Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 1:23:04 AM EDT
Hello all:

I haven't been able to post in quite awhile because I have been dealing with primitive screwheads (Iraqi policemen) and getting over a full blown liver infection here in Iraq.  But things are looking up.  I am inside of the 90 day window for coming home and thoughts have turned to renewing my favorite pastime...buying guns!

Here is my quandry.  I already have the AR niche filled.  I own a RRA/Bushmaster M-4 clone and a Colt AR-15 from the 60s.  I am now turning my attention to the 7.62x51 battle rifle category.  I WAS planning on purchasing another one of LRB arms hammer forged, made in the USA, barrelled M14 recievers and building it up into a rifle.  I had one of these before deployment but had to sell it in order to buy all the tactical goodies you need over here, but that Uncle Sam doesn't provide.  I really loved that rifle and it broke my heart to sell it.

But now I have come across the DSA SA58 Tactical Carbine and my mind is starting to stray.  Cash is tight as always and I will only be able to get one or the other.  The LRB is gonna cost a bit more than the DSA, and the DSA takes cheaper mags and thats a consideration since to me 15 mags is about minimum for any serious battle rifle.  What should I do???  Anyone have experience with the DSA?  I love the M14 with all me heart, but I keep looking at that DSA ad!

Help!

AH SHIT!  Looks like my Member Status is about to expire too!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]
"What" rifle?

You need an "S" there buddy. I'm jsut getting ready to head home from Baghdad. Bought over 5 firearms while i was here. All sitting back home ready for me to make sweet sweet loving to them.

of course, i've got no family to support, so that HFP/IDP goes to the ammo fund.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Get an LRB M14.  

Max
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#3]
NAM,

Thanks, I really wish I could get both!!! But I have a wife and two kids.  Maybe I will come back for a year with KBR or Blackwater just to buy guns...hey, then I would be able to get into Class III!  BTW  I like your sigline about being polite but having a plan to kill everyone you meet.  Thats reality over here when dealing with LNs!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Can’t tell ya what rifle to get, but I’ll tell ya this................Thank You for your service!

From the entire Quib Family!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
JackBurton: Glad to hear from you again.

I would get both, BUT not both at the sametime. ie get one, then later get the other. I certainly did not buy both at the sametime, otherwise I wouldn't be here today, wife would've killed me; and she would've gotten away with murder, because the jury would've sympathized with her.

Anyways back to the subject at hand, I would go with the LRB/M14 type rifle. The cost of these things won't get any cheaper, and over time they would just increase. According to the website they are built on a an all USGI parts, true USGI parts are getting scarce, Springfield Armory no longer builds their M1As with all USGI parts because they are out. The small productions rates of the LRB enables them to give you an all USGI part. The FAL type guns are world built guns that face zero shortage of parts in the future, barring any action from the govt regulation.

You don't have to get the true USGI mags, there plenty of more reasonabled price Taiwan mags that are  every bit as good as the USGI versions that is available. Maybe a few USGI mags just for laughs and giggles. I have both, a Springfield Armory M1A NM on a walnut stock with all USGI parts bought in 1990, and an Springfield Armory SAR-48(built on an Brazilian IMbel receiver).

Here is my opinion, get the LRB M14 type because true USGI parts are getting scarcer. Now your  quandary, do I want the USGI birch or the fiberglass stock? That's a personal decision that I can't help you with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get an LRB M14.  

Max

When faced with the same problem of wanting two items, I buy the more expensive one first.  That way, if my "itch" isn't scratched good enough, getting it "scratched" a second time costs less .

Get the M1A/M14 platform, if not, you know it will eat at you.  You can always pick up a DSA/FAL type rifle.  But like stated above, USGI M14 stuff is in high demand and will only get worse over time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a DSA STG58A, basicly a kit gun they built with their receiver and some other parts added in.  It looked brand new, I could not tell the used parts from the new. Very reliable and pretty accurate.  It was alittle more than some others, but I think it was worth it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#9]
No pistol grip? No thanks.

Get the FAL.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get an LRB M14.  

Max

When faced with the same problem of wanting two items, I buy the more expensive one first.  That way, if my "itch" isn't scratched good enough, getting it "scratched" a second time costs less .

Get the M1A/M14 platform, if not, you know it will eat at you.  You can always pick up a DSA/FAL type rifle.  But like stated above, USGI M14 stuff is in high demand and will only get worse over time.

Yep, this is what I am thinking!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Lrb M14 !!! I got all the parts together for a shorty Para Fal and I keep thinking I should sell it all and add another M14 to the stable.The Fal is a good weapon but no one sit's and stares admiringly at it's absolute savage beauty or thinks to themselves that they'll never be able to outshoot it.Put an M14 to your shoulder and you'll swear God himself designed it just for you.Can you tell I love my "Queen of the Battle Rifles".  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#12]
How about some cool legal stuff from the sandbox?  Afganistan has some great prices on muskets and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Afghanistan has all the cool stuff!  I know a guy who brought home 3 WWII German helmets (who knows how they got there) and a nice collection of bayonnets.

Over here I bought and Iraqi AK bayo with arabic markings to put on my el cheapo WASR and I almost bought a PRISTINE German Mauser bayonet with the same mfg and year stamp as the K98 I have at home, but the barrel ring was ground off and the guy wanted $95 for it!  Maybe if the ring was there, but not without.  The bazaars I have been to here in Baghdad suck!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:26:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Lrb M14 !!! I got all the parts together for a shorty Para Fal and I keep thinking I should sell it all and add another M14 to the stable.The Fal is a good weapon but no one sit's and stares admiringly at it's absolute savage beauty or thinks to themselves that they'll never be able to outshoot it.Put an M14 to your shoulder and you'll swear God himself designed it just for you.Can you tell I love my "Queen of the Battle Rifles".  

Thats just what I felt when I got my last LRB together...  Then the FRAGO for deployment came up and all the shit I had to buy.  Looking back I wish I had sold the AR, the 92FS, and the AK I had, but I used them to help train my guys for coming over here.  We're National Guard and the weapons training is woefully inadequate.  Most of the soldiers in my unit never even held an M9 or an AK!  I'll sell all three when I get home to get my LRB though, if I have too!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:51:11 AM EDT
[#15]
JackBurton,

glad to hear your deployment time is short and will soon be home

re: the 7.62x51, have you looked at the XCR? (turns out they dropped the 762x51 but have 6.8, 5.56, and 762x39 offerings)

looks like it wil be a serious ass-kicker

Just a thought......... (LINK HERE)

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:14:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Are the XCR series rifles actually available yet? I haven't seen anything on the 7.62 x 39 offering either, other than the video. I wonder if they had problems with the caliber change?

Dave
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What should I do???

Find the cheapest rifle ammo in your area and start from there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
JackBurton,

glad to hear your deployment time is short and will soon be home

re: the 7.62x51, have you looked at the XCR? (turns out they dropped the 762x51 but have 6.8, 5.56, and 762x39 offerings)

looks like it wil be a serious ass-kicker

Just a thought......... (LINK HERE)

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/XCR-L20CQC20LS20copy681x255.jpg

That's an ugly motherfucker. I like it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
After a year there, I would say get whatever you want.  That said, hard to beat the FAL.  Nothing wrong with the DSA and the kit built's are getting scarecer by the day.  I have also had smiths say that the new century built guns are a fantastic bargain and rival DSA in quality for a fraction of the price.  Notice I said new though.  There were some from a couple years ago that are not so wonderful in the receiver spec area.  Anything built on a DSA or Imbel receiver however should prove to be great.

+1

Of course, you have to get both. But I'd say FAL first.

Good to hear you're comin home...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top