Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 2:06:54 PM EST
I posted this here because of the high traffic on this board.

I found a .223 in my stash made by UMC lot# L223R3 that had a defective brass. The forming process was incomplete and left a void in the case neck that ran almost completely through the shoulder of the case. It is rounded on each side and about 3/16 inch wide at the top and approx 1/4 inch long. It leaves the knurled part of the projectile exposed and is almost wide enough, deep enough to let powder out.

As if you stood a case up on its base end and filed a "V" in it with a tail on the "V" running almost to the side of the case.

If it seems like I'm giving too much detail, sorry. I just wanted to make a description that even TNFrank could understand.

Should I just throw it away and forget it or let the manufacturer know that they might want to look at their brass on that lot? I shot all but that one before I happened to see it. That was back when I had a loose gas block on my bolt and was diagnosing the problem so could it have been a part of the problem too?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:25:21 PM EST
Is this thing on?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:27:12 PM EST
Just toss it mate
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:27:30 PM EST
Yeah, I'd let them know.

Who knows, you might get a freebie out of it.

And QC will appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:01:05 PM EST
Wouldn’t hurt to let them know a bad one got through.

Still, over the years I’ve seen a fair number of bad rounds come out of factory boxes, it’s not like it never happens!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:09:51 PM EST
I knew a guy that reported some bad rounds on some federal 22 match ammo. they sent him a couple bricks to make up for the inconvienence. might be worth a shot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:14:46 PM EST
What the hell. I'll let them know. It's probably way to late to do a sampling survey but it could keep them from screwing up in the future.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:04:00 PM EST
Incidentally, Remington will probably want the Lot Number off the box the round came in.
Top Top