Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 7:04:36 PM EDT
Need a quick answer here...what is the delta ring made of?

I refinished my barrel (still on the upper) tonight and it's currently in the oven at 300 deg. for one hour. The d-ring is smoking a lot...I assumed it was metal but now I'm worried it's plastic.

ETA: okay, not really "a lot" but enough that I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
aluminum so far as i know.....................maybe its the different finish on it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe it's just barrel grease cooking out or something?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
that'd do it alright........................
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen a few cheapy Delta rings made out of plastic
It's probably the grease for the barrel threads when the barrel was installed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I assembled a sweet AR sometime back, everything was a special matte black...........except a purple friggen delta ring.  Guess where that ring came from.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
There were some cheap junk kits that had plastic delta rings, plastic trigger guards, plastic buffers.

But the delta ring assembly holds a lot of oil and grease.  You did degrease well before painting?

The delta ring should be aluminum.  If it is all warped and melted when you get it out of the oven, consider it a blessing.  Now toss that piece of junk and buy a real delta ring.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
It's done, and everything's fine. Sorry for the false alarm. I did degrease but I was only painting from the FSB forward so that's all I degreased.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top