Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/26/2005 7:56:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2005 7:58:13 PM EDT by KingOfTheBumps]
Denny & Rich-

Regarding the December issue, I have several comments:

First, I have been remiss not to have previously called out "Training & Tactics" articles written by Louis Awerbuck sooner. He is probably one of the most skilled "gun writers" in any related publication anywhere. I always get a kick out of reading his articles, there is an actual beauty to his writing, there is comedy and there is always the serious message. He is a real gem in the SWAT Magazine crown.

Second, Project Phoenix; Holy Cow!!! Glad you were able to recover/rebuild a few of your loved firearms. I love that paint scheme on the AR and on the Kimber Warrior!

Third, the article on Suarez International Terrorism Interdiction Course. I won't be the spoiler for those who have not gotten/read this issue yet, but holy cow (again)! This is the exact reason why I have been a SWAT Magazine subscriber for two years, and why I will continue to be as long as you call it like you see it. This is also the reason why I don't subscribe to any other gun mags! Nuff' said here.

Forth, Claire Wolfe: Love her writing, and I enjoy how she forces you to think about things. Please keep her around. The December article by her was very stirring, I literally found myself taking "both sides" as I read through it. I will have to read it another time or two - deep thinking there.

Fifth, love the other great articles, both on Tactical Response's High Risk Civilian Contractor Course (I have previously taken a carbine course through this group, and I was impressed), and on the "Report From The Front" by Erick Gelhaus. You just jammed the December issue full of great content!

Enough of the love fest here though, I don't want you all to get your head's stuck in the doorway when you walk out of the room you are in. Your challenge for the future is to keep such great content coming regularly for us readers, as we have come to expect it, and to look for ways to continue to improve and remain the leader (when you are number 1, everyone wants a piece of you!).

Keep up the good work,
KOTB

edited to clean it up a bit
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 10:40:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 3:47:36 AM EDT

Third, the article on Suarez International Terrorism Interdiction Course. I won't be the spoiler for those who have not gotten/read this issue yet, but holy cow (again)! This is the exact reason why I have been a SWAT Magazine subscriber for two years, and why I will continue to be as long as you call it like you see it. This is also the reason why I don't subscribe to any other gun mags! Nuff' said here.

Not the usual butt kissing review we typically see in the other mags. I like to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. Good job!
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 8:36:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Eric:

Not the usual butt kissing review we typically see in the other mags. I like to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. Good job!

+1. Read it yesterday.

Gabe can't be happy about this review. Nope, not happy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 10:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2005 5:57:48 AM EDT by jadams951]
I remember when I met ol Gabe a year or two ago. He was in town doing some training class and while working an accident or something some guys with him came up to me telling me what I needed to do and then started going on about ol Gabe. Now he might be a great guy and all but I remembered him being indicted for some kind of fraud. I brought that up to those guys and they said it wasn't him and they mentioned it to him when he walked up and introduced himself. The look on his face turned quite weird. Well, he didn't seem quite happy when that was mentioned and he said it was him I was thinking of.

Now I do have to say idiot to the writer that wrote the letter in the mail call section saying that revolvers had no place in being mentioned and that only semi autos should discussed in this day and age.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 8:14:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2005 8:15:54 AM EDT by Rich_Lucibella]
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 8:26:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KingOfTheBumps:

Third, the article on Suarez International Terrorism Interdiction Course. I won't be the spoiler for those who have not gotten/read this issue yet, but holy cow (again)! This is the exact reason why I have been a SWAT Magazine subscriber for two years, and why I will continue to be as long as you call it like you see it. This is also the reason why I don't subscribe to any other gun mags! Nuff' said here.t

Yes, I was impressed to see a REAL article.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:03:03 AM EDT
really enjoyed the issue, SWAT and particularly the the no BS perspective on the training classes and what to look for and expect from their subject matter.

(couldn't help but remember the well written review done here on ARFCOM by our SINISTER-RIFLEMAN, as his experience and lessons were similar to the authors)

How much more realistic can it get than to get training from a skilled trainer that knows instruction techniques and has been in a real world ambush- and survived

I would like to see the video that was referenced, as I am almost certain the first thing lost is a plan

Mr Yeager has earned the respect he commands and some may even realize his greatest gift - the opportunity to fight again another day

Good NOLA work, helpful gear review.

