Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/17/2005 2:23:10 PM EDT
OK ... this is my first experience doing it. My deck is exactly 1 yr old this month. Time to apply treatment .... what brand do you use? Are you happy with it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:30:09 PM EDT
If you are looking for a tinted sealant, I have been using Olympic Maximum (www.ppg.com/ppgaf/olympic/tint.htm on my deck and fence since 1999 with good results. It's supposed to last 3 years without fading and it easily does that. I redid it in 2002, but will probably wait until 2006 to do it again because it still looks pretty good.

I think there may be some newer products on the market that are good for longer than 3 years.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:17:15 PM EDT

yeah.. and Thompsons is big in the coastal states
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:03:08 PM EDT
For me it's Cabot oil stain. And put it on with a brush not a roller. We have had this discussionn here before and Cabot is a winner.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:36:53 AM EDT
Superdeck natural is what has worked very well for me. I trialed it against the Penofin that I had been using and it was still beading up water after a year! I sanded my whole deck and applied Superdeck. I apply it with a siding foam pad on a handle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:41:16 AM EDT
I rub a little Ointment on my, from time to time. Per doctors instructions
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:42:07 AM EDT
Oops, sorry, read the post title wrong
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:54:34 AM EDT
Whatever you do, DO NOT use Sikkens. I had a job to refinish a deck for a customer of mine. The guy's could not get the old finish off with the stripper I bought. I called Sikkens, "no we do not make a stripper for our own product, it's hard to get off isn't it? giggle giggle" She actually laughed at me and suggested I take 80 grit sandpaper to this 900 sq ft deck.......yeah right.

After several applications of the most expensive stripper I've ever seen and plenty of scrubbing with a brush between applications finally we got it loose we got 90% of it off the deck.

What's left is sealed with Thompsons premium product.
Top Top