Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/29/2004 7:35:14 AM EST
California

Pistol course trains Marines ‘hot’ for Iraq

Marines headed for Iraq and expecting to face off against insurgents with the M9 pistol have been getting very specific training in the 9mm pistol’s use from Defense Training International, a company founded by John S. Farnam, a retired Marine major and Vietnam veteran.

Farnam, whose Web site says he is considered the top handgun instructor in the country, teaches the course himself.

“We run our ranges hot. Marines will have loaded weapons overseas; they should train the same way,” said Farnam, who recently provided instruction to I Marine Expeditionary Force troops at Camp Pendleton, Calif. “Marines are my most enthusiastic students. They come out with no complaints or whining, just anxious to train.”

Unlike the typical pistol and rifle ranges Marines visit, Farnam’s ranges are set up to equip leathernecks with skills needed in Iraq. Students never hear commands such as “load” or “make ready” in Farnam’s courses. His courses provide steel-rotator targets and the opportunity to exit a vehicle, as if on patrol, with a fully loaded weapon before moving forward on foot, using different points of cover and concealment.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-MARINEPAPER-371669.php
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:38:51 AM EST
Excellent illustration of how fucked up the regular military (and I include the Marine Corps) is in terms of weapons training.

Wow! They get to exit a vehicle WITH A LOADED WEAPON!! how high-speed!
Top Top