(more gun reviews!, please) j/k.. great issue
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 7:44:04 AM EDT
Completely agreed on the comments, Dec was the 3rd issue of SWAT that I've bought off the shelf and it was the one that compelled me to subscribe.

Claire Wolfe's articles continue to be challenging, drawing on both sides and perspectives of today's law enforcement environment.

The guns/gear/training content seems to set the bar higher with each issue.

I'm signed up for a year now, so keep it up, guys!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 2:34:10 PM EDT
I think this was really one of the best issues to date.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:35:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2005 6:36:34 AM EDT by macman37]

Originally Posted By geegee:

Originally Posted By Eric:

+1. Read it yesterday.

Gabe can't be happy about this review. Nope, not happy.

+2

I hardly come to this forum but had to after reading that article!

I read it THREE times - I couldn't believe a magazine was writing it the first time, second time I couldn't believe the instructor was allowing that, and the third time I just felt anger and shame for the guy...

All in all, special thanks to you guys at SWAT for writing an article that called out what needed calling out and not just gladhanding the instructor.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the guy on the cover appears to have a Sure-Fire setup from Brightflashlights (with the shock isolated bezel... I only mention it because I have one myself... )
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 6:06:09 AM EDT
I was happy to see the foot wear article. Most of the guys live in the suburbs and work indoors, so good 'tactical' ( I hate to use the term) footgear is a new topic and valuable information for us all.

A thought - different manufacturers and even boot style affect the sizing and the fit. My Matterhorns are marked 12 wide and fit like a 12 narrow. I also have 2 pair of different style Corcorans, both sized 12 wide and roomy. The odd component is that Matterhorn and Corcoran are both owned by Cove Shoe of Martinsburg, PA.

I am glad to see the truth published, although I do wonder how Gabe Suarez managed to get where he is if that is the normal quality of instruction at his direction.

Ops
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 8:41:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/11/2005 8:57:37 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 9:11:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/11/2005 9:12:11 AM EDT by DScott]
There are a number of excellent threads at Tac Forums about Gabe Suarez- and this is from one poster (Phil306) that details a bit of the criminal background of this hedgehog:

On Friday, March 2, 2001 two Santa Monica Police Officers were arrested in connection with conspiracy to defraud the City of Santa Monica through Workers Compensation fraud. Officers Jason Comer and Gabriel Suarez were arrested along with Suarez wife Cheryl Suarez.

That was a headline from the Santa Monica Mirror, Dated March 14-20, 2001. By the way, charges against Officer Comer were eventually dropped.

In a nutshell, what occurred is as follows:

On 11/28/1999, Gabriel Saurez filed for a Workers Comp Claim, for a "slip and fall" accident in the police locker room. He alleged to have hurt his back, knee, and possibly his arm.

The City of Santa Monica completed two depositions of Saurez, on March 20, 2000 and June 26, 2000. Both times Saurez was under oath. During the time Saurez was collecting Workers Compensation money (tax free money I might add) he continued to run his side business, teaching firearms training. Including courses in "high risk entries and raids."

Saurez was the vice president, stock holder, and main trainer of Concord, California based The Halo Group. Saurez made $400 a day for classses taught at the Concord location and $500.00 a day for classes taught outside of California. Saurez's first $800.00 paycheck was paid by the Halo Group and made out to him. However, at Saurez's request, all subsequent checks were made out, from a welding business account to his wife Cheryl Saurez.

There is more, however, I am sure everyone gets the point. Saurez pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges, so he could still touch a gun and continue to teach firearms. He spent one year in LA County Jail and his wife 1 day. Also, part of the plea agreement was he would have to pay back the state 112,000 THOUSAND dollars... and not sue the City of Santa Monica.

Mr Saurez's defense in all this is: The city was after me. I didn't have enough money to fight them. Which is obviously a lie. The attorney's fees, alone for the criminal case wouldn't have amounted to the money he agreed to repay. He also resigned in leiu of termination.

Also, the investigation into him, was wide spread. No one went after him specifically. He makes himself out to be some "renegade, rogue cop," where the system was "out to get him." He in fact, BRAGS he has committed other crimes, while a police officer, however he "has to wait for the statute of limitations to run out, before writing about them."

link

Why ANYONE would do business with this guy is beyond me. Why he's still breathing "free man's air" * is even more baffling...

