Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2008 5:27:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#1]
If the shooter is "active", then situation dictates that the most immediate response be pro-active...even if it is one man with a snub nosed .38 and a cell phone.  

You can do everything right and by the book and still end up dead.  Big boy rules and all.  Either you're "in it" or you ain't...."kind of" makes bodies out of people.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a LEO, but my answer to an active shooter is you stop them.  If it's one guy w/ backup 30s or a minute away, waiting for backup might be valid.  If backup is 5 or 10 minutes away, then going in alone may be necessary.  It may suck to be the first guy on the scene in that case, but he has a chance to make huge difference.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If the shooter is "active", then situation dictates that the most immediate response be pro-active...even if it is one man with a snub nosed .38 and a cell phone.  

You can do everything right and by the book and still end up dead.  Big boy rules and all.  Either you're "in it" or you ain't...."kind of" makes bodies out of people.

Well put.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This.

How do you think the folks inside, waiting to become "shootees", would vote?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Yell "Sparta!" (or silently in your head to stay tactical) and attack.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Agreed.

Every bullet that leaves the magazine, enters the chamber, and leaves the barrel is a life. Bullets in the magazine mean lives.  The goal is to keep them in the magazine.  For every shot you allow, someones son or someone's daughter, someone's mother or someone's father, is extinguished.

You have to think of it in terms of Schrodinger's cat.  Let us set up a scenario whereby we are all attending church.  Inside our church are 10,000 people, including ourselves.  A lone gunman walks in.  He has one gun. Inside the gun is one bullet.  There are no other bullets for his gun.  At that moment - before he has taken his shot - how many people inside the church are alive?  It is very easy to answer 10,001.  But...how many dead people are inside the church?  The answer is also 10,001.  The gunman's bullet is a life.  It means the life of *someone* there, but until it leaves the barrel to make its mark, it's *potential* state is unknown.  Each individual inside the church is potentially dead - including you.

Being dead, these things become very plain in practice.

Attack directly with overwhelming violence.  Never get caught short for lack of shooting back.  If you do not carry the tools nececary to play the game, then you forfeit by default.  See sigline.

Shane
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#8]
The answer is so easy I don't know why you'd ask.........
Depends.

Seriously though, it does depend.  Preschool or gradeschool?.....GO NOW!  Single assailant?....GO NOW!

High school, office building, multiple assailants, heavly armed?...wait for at least one backup or two, go with max load out and prepared to corner them and hold them down until they decide to kill themselves or SWAT comes.

Ultimatley the decision must be made in nanoseconds and you can't second guess someone.  People who do have never "been there done that".  I've been in enough gun fights/fights for my life or others to know that nothing ever happens perfect.  Too many times I've said "Shit!, why'd I do that" or "Man, that was dumb I could have done it better!"  But the truth is that when the stress is that high and the "bullets are flying" nothing ever goes perfectly.  

I'm sure trauma victims don't get "perfect" care from field medics...but the fact that they get any care is better than no care.  

So a single officer/responder going it alone may cause some issues, but it also may solve the problem.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top