Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2016 5:15:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/10/2016 6:32:32 PM EST by jestice75]
The Oneida Limited bayonet is a bit pitted. There were a bunch of .223 marked Colt mags, but most had dinged feed lips or broken springs. I could only pull 2 that were fully functional. The rest are 5.56mm marked. They charged the same price for all the AK mags, they didn't know the difference, the Russian sideslab & Chinese 20 were smoking deals. They'll actually clean up nicely, the springs were coated in grease. Everything steel gets a coating of rust within a couple days of sitting there, it all cleans up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:18:39 AM EST
Couple hundred thousand dong. Man you got shafted.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:25:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2016 5:27:29 AM EST by jestice75]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slabhanger:
View Quote

I actually did. When I was here 5 years ago, the chubby guy I dealt with was wheeling and dealing, big time. Then my wife came alone a couple years ago, and had to deal with his niece, who is Paulie from Goodfellas. I had to deal with her this time, and she gave me the same treatment. The rest was millions.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:28:25 AM EST
Where is the shop at?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:30:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2016 5:31:00 AM EST by GreenBastard]
Originally Posted By bluedevil0204:
Where is the shop at?
View Quote

I'm guessing someplace where the dong is a currency
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:32:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2016 5:33:31 AM EST by jestice75]
Where is the shop at?
View Quote

No idea, I make a gun shooting motion to my wife's mom and ask di di? Then we hop in a cab and buy it up. There were also some kitchen knives and tools for sale there.

Some market in Saigon, Vietnam.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:34:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By jestice75:

No idea, I make a gun shooting motion to my wife's mom and ask di di? Then we hop in a cab and buy it up. There were also some kitchen knives and tools for sale there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Where is the shop at?

How do you get these back to the US?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:37:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By GreenBastard:

View All Quotes
Where is the shop at?

Luggage, it's under $100.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:37:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By Slabhanger:
View Quote

I noticed the pun but for those wondering, it's about $9.00 US.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:15:18 AM EST
A buddy of mine went to Saigon last year and could not even get a bullet keychain through customs there. I'm surprised you could even buy items like that over there...

Good luck! Cool stuff.

1DD
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:15:48 AM EST

View All Quotes
Where is the shop at?

Didn't know that was possible...considering the items.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:18:42 AM EST
<Mr. Spock Voice> "Captain, tricorder readings indicate life threatening levels of gayness in that last picture." </Mr. Spock Voice>.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:20:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2016 2:12:34 PM EST by jestice75]
Originally Posted By 1Devildog:
A buddy of mine went to Saigon last year and could not even get a bullet keychain through customs there. I'm surprised you could even buy items like that over there...

Good luck! Cool stuff.

1DD
View Quote

Really? I've been here once before, I brought back 2 bayonets and 4 mags the first time. My wife brought another 2 bayonets and 4 mags when she went without me.

I didn't think anything of it.

That was 2011 and 2012, hopefully nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:25:33 AM EST
I thought due to ITARS you can't bring stuff like that into the country. Airport customs will confiscate if they find it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:27:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By 6winchester2:
<Mr. Spock Voice> "Captain, tricorder readings indicate life threatening levels of gayness in that last picture." </Mr. Spock Voice>.

View Quote

Meh, my wife's mom handed me a helmet and motioned for me to try it on for the picture, I'm not going to challenge me Huong.

And I got those sunglasses for $2 at the beach. Pretty cool, they were trying to gouge me for $10 for shit sunglasses at the beach. I was bitching about it in the cab, so the driver pulled to the side where a women was selling them on the street at got me the pair for $2, since they don't charge him the -400% savings for being white. Given the circumstances, I'll gladly set off all the gaydars you got.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:29:11 AM EST

...they stamp a 1965-1975 date on EVERYTHING they're trying to sell...

View Quote

Do you want numbah one i-Phone 6?

Dis used by Amelican GI in Vietnam War!!

