if wart medicine is effective agaist depression, and some of you are giving serious replies. Hhhmmm, what am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#23]
The best thing that you could do if you really want to do the most complete and best thing is go to your primary care physicain and explain to him/her that you are depressed and you need some medication. If your primary care physician will not do this get into see a phyciatrist,not a phycologist because phycologist cannot prescribe medication, immediatley for they can prescribe something for you. herbal supplemnts are not real reliable
for you do not know the quality of the herbal suppliment. I take zoloft and I have had no sexual side effects, if anything it has helped me to last longer and enjoy the sex better.
depression is not only an emotion issue but it is a brain issue. your brain produces chemicals such as seritonine,dopomine,and i canot recall the other but these chemicals help your brain to process things going through the nero pathways in your brain. If sertonine is lacking one of the signs is depression. medication such as zoloft or welbutrin is what is called a seritonine uptake inhibitor, basically the medication replaces the seritonine in your brain. the reason why exerciseing makes one feel better afterwards is that exersicing helps stimulate your brain to absorb more of the seritone , so a combination of approved medication such as zoloft,welbutrin,or a prescribed medication, not herbal supplemnts, and exersize is the best thing to do. Please seek help immidiatly because depression untreated correctly can lead to some really bad things. when i get depressed i get real irritable and at times angry and this causes issues between my wife and i, i wish that i would have gone on medication years ago because it would have saved me alot of heart ache.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Almost 5000 posts of mostly tongue in cheek, and this thread asking if wart medicine is effective agaist depression, and some of you are giving serious replies. Hhhmmm, what am I missing?
View Quote

... hook, line, and sinker!

Gee, wasn't it a week ago that poor Imbro got an invite and *free* tickets to the SHOT show, and couldn't go?

"wart medicine"  LOL!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know if your reply was tongue in cheek or not, but if not, St. John's Wort is not for warts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Work out, bananas,(I've never tried bananas, I like Jim Beam) friends, family, like the other guys said, get some Laurel&Hardy tapes, HANG IN THERE.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know if your reply was tongue in cheek or not, but if not, St. John's Wort is not for warts.
View Quote

Uhhhhhhh, yes and no. I was trying to [i]cover[/i] all the bases.[url]www.herbalorganic.com/article1005.html[/url]

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I second Papa101's advice go and see your doctor post haste it may be a transient thing that you will come out of quickly or might take a longer period of treatment to resolve but either way there are a lot of good medications out there that can help you feel better.
As tempting as it might be to go tie on a good one Alcohol is a depressant and will make matters worse. If you are just in a funk and need to break out of it go get some friends and hit the bars, but if you are truly depressed dont drink. I know it is hard to tell the difference sometimes but you sound pretty sure it is depression. If that is the case you need to see a doctor you will not just cheer up or feel better by yourself. Good luck. get some help and life can be better. BTW welbutrin is nice becuase it is a very mild antidepressant and as far as sexual side effects I havent seen any at all(sideffects) I only stayed on it for a few months till I got myself back to feeling right about myself and my life all the time. And it is also prescribed to aid in quitting smoking so my medical ins co didnt list me as a "depressive". And I quit smoking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Uhhhhhhh, yes and no. I was trying to [i]cover[/i] all the bases.[url]www.herbalorganic.com/article1005.html[/url]

View Quote

So there [b]are[/b] two different herbs?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#31]
While I realize this thread is very tongue-in-cheek, I find it [u]completely fucking repulsive[/u] to be joking like this, after having lost "BrianCav" last month! [pissed]

Either this thread disappears, or I may just reveal who "Imbroglio" actually is ([i]other username[/i])...  and he's a very senior member!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
While I realize this thread is very tongue-in-cheek, I find it [u]completely fucking repulsive[/u] to be joking like this, after having lost "BrianCav" last month! [pissed]

Either this thread disappears, or I may just reveal who "Imbroglio" actually is ([i]other username[/i])...  and he's a very senior member!
View Quote

antiUSSA,
do you mean the "TOPIC" was posted tongue-in-cheek ?  The entire topic ??
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of us were [b]not[/b]joking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of us were [b]not[/b]joking.
View Quote

That's why I aked my question above.  I think I have some ability to recognize subtle humor but detected no humor - subtle or otherwise - in the topic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly!
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe I had my subtle-humor-detector in the "OFF" position.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Millions of people suffer from warts. Warts are unattractive and embarassing. Wart Free™ is an effective, all-natural skin care product that has helped countless numbers of people eliminate warts. While not a serious health problem, warts can easily be spread to other parts of the body. It is also important to note that warts are contagious and can be spread to those around you. You don't need to suffer with warts any longer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Imbroglio is a made up persona by another member, and this particular personna is a fictictional manic depressant...

If this person is actually feeling this way, then using his real identity would be suitable, but we all know that posting as "Imbroglio" is a joke, and nothing more!
[list]
[*]Depressed because he can't attend ShotShow...[/*]
[*]Depressed because he has no womenz...[/*]
[*]Depressed because his Kettle-Korn stand was robbed...[/*]
[*]Depressed because he only has a 10/22 and a 38...[/*]

Take your pick, but the timing is horrendous, and there is absolutely NO humor in this!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Imbroglio is a made up persona by another member, and this particular personna is a fictictional manic depressant...

If this person is actually feeling this way, then using his real identity would be suitable, but we all know that posting as "Imbroglio" is a joke, and nothing more!
View Quote

We all didn't know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Warts are caused by the Human Papillomavirus (HPV). HPV is a virus that attacks the outer skin layer, stimulating the epidermal cells, causing the formation of benign skin tumors (warts). Wart Free attacks this virus and helps eliminate the tumor from the skins surface, leaving the skin clear and healthy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#42]
I would say *most* of what Imbro posts is a waste of time... but then some people like it, I guess.  I mean, look, even Carrot Top has his fans...

Anti, you sure have strange standards, and apparently still have a finger on the button.  Are you or aren't you a mod?

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

We all didn't know.
View Quote

No, "we" all didn't know.  (I sure didn't.)

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Wart Free™ is formulated to help target and remove most types of warts such as:
- Common Warts
- Flat Warts
- Plantar Warts
- Genital Warts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anti, you sure have strange standards, and apparently still have a finger on the button.  Are you or aren't you a mod?
View Quote

Nothing strange about what is perceived as being sick humor that is posted at a very bad time...  

And no, I'm not a MOD anymore...  If I was, I would have nuked this thread on site!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing strange about what is perceived as being sick humor that is posted at a very bad time...  

And no, I'm not a MOD anymore...  If I was, I would have nuked this thread on sight!
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#47]
That's just great. In that case I take back my earlier post:
Quoted:
Sorry bud, just trying to cheer you up. Hang in there!
View Quote

And replace it with:
Quoted:
Quit your crying you little dweeb. Get a life. You mean you even paid for a team membership under an alias? If I were you, I'd be depressed too. Must really suck.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#48]
I agree with you Anti - very poor timing for this sort of "humor". Serious depression is nothing to joke about anyway. Here at AR15, we try to help each other out as much as possible when things are tough, and "pretending" you have a serious problem is total BS.

Tyler

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#49]
How Wart Free™ Works

First, you simply apply Wart Free to the wart. A process that is easily repeated until the skin is clear and healthy looking. (WartFree can be used anywhere, at home or at the office. Complete product usage instructions will be included with your order
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top