Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2001 4:45:39 AM EDT
Am I the only one here who regularly sees deer in an urban/suburban area where they can't be hunted?

A few months ago, I saw a pair of deer standing by the side of the road as I drove to work.  This morning, I almost ran over one of them at the same place.  

In two months, I'm going to be freezing in a tree stand out in the boonies while the deer are still dodging cars half a mile from my house.  [:\]

All that fresh venison is going to wind up as roadkill... [>Q]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
3 words for ya: patio, lawnchair, crossbow.
That was 3 words, right?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
No.  They had a problem with in the city limits of my wife's home town in Kingsford, MI.  City officials hired professional sharp shooters (hell my qual. is x-pert) to cull the herd.   I would say have a special lottery license for bow hunters.  The meat was donated though.

I wonder how many tax dollars went for something most people would pay to have the opportunity to do.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No.  They had a problem with in the city limits of my wife's home town in Kingsford, MI.  City officials hired professional sharp shooters (hell my qual. is x-pert) to cull the herd.   I would say have a special lottery license for bow hunters.  The meat was donated though.

I wonder how many tax dollars went for something most people would pay to have the opportunity to do.
View Quote

That story is in the latest edition of Outdoor Life.  The article is The Deer Slayer.  They talked about him working in Princeton, N.J.  with all the protesters and crap.  He uses night vision and a supressed .223 on the deer.  They have to pay him $90,000 to come in and harvest these deer as opposed to extending the deer season and collecting revenue from the licenses.  It is an interesting article.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Now I've heard it all, the govt paying some body to shoot deer, while there people who are willing to pay the govt to shoot deer.  Real effective use of your hard earned tax dollars.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw 3 nice Does on my front lawn at 11:30 PM last night, just as I was leaving to head over the the hill to Stewart Int'l Airport for Guard Duty at the Marine Barracks.

Between 0001 and 0700, across the street from post 1 at the barracks, I saw about 10 Does, 1 Buck, 2 coyotes and 2 skunks. At their closest, the deer (and the skunks too!) were 30 feet away!

What a dilemma; I had three M-16s and 3 M9s available, and a NY State Patrol barracks a 1/2 mile down the road on a civilian airport.

Needless to say, but we didn't take the shot!

Those critters know that they're bullet proof!

Dave

Edited just to say "WooHoo, I reached "Member" status with this post!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That story is in the latest edition of Outdoor Life.  The article is The Deer Slayer.  They talked about him working in Princeton, N.J.  with all the protesters and crap.  He uses night vision and a supressed .223 on the deer.  They have to pay him $90,000 to come in and harvest these deer as opposed to extending the deer season and collecting revenue from the licenses.  It is an interesting article.  
View Quote

I used to live there and now live in the next town.  It was a very interesting event.  The townsfolk (EXTREMELY stuck up, anal, sheltered, old-money, PETA types) scream and yell about the overpopulation of deer and ruining their cars/property/blah/blah.  BUT, they absolutely refused to allow hunting within the township.  I remember when all this went down.  It was unbelievable the shit that came out of these people's mouths.  Of course, you should have seen the looks on their faces when it was suggested that, since they won't allow heard management, they stop infringing on natural habitat with their new multi-million dollar homes in the woods.  I think they estimated that the township was at almost 3 times its carrying capacity the winter they first brought this guy in.  I wonder how they would have liked all the dead and starving deer on their porches...
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a bow! Just hang the deer after you field dress him. Then go back after dark with your buddy and get him out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
One good thing about living in the sticks is I hunt less than 300 yds from my house.

[:E]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I see deer all the time in suburban areas.  They are usually in parks where I mountain bike.  Hell, I damn near hit the things on a weekly basis when I come flying around a corner and find them standing in the middle of the trail.

Thats cool though, I enjoy it even if it has resulted in more that a couple cuts and bruises (from crashing while trying to avoid the deer).
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Here in my neghborhood we see deer all the time.  I even baited them once but turkeys ended up eating it all (corn).  Found a nice rubline about 75 yds from my house.  Funny thing is, this patch of woods is only about 12 acres and it's surrounded by neighborhoods.  Back before they started building shopping centers and appartment complexes all over the town (about 3 yrs ago) we would see them regularly all up and down the 4-lane road by where we live.  My dad leaves around 5:30AM to go to work and would see a big 12 pointer damn near every morning.  Oh yeah, it's perfectly legal to fire a rifle here because we're out of city limits.  Our 1 acre lot seems to be one of their main paths.  I hope I catch one of them diddly boppin through there one day while I'm fondling my 700P.[:)]  I'm payin $650 a year for a deercamp that I hope ends up worth it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to work in Princeton, saw a dead deer alongside the road damn near everyday.  The town is full of rich folk who are against hunting and guns. The sniper/Dr. featured in ODL used a supressed .223 and said head shots dropped them in their tracks.  Was wondering if it was an AR. Diddnt show a pic.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I fling an arrow out the back door several times per year. We can watch the deer eating our back yard. After watching the little ones grow up all summer I usually have them named. You know: Breakfast, Dinner, and a little one named Snack.

My office is inside the Interstate loop around Little Rock. One of the crews came by to get a ladder and jumped a 9 point and his girlfriend. They were sleeping in the bushes next to the building.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in a subdivision that is only 1/2 mile from  town, 4 lane, grocery stores, fast food. etc. etc. I watch deer eat corn from my bedroom window 30 feet away, they gather around the swing set in my backyard. Also have racoons, fox, bobcat, opossum, rabbit, squirrel, doves, crows and so on. About the only Alabama wildlife I havent seen is turkey. Lots of does, sometimes a spike, but never a big rack. I know the big guy is around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
A damn big bobcat has scared away all the deer, rabbits and turkeys from my place, not to mention, ate some of my own personal foul. I spoke with the warden about it and he told me to waste him. If it's destroying property, destroy it.
The next day or so I'll see him again, then papa's gonna introduce him to 55 gr V-max.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top