Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2011 4:01:04 PM EDT
I just learned about this lil gem when trying to get rid of the fake, Trojan-XPSecurity2012" scam virus.

Apparently if you delete the contents, your computer will be faster, I did such and it seems to be faster. I know that it is sort of a "pre assembly" to files and they say it could slow things down trying to rebuild the ones you use, if you delete them.

So far so good. Anyone have experiences with this folder, is it just snake oil? harmless to delete? Worth deleting?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Harmless to delete.

"Prefetch" is basically a cache folder where the computer looks to start stuff fast. Executables, DLLs, but stuff that is not running as a service.

If it's cleared out, it will get re-created over time.

Stuff that was in there, will start slightly slower.

It IS a source of re-infection and false positives, but generally stuff in there is non-executable and you don't need to think about it or tinker with it.

If you had a virus, clearing it out may help a little. If not, leave it alone. Note. If you had a virus. WIPE AND REINSTALL. It's much faster than pulling crap otu by the roots. You never can tell if you got it all. Some backdoors are very passive and will let stuff in later.

Prefetch usefullness is much less than it was now that hard drives are as fast as they are. It's more of a "wow I got 20 gigs on my hard drive!" days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top