* (love that phrase...)
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:42:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/11/2005 10:43:44 AM EDT by SoCalJBT]
A chiropacter on worker's compensation doing jail time?

If that were an equation, it would be fraud squared = convict.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:21:54 AM EDT
I really enjoy SWAT. The article on Suarez was interesting.

Claire Wolf's article pissed me off. Don't get me wrong, I often agree with her and am concerrned about the ersosion of civil rights here in the US. I also like seeing her articles in a cop oriented magazine. I realize that both sides of the particular incident were presented.

It just gets old. I'm tired of the constant assumption that someone who puts other people first and tries to protect and help people is always assumed to be wrong. I really don't feel sorry for indolent, lazy kids and rejected hippies when they get "fill in the blank"-ed for resisting arrest or assaulting other cops.

i want to know what any of these concerned citizens ever did to help one other person. What have they ever contributed to society? No, standing around yelling doesn't count as a contribution. Who's alive becuase you were there? Who wasn't raped because you stopped it? (I'm not directing these questions specifically at Claire. I direct the questions at the cop-bashers in general).

More specific to Claire: have you ever seen a use of force continuum? I don't mean the question as an attack. Usually passive resistance means that we escalate to compliance techniques. There are reasons why what seems to be excessive to the ignorant really is justified. Denny, maybe you guys could do an article on use of force from a police perspective. Some people will never change their minds, others will actually learn something.

I don't know the circumstances of the incident that the article was based on, so I won't comment on it. Are there occasions when excessive force is used? Of course. Except for those few who should have never been cops in the first place, I lay most of this at the feet of poor training. There are two weaknesses that I see in LE training.

First is that officers are unsure of the use of force spectrum. I think this is primarily a fault of inexperience and lack of intermediate tools. In this day and age not having less lethal weapons available is criminal on the part of departments. TAZERS, for instance, in spite of hype, have lead to decreased fatal shootings where they have been implemented. Options need to be available between fists and guns.

Second, and in my opinion the biggest cause, is fear. Officers are not trained to the point that they are capable of dealing with many situations. When you start to feel out of control in the situation, it leads to fear. Fear often becomes anger. This perception of weakness in the officer also leads to the "badge heavy" officer who can't be passed on the highway or must escalate confrontations in order to win. I'm really not articulating this point very well....

How often do officers train in hands on techniques? Except for two academies, I do all of that training on my own. I don't think that I am alone among those who even bother to train. In most confrontations I am confident that I can win a physical fight. I am therefore dealing from a position of power and not fear. Confidence, not uncertainty. That comes across to most people that aren't ED or on drugs/drunk. It can help diffuse the situation from ever becoming physical. I know of no departments that push physical and combatitive training to the point that the officers are confident. There are a lot of reasons for this, but I've used enough band width.

Claire-- if you read this I hope you don't take anything as a personal attack on you. It is not intended that way. I see people like you, people that are willing to shout about civil rights where people will hear it, as one of the checks on a possible police state. I would like to have an open conversation about some of these issues here, if the mods don't mind. Maybe we can even keep the GD trolls out. I think ignorance of what we do and how we are trained is one of the biggest barriers between the ctizenry and cops. Maybe we can lift the veil a little.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:24:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/14/2005 4:26:04 AM EDT by Rich_Lucibella]
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:12:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:45:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Denny_Hansen:
Steve-
Good post and good idea. If you're interested in writing that article I can be reached at denny@swatmag.com

He's with USSS. Does he know anything about law enforcement?!?

Just kidding. Steve used to be with Border Patrol, so he ought to know something about LE work. Don't know if he can write, however.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:51:34 PM EDT
El Abo-- How many times have I told you to stop using that picture of me for your avatar?

Now, where did I leave those jack boots?

Steve
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:28:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2005 3:28:55 AM EDT by El_Abogado]

Originally Posted By USSS_Steve:
El Abo-- How many times have I told you to stop using that picture of me for your avatar?

Now, where did I leave those jack boots?

Steve

Dude, the hair's on your palms. . . .