Five hundred dollah!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:35:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By abtex1:
I thought due to ITARS you can't bring stuff like that into the country. Airport customs will confiscate if they find it.
View Quote

Pretty sure it has a $100 floor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:36:39 AM EST
What are the markings on the slab side AK mag?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:31:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:
What are the markings on the slab side AK mag?
View Quote

Nothing special, same as any other side slab I've seen. 84 in an oval.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:52:01 PM EST
Hopefully those M16 mags were simply discarded by G.I.s who made it home safe and sound
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:58:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Makarov:
Hopefully those M16 mags were simply discarded by G.I.s who made it home safe and sound
View Quote
probably left sitting in a crate at some ammo dump in '75, TBH.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:06:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2016 2:07:54 PM EST by jestice75]
View Quote

Most likely discarded by the South Vietnamese army during the time when the NVA rolled all the way to Saigon.

Eta: beat
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:06:41 PM EST
View Quote
Do you suppose all the M1 rifles sold through the CMP were only used by G.I.'s that survived the war?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:09:22 PM EST
Nice finds OP
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:18:23 PM EST
When you said Vietnamese surplus store I was thinking places to buy pho or other Vietnamese food. I do not know about Vietnam, but in Taiwan (and any other countries practically that has or had a military dictatorship) firearms are not only banned but possession of them is a very serious crime, penalty can include death. I seriously doubt you can just buy AR15 magazines from some surplus shop in Vietnam, which being a communist country probably has extremely strict laws on firearms. Furthermore you wouldn't be able to import it because of ITAR regulation, it would be confiscated immediately and you'd get a visit from the Buerau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. You will then tell them that "I take it this is not about the tobacco or the alcohol."
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:23:03 PM EST

View All Quotes
Where is the shop at?

San Francisco?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:27:24 PM EST
Why do't they sell us those old M-1 Thompsons?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:39:07 PM EST
I'm happy they've been repatriated

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:20:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 4:31:50 AM EST by jestice75]
Originally Posted By taiwanluthiers:
When you said Vietnamese surplus store I was thinking places to buy pho or other Vietnamese food. I do not know about Vietnam, but in Taiwan (and any other countries practically that has or had a military dictatorship) firearms are not only banned but possession of them is a very serious crime, penalty can include death. I seriously doubt you can just buy AR15 magazines from some surplus shop in Vietnam, which being a communist country probably has extremely strict laws on firearms. Furthermore you wouldn't be able to import it because of ITAR regulation, it would be confiscated immediately and you'd get a visit from the Buerau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. You will then tell them that "I take it this is not about the tobacco or the alcohol."
View Quote

BATF has absolutely nothing to do with it at all, and certainly wouldn't pay me a visit over bringing a handful of magazines worth less than $100. If I'm misunderstanding the $100 small parts exemption, customs may take them, which would suck, but I really can't imagine anything more coming of it. Other than people making me paranoid now, of course.

Possession of firearms is prohibited, I'm not following what that has to do with BFPU trinkets that the locals sell to tourists. These people were selling mags, helmets, wartime gear, demilled grenades, and other new cheap shit at the military market, same as they have been doing every day for the past 6+ years. I figure they regulate guns already, why regulate mags when there are shit tons floating around and they can be sold to tourists.

Back in college, when I had no idea what ITAR even was, I may have bought 100 mags from a Ukrainian guy. Customs may have taken one of the packages, and that may have been the end of it.

It wasn't some shop, it was a whole market full of this stuff that tourists were buying up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:38:38 PM EST

Meh, my wife's mom handed me a helmet and motioned for me to try it on for the picture, I'm not going to challenge me Huong.

And I got those sunglasses for $2 at the beach. Pretty cool, they were trying to gouge me for $10 for shit sunglasses at the beach. I was bitching about it in the cab, so the driver pulled to the side where a women was selling them on the street at got me the pair for $2, since they don't charge him the -400% savings for being white. Given the circumstances, I'll gladly set off all the gaydars you got.
View All Quotes

Farang Tax
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:55:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By poeman:

Farang Tax
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By poeman:

Farang Tax

More like Ferengi tax, same business tactics, teeth, and all.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:19:31 AM EST
The lengths people will go for preban mags
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:32:09 AM EST
Rules, man, rules.....where's the wife pic?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:29:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By 1Devildog:

Good luck! Cool stuff.

