Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/1/2014 11:10:13 AM EDT
Cody Wilson and Defense Distributed are at it again  
This time it's an Open Source CNC mill for finishing 80% Receivers called the Ghost Gunner.

oh, and Fuck DeLeon and Fuck California

....and That other guy too  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't wait for the day when full strength metal 3d printers are cheap enough for home use. The technology exists, it's now just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't wait for the day when full strength metal 3d printers are cheap enough for home use. The technology exists, it's now just a matter of time.
View Quote

When that happens, you'll need an FFL to make your own firearms.  I'm not saying it's right, but that's what will happen.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude doesn't realize, you can not stop an idea.   Freedom, it is a very powerful idea.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Governments way more oppressive than ours couldn't stop information from spreading when monks had to write books by hand.

The thought that a government could do it in this day in age is beyond laughable.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh my God........Do want...........Game changer....
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting concept. The 80% market seems to be doing well.

I wish them well.

I just hope they dont get fucked over by the 'guns are icky' crowd.

Video is well worth watching, but now I am on another 'list'.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh my God........Do want...........Game changer....
View Quote

Not sure how it's a game changer...you can do one yourself with a drill press and a jig for very likely a hell of a lot less than that cnc will run. Unless it's cutting them out of billet, I don't see the novelty.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When that happens, you'll need an FFL to make your own firearms.  I'm not saying it's right, but that's what will happen.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why some are against companies making products and tools so publicly available... the more public attention it gets the more it will get anti gun zealots attention.

Just like drones, they existed for decades... but once you start putting them in RTF kits and sell them just about everywhere and any person can buy and fly one... it started attracting laws and attention from everyone else like flies on shit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Out-fucking-standing. Eat it, Feinstein.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
It's gonna get interesting when somebody buys one of these and

realizes renting it out to his buddies, etc. is a good way to recoup

that $1,500.  Political pressure is going to be on ATF to label it

as whatever it takes to make it illegal.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC, that's already been done, and the guy doing it was shut down by BATFE for manufacturing without an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
IIRC, that's already been done, and the guy doing it was shut down by BATFE for manufacturing without an FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Group buy!

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a small, portable mill.  The owner can easily loan it to a friend , who takes it home and mill out his lower.

Then it gets passed on to another guy , and so on. So there is no central location for finishing lowers.

Any home, any place can be a little machine shop.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#15]
2014 - Defense Distrbuted - The Ghost Gunner - Pending DoD approval for public release
View Quote

What's up with that?  Didn't he run afoul of ITAR by making the design files for the plastic gun available on the internet?  Looks like this machine is only shipping to the US and uses a proprietary open file format.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but that was a stationary CNC machine and it stayed at the "manufacturer's" place and he would let people push the start button IIRC. He was renting time on the machine.
This machine could travel...a much harder sell that the owner is manufacturing without an FFL. The AK forum has a traveling bending jig that turns sheet metal into AK receivers.

The largest likely problem with the plan is that this mill is likely on the light duty side and would need lots of maintenance for anyone that planned to rent it out for money.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]
A guy here in michigan did it for a while. Had the ok from the ATF, got really popular, then the ATF shut them down.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#18]
1,000 bucks. Call a couple buddies and it seems like it would be well worth it. Neat video as well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is why some are against companies making products and tools so publicly available... the more public attention it gets the more it will get anti gun zealots attention.

Just like drones, they existed for decades... but once you start putting them in RTF kits and sell them just about everywhere and any person can buy and fly one... it started attracting laws and attention from everyone else like flies on shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does this post not surprise me.

Yea, let's dictate our lives, our freedoms, our creativity, our ingenuity around the feelings of illogical zealots. Do you even freedom bro, or do you ask for permission first?

Also, see tag line
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#20]
If it could do easily engraving, it would really sell.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#21]
This is no different than me borrowing jigs from a friend.

Renting out time in a shop with the program already in is a bit harder to justify. Although I personally am more than fine with this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
1,000 bucks. Call a couple buddies and it seems like it would be well worth it. Neat video as well.
View Quote

Get 5-10 people together for a "build party" and it could certainly be interesting. At the end of the day you could draw a name out of a hat to see who gets to keep it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes but that was a stationary CNC machine and it stayed at the "manufacturer's" place and he would let people push the start button IIRC. He was renting time on the machine.
This machine could travel...a much harder sell that the owner is manufacturing without an FFL. The AK forum has a traveling bending jig that turns sheet metal into AK receivers.

The largest likely problem with the plan is that this mill is likely on the light duty side and would need lots of maintenance for anyone that planned to rent it out for money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's an awesome idea but I'm curious to see just how many lowers this thing is good for.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Most interesting thing I've seen in weeks.  Curiosity piqued.