Rich, weren't you in CO lately?
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 7:27:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2005 7:29:53 AM EDT by Hagakure]
Denny & Rich,
I very much enjoyed the December issue. I also want to congratulate you on publishing the Saurez article. It is probably the first time I have ever read a first hand description of a class that was anything less than glowing. It was quite refreshing. It also provides a service to anyone that had any thoughts of involving themselves with Suarez. Though, I might add It seems I was more shocked and dismayed than most regarding the type of training he is offering. A few of the comments as noted above made reference to the article as, "interesting". For me, "Interesting" does not quite do it for me.
Mr. Suarez's name at one time carried with it some semblance of respect. I have a few of his books and always found them to contain fairly straightforward and competent information. But if Mr. Arron's article is to be believed, then I actually feel very sorry for what has become of Gabe.
I don't mind the occasional, "Maverick" in our society. You know the type. Pioneers in a field. Breaking all the rules because the rest of us are too close minded to see the glaring truths in front of us. Angering people and stepping on the toes of the establishment along the way. (Col. Beckwith, Col. O. North come to mind) But Suarez is none of that. My overall impression of his methodology and curriculum in this so-called,"Terrorism-Interdiction course" to not only be bordering on the surreal but dangerous at best. I don't know Mr. Arron personally but I am glad he had the good sense to bail out on the second day. What is even more frightening is the possibility that others in the class probably remained for the rest of the 5-day course thinking that they had received some sort of up to date HSLD training. It is a disservice the rest of the industry.

Rant off
Again, thanks for a great magazine!

Edit for grammar
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 8:16:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2005 8:18:29 AM EDT by Rich_Lucibella]
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 9:05:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rich_Lucibella:

Rich, weren't you in CO lately?
Affirm. Meat in the freezer.

Sorry I couldn't make it. Work kept me away.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 4:41:05 AM EDT
Claire Wolfe is the best thing that has happened to SWAT since I've been reading it. I read Louis Awerbuck's column first (easy to find, thank!), then I read hers. Then I read Brent Wheat's, because I like his writing style and he's a local guy (although I don't always agree with him). The rest gets skimmed and I read it if it interests me.

Link Posted: 11/17/2005 8:49:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2005 8:49:30 AM EDT by AZCOP]

Originally Posted By rhino_:
Claire Wolfe is the best thing that has happened to SWAT since I've been reading it.

Hold on while I get my trash can to throw up in.
Thanks.

Fortunately, I didn't get to read wolfe's December diatribe.
On the down side, I also didn't get my monthly dose of Pat Rogers either.

That's because my December issue disappeared from the house the day after I got it.

I swear my daughter took it to middle school to read.

Denny,
Who has it locally that I can buy the December issue?

Jay
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 11:48:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2005 12:03:52 PM EDT by DVC9]

I read the "Suarez" article with interest and more than a little dismay.

Started reading references to the article on this and other forums, Wow.

We should expend as much energy on the anti gun crowd!!

Some observations

There was no mention in the article about Mr. Suarezs' background to allow people unfamiliar with the man to form an opinion of where he was coming from.

Neither does the Author or the editor make reference to Mr. Aarons' background to allow the reader to put statements and judgements made by the author in some perspective.

ie Is Mr. Aaron a Square Range Gamesman trying to evaluate a brand new cirriculum meant for advanced Defensive shooters?

The whole nature of the piece seems to have a negative bias against Mr. Suarez, enough so it brings the specific obsevations into at least a degree of doubt.
Negative Inuendos abound, such as "Suarez puts little faith in the Professionals helping at all." insinuating Mr Suarezis is basically anti LEO. Despite the fact that Mr. Suarez is a veteran LEO himself and has been decorated for Valor.

The reference "One positive thing Gabe did was to bring an AK-47 to class so he could instruct the students on its use."

Lets look at this statement. First If I may be allowed to be as picky as Mr. Aaron, I will submit that I doubt Suarez brought an "AK-47" ,a class Three firearm. At least the rifle pictured ,appears to be a MAK-90, a semi auto civlianized version of the AK-47
Further the statement would seem to infer that the simple act of bringing this very common everyday rifle to the class was out of the ordinary. Was the class so poor that this mundane act stood out beyond the training itself??

How about some of the safety issues??

