Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 11:05:26 AM EDT
anyone have a manual for these things?

The Shimano LX E-type front derailleur on my Prophet is not quite adjusted properly.

On the top/large chainring I need a wee bit more extention on the guide (pushed out further)

I've got SRAM trigger shifters and don't want to mess up any indexing (read as I don't want to fvk it up).

The dealer is on the other side of town and not an option today. (besides, I just bought this thing friday.. if they couldn't get it right,  it's the last place I want to bring it right now.)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#1]
There's two screws, one marked "H" and one marked "L"  You need to adjust one of those.  Can't remember which it is off the top of my head
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, the woe of mountain bike derailleurs!!  The LX rear derailleur on my Specialized is brand new, new cassette, new chain, new cables, etc.  And the $#%ing thing won't shift, except when I don't want it to. 4 rides later it's back to the LBS, again.  Adjusting them is 70% voodoo, 20% luck, and 10% science.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#3]
my SRAM rear derailleur is dead on and works great.

I know about the H & L adjustments.  won't go any higher.  I'm suspecting I've got to redo the cable but I don't want to make a big mess out of a minor thing.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll take a look.. thanks John.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
The height of the bottom of the deraileur cage should be 2-3 mm over the top of the large chainring, this   is positioned upon installation, by a block that is wedged into the mechanism, forcing the cage to the high gear position. a sticker that is on the outside of the cage, lines up with chainring teeth , acting as a guide to set the height, you pull out the block, and peel off the sticker when all set up.

This should be a no brainer with an E type though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Tighten the cable a quarter turn after adjusting the set screws....make sure the front D. hasn't been knocked to an angle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The height of the bottom of the deraileur cage should be 2-3 mm over the top of the large chainring, this   is positioned upon installation, by a block that is wedged into the mechanism, forcing the cage to the high gear position. a sticker that is on the outside of the cage, lines up with chainring teeth , acting as a guide to set the height, you pull out the block, and peel off the sticker when all set up.

This should be a no brainer with an E type though.

This ended up being the problem

Took..Rode down to the shop today and they fixed her up.  rides great now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top