Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/2/2011 7:52:19 AM EDT
I remember the days when the technical side of this site was a wealth of knowledge. I went from owning a bolt action hunting rifle to multiple ARs and AKs after joining. Now it seems every other thread is "BCM vs Colt", "Is my PSA tier 1?", or "Would DEVGRU use RRA?". While I'm happy to see so many new people get involved in the shooting community, it really makes this site a joke.

While it's impossible to stop people from asking these questions, I think I have an idea to help with this. A specific subforum, either in GD or each technical forum, for brand comparisons. That way fanboys can argue without cluttering up actual questions/discussions. Thoughts?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#1]
So which is better, 9mm or .45 ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#2]
AR-15's aren't particularly complicated. I'm sorry, but there just isn't that much technical info to discuss, that hasn't already been said (and is nicely archived).
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
What technical discussion is left to he had?  At this point everything is generally so well ironed out that it's just pick and choose.

The only thread I can think of with a problem and a technical solution was involving an M16 and a 10.5" upper that wasn't running; that's far beyond most people's budget will allow.

For me, I'm getting my technical discussion stuff over at weaponsguild.com.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Would Tier 1 operators bitch about this thread?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Get an FAL. We're better than everybody else.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

1911 or Glock?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Glock.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Get an FAL. We're better than everybody else.

I am thinking of diversifying my rifle selection. Off to the FAL forum

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get an AK. We're better than everybody else.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Ahhh, the good old days.  Sounds like a great idea, but this is kind of the nature if the beast when popularity skyrockets.  A brand comparison only section on each forum sounds like the dimly lit parking lot of a good bar, which I am totally in favor of.  The only thing that gets under my skin is the "Would this untit use this.." topic.  This is not, I repeat NOT, the place for that.  Too little veracity and too much manure.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now it seems every other thread is "BCM vs Colt", "Is my PSA tier 1?", or "Would DEVGRU use RRA?". While I'm happy to see so many new people get involved in the shooting community, it really makes this site a joke. [div]

It seems many on the tech forums are more concerned in the latest toy or piece of tacticool junk to hang off their AR or who's the flavor of the week, striving to make their AR the latest greatest cutting edge of kewl... I always wonder how many actually own ammo for their adult tinker toys...

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember the days when the technical side of this site was a wealth of knowledge. I went from owning a bolt action hunting rifle to multiple ARs and AKs after joining. Now it seems every other thread is "BCM vs Colt", "Is my PSA tier 1?", or "Would DEVGRU use RRA?". While I'm happy to see so many new people get involved in the shooting community, it really makes this site a joke.

While it's impossible to stop people from asking these questions, I think I have an idea to help with this. A specific subforum, either in GD or each technical forum, for brand comparisons. That way fanboys can argue without cluttering up actual questions/discussions. Thoughts?

Hey now... some of us work very hard in the tech forums.

They still have some great info, which is why it sucks that people have to wade through so much trash to get to it. Just trying to suggest a way to cut down on that hassle.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Like many things in a man's life his firearm is an extension of his ....

Wait wrong answer.

Most people here aren't tier one and they're not in the military. They're more likely to have spent time on Battlefield 3's beta than in bootcamp. They spend more time designing their rifle than actually shooting it. They've spent more on gear than training classes. They can't shoot well because they don't have a set of $1200 rings on their $800 rail kit. They never pick their rifle up off the shooting bench except to put it into it's case. A sling is a fashion accessory to be displayed, not used. Whatever is the most popular piece of metal they'll pay too much for an hang it off their "platform". They spend more time figuring out which sight is better than the next instead of learning how to use it to do range finding and bullet drop compensation.

The signal to noise ratio is tough.

Paul doesn't say much, but when he does, it's usually pretty good. This post is no exception. WTF am I talking about, Paul says LOTS! heh he's spot on though!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of us *guilty look* are just info LEACHES! I quietly read 'em and them build 'em.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait wrong answer.

Most people here aren't tier one and they're not in the military. They're more likely to have spent time on Battlefield 3's beta than in bootcamp. They spend more time designing their rifle than actually shooting it. They've spent more on gear than training classes. They can't shoot well because they don't have a set of $1200 rings on their $800 rail kit. They never pick their rifle up off the shooting bench except to put it into it's case. A sling is a fashion accessory to be displayed, not used. Whatever is the most popular piece of metal they'll pay too much for an hang it off their "platform". They spend more time figuring out which sight is better than the next instead of learning how to use it to do range finding and bullet drop compensation.