If indeed people were waveing loaded pistols around, then I understand the concern.
The problem is that with the bias shown in the rest of the article it is hard to have faith that these specific observations might not have been biased as well.

In the article previous to the one about Gabe, "Prepared to Kill" the author of that article enthusiastically refers to live fire and movement situations"

shooting multiple targets,,shooting while moving, shooting with a partner,and finally shooting within larger teams.Because the line of fire was neither fixed nor one dimensional, each student had to have a situatioal awareness that greatly exceeds the requirements of the average civilian or law enforcement shooter"

So could it be assumed that had Mr.Aaron written "Prepared to Kill" that he would have applied the same "Square range Attitude" and condemed Mr.Yeagers training as well. If shooters, retrieving magazines off Gabes line wound Aaron up, then it follows that the Fire and maneuver sequences taught by Mr. Yeager would cause him to vapor lock!!

As far as Gabe standing beside a target while someone shot at the target...

Well guess it depends on how it was done. But I will say this...
In the mid 70s I personally received training that required the group to be down range and experience the SOUND & PRESSURE, of various weapons discharging at various ranges. Was it unsafe, IMO no, different Yes! even startling at first, but I guess that was the idea.
'Spose Gabe had the SAME idea? Maybe he was not just grandstanding as Mr.Aaron suggests.

Mr Aaron indicates he would have "Flunked" the shoothouse event had it been graded.
He makes sure to let the reader know he scored all 10 ring hits. But the course of fire Specifically called for "Headshots" by his own admission. Maybe he has problems following simple instructions
or more likely his anamosity for Gabe was so strong that he arrogantly chose to ignore the instructions.

As far as the relevence of the particular course, " Terrorist Interdiction"...
I believe the premise to be sound in this day and age.

It sounds as though the subject deserves more time than was allowed. OK, why not say that then? As far as I know this is the first "Promoted" class of this type and is still I believe New for Suarez international. Would it have been so difficult to offer some constructive thoughts and suggestions??

Even the photos chosen are less than flattering. Certainly after criticizing the after action sequence and the SUL position why else would he chose that particular photo. And the photo of Gabe with his face all scrunched up, leaning on his leg holding the MAK-90.
When viewed in the context portrayed by the author the picture supports the convoluted image of Gabe Suarez that Mr. Aaron seems so obsessed with building.

We gun owners know all too well how the media can slant a story to fit whatever outcome they wish the reader to perceive. It would certainly seem like "SWAT " (For Whatever Reason) has commited that same transgression in this case.

This type of Subjective reporting is less than what we expect from SWAT, You can do better.

Respectfully, Mick
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 12:09:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AZCOP:

Claire Wolfe is the best thing that has happened to SWAT since I've been reading it.

Thanks.

On the down side

Jay

+1 on Claire and of course a jack booted thug would not like her cus she speaks out against that sort of thing, that you find so humorous.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 12:15:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rich_Lucibella:
.... But we generally don't cover basic courses and like to feature what we believe is the instructor's "cutting edge" offering. ...

Rich,
I'd ask that you reconsider this policy.

Lots of guys out there (LEO, Civilian and even Military) have not taken even a basic course. Even among those of us who have taken a basic course, we still want/need to take more. It would be nice to see what other basic courses are like and how & what they teach in their course.

-Forest
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 12:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2005 12:50:43 PM EDT by Forest]
DVC9, I wonder if we read the same article? My observations where very different from yours.

There was no mention in the article about Mr. Suarezs' background to allow people unfamiliar with the man to form an opinion of where he was coming from.

I'm glad they didn't. It would have put a very much negative spin on the whole thing if they starteded out by informing the readers of the all of Mr Suarezs's background.

Neither does the Author or the editor make reference to Mr. Aarons' background to allow the reader to put statements and judgements made by the author in some perspective.

That is a good point, one I would have liked seen covered (much like they put a shortened Bio of Pat after his articles).

Negative Inuendos abound, such as "Suarez puts little faith in the Professionals helping at all." insinuating Mr Suarezis is basically anti LEO. Despite the fact that Mr. Suarez is a veteran LEO himself and has been decorated for Valor.

I thought the comment was entirely appropriate. It does go to showing mindset and where the instructor is comming from.

