Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 5:39:48 PM EDT

A few miles down the road it looked like this...

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It's global warming, we didn't listen.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I broke the dam
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you take these today? Where was this at?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Monida Pass?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
30 kiloton winds? Holy shit!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Last week in CO we had 55MPH winds, they closed I25 to trucks entering Wyoming.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
So, can you get that GPS in the second pict, down tight enough to keep you on the road in a white out?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Ahh, I'll be driving from wisconsin to north dakota next week ... I'm guessing I'll see some similar sights. I do every year at Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Shot a bit west of Glendive on State 200s a couple of hours ago.

It's posted "emergency travel only" on the MT DOT site at this time.  Wasn't *that* bad in except for a few spots.   Wouldn't even consider it after dark.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
[shudder] brings back waaaaaay too many memories of my five winters in Grand Forks.

Is that genuine snowfall or just a ground blizzard?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Shot a bit west of Glendive on State 200s a couple of hours ago.

It's posted "emergency travel only" on the MT DOT site at this time.  Wasn't *that* bad in except for a few spots.   Wouldn't even consider it after dark.  

That area is the complete middle of nowhere. God how I hate driving out there. Are you headed to Billings?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[shudder] brings back waaaaaay too many memories of my five winters in Grand Forks.

I spent 16 months at Grand Forks AFB, May 1965 until Aug. 1966 and one winter was plenty for me.  I experienced my first and, I hope and pray, my last white out.  That was a spooky thing.  Never been so damn cold in my life.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Ah yes, reminds me of the time I drove from Rapid City SD to Caldwell ID and drove right into a Blizzard
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent 16 months at Grand Forks AFB, May 1965 until Aug. 1966 and one winter was plenty for me.  I experienced my first and, I hope and pray, my last white out.  That was a spooky thing.  Never been so damn cold in my life.

Our last winter there we went 68 days in a row without the temperature getting UP to zero.  Coldest I experienced was -45 with a 42 mph wind, combined windchill to -96.  Got stuck on alert for two days for that one, took us nearly three hours to do a 1.25 hour drive and we almost ditched it twice.  Had one crew whose fuel line froze WHILE THEY WERE DRIVING.  I know it doesn't compare to Alaska, but that kind of weather is supposed to BE in Alaska, not down here in CONUS.

I knew we had lived in the Forks too long when Mrs Limaxray was going to a friend's house literally around the corner, and she asked me what the temp was, so she could figure out if she should walk or drive.

My answer, serious as a heart attack:  "Go ahead and walk, it's only twenty below."
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Ahhh, It'll BUFF OUT!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:

i live in GA. spent a week in copper mountain colorado. one night i decided to drive east to frisco after dark in blowing snow. i will drive in anythying, snow, mud, ice. but that was my first white out. you could not see the road. every so often i woud see a car on its side.. you would come up on 18 wheelers doing 4 mph. as soon as i got to frisco, i turned around and crept back . the scarriest driving ever. and i once drove over several miles of black ice in the mountains of tennesee in the 60's. i never wanna see another white out...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
DO NOT MOCK THE MIGHTY MONTANA

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I might be moving to Grand Forks
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ahh, I'll be driving from wisconsin to north dakota next week ... I'm guessing I'll see some similar sights. I do every year at Christmas.

Last year, through Wyoming and Nebraska was the worst I've ever encountered.  You couldn't get off any exits because the snow was so deep, and visibility was a no shit 50 feet or so.  We were driving in ruts, in snow about a foot deep with blowing wind, for 5 hours.  You literally could not see the traffic on the opposing side of I80.

You didn't dare stop because you'd be hit.  At one point, we went off the highway onto one of those truck rest areas and back on to the highway, without knowing it.  You literally just followed the ruts, and tried to keep your speed up to where you could see a glow of red in front of you, so you knew where to follow.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our last winter there we went 68 days in a row without the temperature getting UP to zero.  Coldest I experienced was -45 with a 42 mph wind, combined windchill to -96.  Got stuck on alert for two days for that one, took us nearly three hours to do a 1.25 hour drive and we almost ditched it twice.  Had one crew whose fuel line froze WHILE THEY WERE DRIVING.  I know it doesn't compare to Alaska, but that kind of weather is supposed to BE in Alaska, not down here in CONUS.

I knew we had lived in the Forks too long when Mrs Limaxray was going to a friend's house literally around the corner, and she asked me what the temp was, so she could figure out if she should walk or drive.

My answer, serious as a heart attack:  "Go ahead and walk, it's only twenty below."

My first winter here, the wind chill hit -85°F in January.  I remember watching coverage of one of the Space Shuttle missions and the commentator was talking about the fact that the temperature in the cargo bay with the doors open was -100°F; and I said to myself, "You mean the wind chill here is only 15° warmer than outer fucking space?!"

Hey, the weather keeps the Californians out.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My first winter here, the wind chill hit -85°F in January.  I remember watching coverage of one of the Space Shuttle missions and the commentator was talking about the fact that the temperature in the cargo bay with the doors open was -100°F; and I said to myself, "You mean the wind chill here is only 15° warmer than outer fucking space?!"

Note to self:

DO NOT, DO NOT, spend winter in the Dakotas, 'cause holy shit, Chicago is cold enough as it is.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last year, through Wyoming and Nebraska was the worst I've ever encountered.  You couldn't get off any exits because the snow was so deep, and visibility was a no shit 50 feet or so.  We were driving in ruts, in snow about a foot deep with blowing wind, for 5 hours.  You literally could not see the traffic on the opposing side of I80.

You didn't dare stop because you'd be hit.  At one point, we went off the highway onto one of those truck rest areas and back on to the highway, without knowing it.  You literally just followed the ruts, and tried to keep your speed up to where you could see a glow of red in front of you, so you knew where to follow.

I've been through that crap a couple of times going from minneapolis to bismarck.

Out in the middle of nowhere on I94 with snow blowing a complete white out across the road and some jackass comes flying along at 70 mph in the passing lane. Scared the shit out of me. I was going 50 just because I was afraid of being rear ended and all I could see in front of me was a hint of the next car's tail lights.

I bought myself a bright strobe light to put on the back of my car this year. hopefully that'll reduce the chance of getting hit.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#24]
here are my 2 bad weather pics from western maryland.

story went winter tent camping in a 3 season north face tent, temps down to 10 at night ( wind chill unknown ) about 1.5 feet of snow, roads ice under 3 inches of snow, saw a strange sight off the side of the road turned around and went back to see a tractor trailer hanging of the side of the road. the cab was hooked on the guard rail, from what i heard the truck rolled a 1/4 mile down the road till it found a large drop. the first pic is all i could see at night from my head lights, you need to remember that the road drops off about 60 feet or so over the guard rail. the second pic is 3 tractor trailer tow trucks trying to pull it up, they wound up brining in 2 cranes to lift it ( no pics )

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

rabble rabble ahhhhhh rabble rabble its got me!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#26]
When chosing a place to live my moto is.

If its snowing, I aint going.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I spent my college years in Sioux Falls, SD. One winter it was -49, windchill using the old system was -127. It was -20 for a week straight and about a month without going above zero.  I actually liked it. A friends car wouldn't start so we called AAA, they put us on the waiting list with an estimated wait of 5 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Bah.....we've had worse in Kansas before.

It was so bad last winter, couldnt see more than 5ft past the hood.  And I was doing 65mph down the Interstate passing other cars and shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rabble rabble ahhhhhh rabble rabble its got me!!!!!!

That's never gonna get old.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top