None of the people I know personally play video games, have lots of fancy nylon gear (except me) and of the most guys I know have been to at least 10 classes over the years with various trainers and there are regular pistol, carbine, shotgun and precision rifle shoots around here. There are plenty of guys in the military and vets at the classes I have been to. I don't know where some of you guys get this stuff except maybe the guys in your area are a bunch of video game playing weirdos or something  

sir sir.. calm down sir..
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait wrong answer.

None of the people I know personally play video games, have lots of fancy nylon gear (except me) and of the most guys I know have been to at least 10 classes over the years with various trainers and there are regular pistol, carbine, shotgun and precision rifle shoots around here. There are plenty of guys in the military and vets at the classes I have been to. I don't know where some of you guys get this stuff except maybe the guys in your area are a bunch of video game playing weirdos or something  

This stuff drives me batty sometimes  There's never any useful criticism in these threads just "I am a billybadass, you guys are pussies anyway" or "Lights and aimpoints are tacticool crap, lights give you away" Bah

Isn't it time for a staff class get together shoot?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait wrong answer.

This stuff drives me batty sometimes  There's never any useful criticism in these threads just "I am a billybadass, you guys are pussies anyway" or "Lights and aimpoints are tacticool crap, lights give you away" Bah

So I take it you don't like the idea of separate subforum for this stuff? What about expanding on the ammo forum's concept of tacked review threads? Seems like a pretty easy, and effective, way to cut down on dupes.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait wrong answer.

the Italian grip is much more user friendly then the shitty French grip. like that? And aimless remember your one of them rich lawyer fellers! so the company you keep is different then billy bad ass, BF3 player. a lot of this crap would stop if we could deliver ass whooping's via TCP/IP.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I become worried that we're getting a little TOO split up into forums. I've talked about starting dedicated threads for various brands to avoid 20 threads on PSA or Spikes or whatever the new brand of the week is. I'm still waffling (and this has been a long waffling, I admit) on the wisdom of that.  

FIFY..  it was a blue one right?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait wrong answer.

I think Paul's point is that the majority of people HERE fit his description. I too, know folks that talk the talk and walk the walk and don't play video games. They usually don't claim that someone is an idiot if they don't prescribe to their way of thinking/gear though.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

the Italian grip is much more user friendly then the shitty French grip. like that? And aimless remember your one of them rich lawyer fellers! so the company you keep is different then billy bad ass, BF3 player. a lot of this crap would stop if we could deliver ass whooping's via TCP/IP.

I don't go shooting with the lawyers and doctors I know from work or political functions, I mostly shoot with guys I met off the site, and they vary all over the economic and education spectrum. The local guys I know probably do tend to be a little bit older, I guess that might matter.  

Anyway I'm glad to hear constructive criticism

im really feeling the site has way to many splinters.. and people are all over the place.. if anything combine some locations rather than add new.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

AR-15's aren't particularly complicated. I'm sorry, but there just isn't that much technical info to discuss, that hasn't already been said (and is nicely archived).

I came here to learn about assembling my own AR, which the tech forums were very helpful. However I agree there is a limited amount of discussion about ARs. If it hadn't been for the craziness of General Discussion, I would have most likely left the site after building my first AR.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait wrong answer.

STAFF FIGHT!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't go shooting with the lawyers and doctors I know from work or political functions, I mostly shoot with guys I met off the site, and they vary all over the economic and education spectrum. The local guys I know probably do tend to be a little bit older, I guess that might matter.  

Anyway I'm glad to hear constructive criticism

im really feeling the site has way to many splinters.. and people are all over the place.. if anything combine some locations rather than add new.

I think in someways this would be a good thing also..
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of us *guilty look* are just info LEACHES! I quietly read 'em and them build 'em.

This. Just about everything is buried in there somewhere. I only had one problem that wasn't really covered, but I posted it up on the manufacturers website - the symptoms were kind of unusual for a gas block leak, but that's what it turned out to be. Manufacturer replaced the gas block (and maybe piston return spring) - works fine since then.

I search the tech forums, then the web - in every case except the above, I was able to find an answer. I would assume that everyone else does this , so I don't tend to cruise the tech forums that much anymore - as they say, assumption is the mother of all fuck ups, so maybe I should drop in to provide links to answers

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Double
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wait wrong answer.

