Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/2/2005 1:11:16 PM EDT
Wow it can't be long before another airline will be in bankruptcy. I think it's necessary to be competitive with the other airlines that are already in bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:26:27 PM EDT
They should have gone CH 11 along time ago. Don't know if Delta has assets to get financing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:34:40 PM EDT
After living in this major hub town for over 9 year and being raped by them for most of the time............AMF
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:34:51 PM EDT
Too bad..................and if memory serves me correctly, they are an all Boeing airline, no Airbuses.

Am I correct on this?

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:37:17 PM EDT
MadDogs and Boeing.
They lost the CRJ's a couple weeks ago whe they sold ASA. Those planes broke to much.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:40:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ALLANJ:
MadDogs and Boeing.
They lost the CRJ's a couple weeks ago whe they sold ASA. Those planes broke to much.

Mmm... you sure bout that? As far as I know, they still are flying the CRJ's over here (Skywest Airlines).

This doesn't sound too good. I have tickets to San Jose in October on Delta/Skywest.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:44:05 PM EDT
Buy! Buy! Buy!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:52:21 PM EDT
sell now and have someting....

I lost about $100,000.00 in ual stock (ESOP)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:59:29 PM EDT

So, if you hold stock in a company, and it goes under, and re-emerges after bankruptcy reorganization, do you still own stock in the reorganized company?

Jim
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:59:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Label:

Originally Posted By ALLANJ:
MadDogs and Boeing.

Mmm... you sure bout that? As far as I know, they still are flying the CRJ's over here (Skywest Airlines).

This doesn't sound too good. I have tickets to San Jose in October on Delta/Skywest.

Delta doesn't own Skywest and skywest just bought ASA from Delta.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:00:26 PM EDT
so would this be a good time or a bad time to buy?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:13:37 PM EDT
Delat still owns Comair,tons of RJs there,I know, I used to work for Comair.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:17:13 PM EDT
They will probably sell Comair soon.
I forgot about Comair.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:17:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KS_Physicist:
So, if you hold stock in a company, and it goes under, and re-emerges after bankruptcy reorganization, do you still own stock in the reorganized company?

Jim

It will be worth a shadow of what it was prior to the bankruptcy. I used to work for MCI communications, and fortunately I own a few thousand shares. After bankruptcy, it ended up being about 10 shares.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:19:59 PM EDT
Why Delat sold their fuel hedges is beyond me,know one seems to know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:20:55 PM EDT

Jim

You may or may not have anything after a reorganization. Past experiences with UAL and Continental would be my guide. Caviat emptor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:02:58 PM EDT
This whole crisis may be the final nail in the coffin for Delta. Damn shame,a company founded in Louisiana(Huff-Daland crop dusters) done in by a huricane. Yeah,its that bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:05:00 PM EDT
Southwest Airlines, a Texas airline will pick up the slack. Texas will take over the world, one industry at a time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:07:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KlubMarcus:
Texas will take over the world, one industry at a time.

Like Enron?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:28:22 PM EDT
I am somewhat simple minded when it comes to such large industries, but why in the hell don't the airlines simply raise their prices to the point that they will be profitable? If most every airline is on the brink of collapse, looks like they would all simply price their services accordingly. Some will survive, some won't. Why should anyone expect to be able to fly from Atlanta to LA for $200? If people can't afford $1000 for the convenience of being transported across the US in a matter of hours, they don't need to be flying in the first place. Just my opinion, but if people can't afford $5000 to fly to the other side of the globe, then they need to stay home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:29:09 PM EDT
BUY BUY BUY!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:36:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cope:
I am somewhat simple minded when it comes to such large industries, but why in the hell don't the airlines simply raise their prices to the point that they will be profitable? If most every airline is on the brink of collapse, looks like they would all simply price their services accordingly. Some will survive, some won't. Why should anyone expect to be able to fly from Atlanta to LA for $200? If people can't afford $1000 for the convenience of being transported across the US in a matter of hours, they don't need to be flying in the first place. Just my opinion, but if people can't afford $5000 to fly to the other side of the globe, then they need to stay home.

Because the problem is mismanagement. Some well run airlines (Southwest, Frontier) make money, and they charge LESS than the majors. If some companies can make money on lower fares than the companies that charge more, then clearly the airlines that charge more are being poorly run.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:40:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KlubMarcus:
Southwest Airlines, a Texas airline will pick up the slack. Texas will take over the world, one industry at a time.

And Tejas is being taken over one illegal at a time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:58:01 PM EDT
AMR = $11.95 at closing today

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:55:15 AM EDT
One of the reason's Delta is not making money is because they invested alot on Regional Jets(RJs),they only make money on high fares,not on SWA type low fares.Also,AA and UAL cater more to the high fare businessman type fares,while Delta is more leasure type,putting them more in competition with AirTran,JetBlue,and SWA,which all don't have high cost like Delta.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:22:13 AM EDT
So I assume I should cash in my frequent flyer miles for tickets? Will the tickets be any good after they file for bankruptcy? (If someone buys them out, that is--otherwise I assume they're junk paper...)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:50:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By glenn_r:
So I assume I should cash in my frequent flyer miles for tickets? Will the tickets be any good after they file for bankruptcy? (If someone buys them out, that is--otherwise I assume they're junk paper...)

Your FFs will still be good unless Delta goes CH7,which is a remote possibility.(Boeing and GE will probably offer financing).Delta is really stepping up to the plate in NOLA,offering relief flights out and relief freight in.DELTA SPIRIT IN ACTION!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:10:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SWS:
Like Enron?

Who? The Enron guys were just minor players and got beat back down into the dirt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:15:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:

Jim

It will be worth a shadow of what it was prior to the bankruptcy. I used to work for MCI communications, and fortunately I own a few thousand shares. After bankruptcy, it ended up being about 10 shares.

Originally Posted By GaBulldawg:
You may or may not have anything after a reorganization. Past experiences with UAL and Continental would be my guide. Caviat emptor.

An example would be my friend's stock in company X (wish I could remember the name). She still owned the stock, however in order to get new financing, they had to create a new class of stock for the financier that had more rights (all the important ones), essentially hers was still worthless when they came out of BR. It makes sense, even though she wasn't happy.
Top Top