Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:45:56 AM EDT
How many people listen to the opposition's response?  
I doubt that many arfcommers are going to listen to the Democratic response, for sure, I won't be listening.  But does anyone know what the ratings typically are?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I love how they've gone to "presponses" now.  They make a speech before the speech then another after.  

I guess that's new, seems to be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure it will be along these lines....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#3]
[Alec Baldwin Voice]Corporations......oil......Iraq......abortion......welfare.....corporations......oil.......Iraq.........abortion........welfare......blah.....blah......blah......[Alec Baldwin Voice]

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
[Alec Baldwin Voice]Corporations......oil......Iraq......abortion......welfare.....corporations......oil.......Iraq.........abortion........welfare......blah.....blah......blah.......[Alec Baldwin Voice]

www.asianmediawatch.net/teamamerica/images/ta_fag_me.jpg

You really should listen to Alec Baldwin.  He is president of the Film Actor's Guild.

ETA:  That might have been funnier if your picture had loaded before I quoted it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
From the Democrats I predict sandy manginas and sore ovaries.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#6]
BlaBlaBla… Privacy rights  BlaBlaBla… Corporations BlaBlaBla… Starving children BlaBlabla… War in Iraq BlaBlaBla… Halliburton BlaBlaBla… Extreme judges BlaBlaBla…

What we won’t hear is any actual ideas just a bunch of lies BS and Leftist propaganda.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Did the Republican's have a formal televised "Response" when Clinton was in office?  I didn't really pay much attention to the State of the Union back then.  

It seems petty to me to issue a "Response" to a speech.  I know the Democrats always look like idiots bashing ideas that the President even mention or bashing the Republican's for something and then giving their idea when in fact the President said something similar to their idea in the speech.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#8]
WHat is funny is that the speaker for the Dems was Tim Kaine, who was widley touted by the Dems for winning the govenorship of a red state (Virginia's last governor was a dem also...), and then gets lambested by Pelosi, and other high ranking Dems for being 'soft spoken', 'anti gay marriage', and 'pro life'!!!

The Dems love to eat their own...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Did the Republican's have a formal televised "Response" when Clinton was in office?  I didn't really pay much attention to the State of the Union back then.  

The one I remember the most was J.C. Watts. Damn the dims got Pwn3d.

Excerpt...

......My parents also taught me I could do anything if I applied myself and understood sacrifice and commitment.

Now if you agree with those things my parents taught me, and that I'm trying to teach my children, then friends, we have common ground. It is the Republican Party that has been trying to return these values to government, and it hasn't been easy because for a long time, the government has acted as if it didn't have any common sense.

Here's an example. For the past 30 years, our nation spent $5 trillion trying to erase poverty. And the result -- as you know -- is that we didn't get rid of it at all. In fact, we spread it. We destroyed the self-esteem of millions of people, grinding them down in a welfare system that penalizes moms for wanting to marry the father of their children and penalizes moms for wanting to save money. Friends, that's not right.

Last year, the Republican Congress moved to reform the welfare system, and for the first time in my lifetime, we are helping people climb the ladder of economic opportunity. .......

.....President Clinton was right on target tonight. He said the people want bipartisanship. I believe they do. But they want the kind of bipartisanship that results in progress. They don't want phony compromise. They don't want the kind of weak, back-scratching, go-along-to-get-along bipartisanship that allows lawmakers to feel good, but gets bad results.

There are some striking examples of cooperation this past year.

When Republicans led the effort to reform welfare, President Clinton opposed it at first. But eventually, after we passed it, he bowed to the will of the people and signed it. We applaud the president's embrace of reform and Mr. President, from the bottom of my heart, we are pleased to continue this bipartisan effort.

And there was the promise of bipartisanship tonight when the president signaled his interest in tax relief. Working Americans need real tax relief, not just targeted tax cuts to help one group at the expense of another. We all pay too much in taxes.

I hope the president shares this belief with us and works with us to bring desperately needed tax relief to America's working families. And we must work together -- Democrats and Republicans -- to win the twin wars against drugs and ignorance.

The war on drugs can and will be won, in large measure, by making sure that every child in America can walk to school safely, sit in a classroom where the teacher can really help them learn.

Third and finally, I want to say a few words about the Republican vision of how we can continue to make this "One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

You know, I'm just old enough to remember the Jim Crow brand of discrimination. I've seen issues of race hurt human beings and hurt our entire nation. Too often when we talk about racial healing, we make the old assumption that government can heal the racial divide.

In my lifetime, there have been some great and good laws that took some evil and ignorant laws off the books. So legislation has its place. But we're at a point now where we have to ask ourselves some questions. And are asking.

If legislation is the answer to the racial divide in our nation, then why in Gods' name in our time has the division grown? Why is the healing we long for so far from reality? Why does it seem that the more laws we pass, the less love we have?

The fact is, our problems can't be solved by legislation alone. Surely we have learned from our long difficult journey a great truth -- Government can't ease all pain. We must deal with the heart of man.

Republicans and Democrats -- red, yellow, black and white -- have to understand that we must individually -- al of us accept our share of responsibility.

We must decide, as we stand on the edge of a new age, if we will be a captive of the past.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Hay guys, your being a little harsh on the Democrats, aren't you. By the way what did they have to say???? Yes I know Bush hasn't made his speach yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hay guys, your being a little harsh on the Democrats, aren't you.

You're kidding right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top