And the problem is?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#38]
You forgot Spike's. BCM vs Spike's. Ad nauseum.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

this

there can only be so many discussions re: staking a carrier key or on the merits of scraping carbon off of the bolt tail
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

X vs Y    threads are  like a cancer for the tech forums

they have all been done, and can be found in archive, or just a few pages past. to me, anyone who starts one is damn near trolling.   they know how it will turn out, and likely have made up their mind already and just want some guys to  justify it    people like certain brands. but some get really butthurt when other dont like their pick

the only thing close to being as big a waste of time is the KISS vs Tacticool    arguments.   which have a least marginal use in   producing solid arguments on why the KISS concept is retarded time to time
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Its sad that idiots are allowed to spout wrong information over and over nowadays.  "My buddy in the army said rounds tumble", "my buddy in the army said its dangerous to leave mags loaded.  Not only will they wear out, they might explode!", "My rifle is over/under gassed because it doesn't eject how I want it to.  It works just fine with over 100 brands of ammo, but if the brass isn't in a neat little pile within 3 feet of me and to my direct right, it must be broken.", "the 5.56 is crap and has no use.  Now if you had a 6.8/6.5/.458/300BLK then your penis would be 6" larger and the US would ask you to be the new Caesar Augustus.", "Oh they make a piston now?  Better fix my AR."

The myths and bullshit that is allowed to continue is downright retarded.  Many of these things aren't a matter of opinion, just a matter of being fucking wrong.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I believe this is the case.  The firearm is essentially unchanged for decades; the only technical discussion that exists anymore is the comparison of two "new" products from different brands, seeing which performs better than the other under certain circumstances––as well as the perceived value or reliability of said products by people who use them "in the field," like DEVGRU.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Look at ANY hobby related forum, and that is exactly what you find.

I don't care what the subject is...

RC Truck forums, Headphone (or any type of audio gear) forums, computer hardware forums, it's all the same shit.

Fanboys, Fads of the moment, and stupid threads about X vs. Y and what should I buy.
I go to these types of forums to learn what I need to know, accomplish my goals, and move on.

GD is rare in that the range of discussion and speed of content really keeps things fresh and interesting.

So I stay here.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paul doesn't say much, but when he does,

He has like 45k posts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait wrong answer.

Isn't it time for a staff class get together shoot?

each other apparently

I keed I keed please don't ban me sirs
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#46]
I used to post in the tech forums all the time, but it started to turn into a cluster fuck and I just stopped posting there. I'll wonder in sometime and see if some asks a question I know about, but for the most part there is too much stupid going on there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

You're an asshole for bringing that up.  Everyone knows those are both pussy rounds.   I can't believe you have faith in either of those rounds, if you look at the evolution of cartridge technology you'll know that the dogma of your faith is wrong.  God only knows why you believe in this fantasy of pink unicorns and tooth fairies.   Speaking of faith, evolution, dogma and god...who in their right mind believes, as you obviously do...,in progressive ideals.   If you insist on insulting me by throwing that kind of question out there for all to read, I will have to report you.   By the way I am very offended by your insinuation that you were a C-130 Specter pilot.  Posers will be banned, I promise you.   It looks like you've hit the jackpot on your insulting question.   You sir have insulted my faith, and religion.  Your politics brand you a communist, AND you're a poser.   The ban hammer is heavy and is coming down on you!!!!

...what was the question again?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're an asshole for bringing that up.  Everyone knows those are both pussy rounds.   I can't believe you have faith in either of those rounds, if you look at the evolution of cartridge technology you'll know that the dogma of your faith is wrong.  God only knows why you believe in this fantasy of pink unicorns and tooth fairies.   Speaking of faith, evolution, dogma and god...who in their right mind believes, as you obviously do...,in progressive ideals.   If you insist on insulting me by throwing that kind of question out there for all to read, I will have to report you.   By the way I am very offended by your insinuation that you were a C-130 Specter pilot.  Posers will be banned, I promise you.   It looks like you've hit the jackpot on your insulting question.   You sir have insulted my faith, and religion.  Your politics brand you a communist, AND you're a poser.   The ban hammer is heavy and is coming down on you!!!!

...what was the question again?

Whatever it was, the answer is 10mm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1. Learn all that is learnable and return that information to the Creator.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Part of the problem is that technical discussions which mention a particular brand product frequently get moved from a tech forum to that brand's industry forum, thereby preventing frank discussion of the merits or characteristics of that product or comparisons to other similar products.

Discussions that mention a particular brand product where the manufacturer doesn't happen to be a site advertiser sometimes disappear.

Troubleshooting or discussion of problems frequently turns to "contact the manufacturer".

On occasion when there is a good productive technical info thread, it eventually ends up in the archive where it's not visible to the newcomers and not very findable in any event.

Then new questions pop up and get locked as dupes.

As a site suggestion, maybe in lieu of two pages of pinned threads there should be an additional forum as "technical reference" where particularly useful or informative threads can be moved to and remain active without being archived.  I could come up with a dozen topics pretty quickly that would be useful to have addressed in such a forum.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top