ETA - Video made my head hurt, though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Fuck sweinstein , fuck holder ,fuck the ATF and FBHO

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#27]
So if you bring this to a gun show and let people pay to machine their lowers themselves, would all be well in the eyes of the ATF? They would be doing it themselves, so it's not like you could get hit for manufacturing for them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

It already got interesting.

A lot of local machinists hosting build parties got a BATFE visit.

Now tooling is becoming affordable.

http://www.modulusarms.com/modulus-arms-universal-ar-15-80-lower-receiver-jig/

This and the mini mill....

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#29]
holy shit they used gnossienne in the video, I'm sold
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#30]
You can't stop the signal.

I would buy one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What's up with that?  Didn't he run afoul of ITAR this Administration who used ITAR to shut him down by making the design files for the plastic gun available on the internet?  Looks like this machine is only shipping to the US and uses a proprietary open file format.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
2014 - Defense Distrbuted - The Ghost Gunner - Pending DoD approval for public release

What's up with that?  Didn't he run afoul of ITAR this Administration who used ITAR to shut him down by making the design files for the plastic gun available on the internet?  Looks like this machine is only shipping to the US and uses a proprietary open file format.

FIFY.  Cory is good people - and obviously not going to quit.  This should work on a properly inletted piece of wood, too.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Get a PO Box in another state.

Get a pre-paid debit card.

Hire some homeless guy to pick it up....

What could go wrong?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why does this post not surprise me.

Yea, let's dictate our lives, our freedoms, our creativity, our ingenuity around the feelings of illogical zealots. Do you even freedom bro, or do you ask for permission first?

Also, see tag line
View Quote

I would love to recommend you a book to read...

http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Book-Intelligent-Touchstone/dp/0671212095
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I have some limited CNC experience and wonder if the mill could be made capable of machining raw block into a lower? According to the website the machine is capable of deep depths due to the arm design.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wait until they start making them out of blocks of metal, then you will see some heads explode.

And it will be glorious. I love when technology outdates laws.
View Quote

Yup. %80's are too damn expensive for what they are, but if you could feed in some bar stock and end up with a lower that'd be glorious.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Ten people go in on it and jointly own it with equal shares.  Thus no issue of renting, loaning, borrowing or any question of ownership.

"I did it myself on my own machine which I own ".

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

STATIST

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Ten people go in on it and jointly own it with equal shares.  Thus no issue of renting, loaning, borrowing or any question of ownership.

I did it myself on my own machine which I own.  
View Quote

That's actually not a bad idea.

Unless you're planning on breaking the law, and mass produce lowers, for the hobbyist that does a few the $1500 price is a little steep.  Especially when you consider a drill press that can be used for other things is good enough.  

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Want
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#44]
That is pretty cool. Depending on how durable it is I wouldn't mind picking one up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Yup. %80's are too damn expensive for what they are, but if you could feed in some bar stock and end up with a lower that'd be glorious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait until they start making them out of blocks of metal, then you will see some heads explode.

Possible but not likely. It wouldn't be able to thread the hole for the buffer tube, something that is thankfully already done on an 80% lower. And there would be too many (likely manual) tool changes needed vs just milling out the FCG pocket and drilling the pin holes. The bolt catch pin hole, for example, looks like a real PITA to do in a home shop.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Unless you're planning on breaking the law, and mass produce lowers, for the hobbyist that does a few the $1500 price is a little steep.  Especially when you consider a drill press that can be used for other things is good enough.  

What am I missing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did it myself on my own machine which I own.  

What am I missing?

well this mill could also be used for other things

nothing wrong with the group ownership though, I think it's a good idea
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too many tools and processes for a benchtop machine to do.

The beauty of this machine is that, if enough people get them, then some people will play with them and start making and distributing new files.  Rails, adapters, mounts, grips, etc.  Make all kinds of stuff.

Consider that a benchtop mini mill is $500-700 already.  If you add stepper motors, you get a pseudo-CNC 2-axis for about the same cost as this thing.  Presumably, this is a 3-axis machine, and it's in a form package that's much more easily portable.  That's incredible.  If it has the horsepower and durability to handle large projects (or if the parts are cheap enough to replace as they wear), then something like this could very well be the future of the home machine shop.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Also, form a trust and add/remove trustees as needed. ;)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#49]
fuck that little fascist fuck deleon.  fuck him and all his fascist gun grabbing asshole friends.

Freedom over fascism.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Possible but not likely. It wouldn't be able to thread the hole for the buffer tube, something that is thankfully already done on an 80% lower. And there would be too many (likely manual) tool changes needed vs just milling out the FCG pocket and drilling the pin holes. The bolt catch pin hole, for example, looks like a real PITA to do in a home shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bolt catch isn't required to have a functional firearm though.  All aspects of it could be omitted.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top