Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 10:04:07 AM EDT

Or anyone else?

I know we have around the same model truck (mid 90's) with the TBI intake and emissions sensors and such.  I am just wondering if they go out much on every one.  

I've had three vehicles with the EGR, MAP, O2 sensor, etc. emissions controls and seem to always be replacing one every six months or so.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Or anyone else?

I know we have around the same model truck (mid 90's) with the TBI intake and emissions sensors and such.  I am just wondering if they go out much on every one.  

I've had three vehicles with the EGR, MAP, O2 sensor, etc. emissions controls and seem to always be replacing one every six months or so.

Only problem that that vehicle has had was a bad alternator and a bad fuel pump.  IIRC the '97 has Sequential Fuel Injection and NOT TBI.  It's a 305(5.0 V-8). You have a 350 IIRC.  No problems with the intake and emissions.  I think if the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on it means anything from a loose gas cap to emissions.  

Edit-I cannot say anything about the Cavailier(although I do know a kid at my college that has one, a '98 and I can ask him.  My BIL had an '01 Silverado-albeit briefly-and I do not recall any emissions problems.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I totally got boned by AZ's smog BS. I finally get a truck with OBII and they force me to do the roller test and idle test because it is a 3/4 ton. What a crock.

ETA: If you are failing with new components, many times people do not get their catalytic converters hot enough for the tests. Don't shut off the car, and take it out for a 20 min drive first to get the cats good and hot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
GilaMonster, in IL they have emissions tests too(not statewide though, only certain counties), you also go on rollers and they hook up a hose to your gas tank.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
mine has been known to throw up errors every 3 months or so.  for awhile I had it timed down to 6 weeks.  after I replaced all the plugs and wires its back to about every 3 months giving me a check engine light.  emissions pos.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
GilaMonster, in IL they have emissions tests too(not statewide though, only certain counties), you also go on rollers and they hook up a hose to your gas tank.

I was gonna say, I've never owned a vehicle that would pass an emissions test

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was gonna say, I've never owned a vehicle that would pass an emissions test

WIZZO

Good thing you don't live in Cook County.  Whiteside County doesn't do emissions.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I know that their fuel pumps go out alot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know that their fuel pumps go out alot.

True.  The 97 I have the fuel pump went on it already.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top