1DD
View Quote

I see why, at their airport, there were a million signs saying NO AMMUNITION OR BULLETS, EVEN BLANKS. That was in addition to the no explosives, firearms, or bombs signs.

Yea, her parents said they already regulate guns, so they don't bother with the mags, and mags are everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:38:52 AM EST
Bolt face logo infringement on the bottom right of that helmet???

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:57:17 AM EST
And I'm back. Aside from the 18 hour delay, which made my travel time home 44 hours, my in flight food poisoning halfway through, and the guy vomiting on me during the first hour of the trip, it was uneventful.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:03:11 PM EST
Welcome back. Ship any Thompsons home?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:12:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:16:26 PM EST
Saigon. Shit, I'm still only in Saigon
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:04:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By 4v50:
View Quote

LOTS of WWII stuff, since that's what we initially supplied to the ARVN, but I didn't even see anything related to the Thompson.

My wife's dad kept wanted to sharpen my pitted bayonet for me. I had to keep trying to explain that I'm not actually going to be stabbing anyone with it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:35:41 AM EST

LOTS of WWII stuff, since that's what we initially supplied to the ARVN, but I didn't even see anything related to the Thompson.

My wife's dad kept wanted to sharpen my pitted bayonet for me. I had to keep trying to explain that I'm not actually going to be stabbing anyone with it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4v50:

Da fuq?

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:02:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2016 5:18:36 PM EST by jestice75]
Which NDS retro lower to finish the XM-177 clone properly? I think only an A1 would be correct, but can I get away with a slick side lower?
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:20:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2016 4:27:00 AM EST by Matt45]
n/m...
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:37:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By 98kGuy:
Rules, man, rules.....where's the wife pic?
View Quote

I saw the mags marked 223 and completely forgot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:43:53 AM EST
And I'm back. Aside from the 18 hour delay, which made my travel time home 44 hours, my in flight food poisoning halfway through, and the guy vomiting on me during the first hour of the trip, it was uneventful.
View Quote

Fly Southwest?
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:54:54 AM EST
Dan Sinh Market, or Yersin Market because it is located near Yersin street.

Dan Sinh sounds similar to Yersin

They sell restaurant equipment and power tools there too
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:55:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2016 4:59:12 AM EST by jestice75]
Originally Posted By bfmcleaky:

Fly Southwest?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bfmcleaky:

Fly Southwest?

United. And the stewardess kept trying to kick me out of the john, even after she opened the door and I explained to her I had food poisoning. I had a nissen fundoplication done a little over a year ago, so I'm unable to throw up, it all has to go through me. The 50 dry heaves hurt like a bitch too. Why the fuck would you want the guy with food poisoning to return to his seat? And the flight was only 2/3 full, so it's not like they were unable deal with losing one john. Being puked on sucked a lot, I wasn't about to shit on any of the other passengers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:57:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By paternoster2012:
Dan Sinh Market, or Yersin Market because it is located near Yersin street.

Dan Sinh sounds similar to Yersin

They sell restaurant equipment and power tools there too
View Quote

Yep, I got a couple steak knives and other kitchen knives for a buck each. Also picked up a couple pots for a couple bucks each, but they're complete junk. The knives are nice, made in Thailand.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:31:30 AM EST
Next time take EVA, China Air or Cathay Pacific.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:41:47 AM EST

View All Quotes
Where is the shop at?

If you can get me an approximate street address, I'll have some of my relatives stop on by.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:44:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By RickM:
Next time take EVA, China Air or Cathay Pacific.
View Quote

The Asians still do air travel right. I forget which one, but when I traveled there 5 years ago, my connecting flight was canceled so they booked us on an Asian carrier. Food was amazing, seats were roomy, and the flight attendants were all 5'10 model types. I don't know how they find enough 5'10 Asian women.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top