I've seen several former servicemen in Congress make disparging remarks about our troops in the Middle East. It says alot about them, dumping on their former brothers.

How about some of the safety issues??

If indeed people were waveing loaded pistols around, then I understand the concern.
The problem is that with the bias shown in the rest of the article it is hard to have faith that these specific observations might not have been biased as well.

How is it biased to point out that students are sweeping their fellow classmates???

How is it bias to point out the instructor DID NOT come down hard on these violations?

"Square range Attitude" and condemed Mr.Yeagers training as well. If shooters, retrieving magazines off Gabes line wound Aaron up, then it follows that the Fire and maneuver sequences taught by Mr. Yeager would cause him to vapor lock!!

What kind of logic is this? Someone bending over in front of the line w/o anyone realizing it (because you're not supposed to) is somehow the same as an instructor running his students througha fire & manuver drill - when all the students know what is going on?

As far as Gabe standing beside a target while someone shot at the target...

Well guess it depends on how it was done.

Negative. You never 'demonstrate' such stupidity to a bunch of students. Especially relatively inexpereinced shooters (as their lack of safety showed) who may try to replicate this feat at home.

In the mid 70s I personally received training that required the group to be down range and experience the SOUND & PRESSURE, of various weapons discharging at various ranges.

Because you did it and lived to tell about does not make is safe or something worth repeating.

Mr Aaron indicates he would have "Flunked" the shoothouse event had it been graded.
He makes sure to let the reader know he scored all 10 ring hits. But the course of fire Specifically called for "Headshots" by his own admission. Maybe he has problems following simple instructions
or more likely his anamosity for Gabe was so strong that he arrogantly chose to ignore the instructions.

Or his training is so ingraned that when running the drill at speed training took over and he went for COM shots...

Would it have been so difficult to offer some constructive thoughts and suggestions??

I thought he did - the safty suggestions alone were very constructive.

Even the photos chosen are less than flattering. ...And the photo of Gabe with his face all scrunched up, leaning on his leg holding the MAK-90.

I have no idea where you are comming from. I saw that and didn't thing anything wrong with it. The photo made Gabe look very reachable and down to earth.

It would certainly seem like "SWAT " (For Whatever Reason) has commited that same transgression in this case.

Yet the author also pointed out good parts of the training (the knife techniques for example). If this were a 'hit piece' why bother to point it out in a good light?

Honestly I think the article was pretty balanced. Maybe it wasn't Gabe at his best, but it showed the good and bad of that course on those 2 days. From your comments I take it your a fan and/or student of Mr Suarezs?

I know it sucks when your heros don't measure up, or screw up royally. But it happens, don't blame the messenger for their shortcommings. (personally I'm still P.O.ed at John Glenn for participating in that Keating 7 scandal but I don't blame the media for reporting on it).

-Forest
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:03:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:31:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2005 1:33:06 PM EDT by Rich_Lucibella]
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 2:13:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By death451:

Thanks.

On the down side

Jay

+1 on Claire and of course a jack booted thug would not like her cus she speaks out against that sort of thing, that you find so humorous.

No offense to Mrs. Wolfe, but I wholeheartedly agree with AZCOP. In fact, I've grown quite accustomed to skipping over here column, although I firmly belive that the space would be better spent if it were dedicaed to something else.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 2:22:32 PM EDT
Keep Claire Wolfe. She is a much needed breath of reality in the self-congratulatory 'tactical' world.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 2:26:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CitySlicker:

Thanks.

On the down side

Jay

No offense to Mrs. Wolfe, but I wholeheartedly agree with AZCOP. In fact, I've grown quite accustomed to skipping over here column, although I firmly belive that the space would be better spent if it were dedicaed to something else.

Just my two cents.

With your sig line I figured you would have said something different.

Cus you never read her articles too carefully then. (hint she tends to be very pro 2nd Amendment)
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 4:40:23 PM EDT

Thanks.

On the down side

Jay

Just my two cents.

Cus you never read her articles too carefully then. (hint she tends to be very pro 2nd Amendment)

Thanks.

On the down side

Jay

Just my two cents.

Can't argue with you on that one.

Truth be told, I read her column once before and that was my last time. Not that she's an unskilled writer, far from it in fact, just that I don't buy SWAT magazine to read the OP/ED type articles that she puts out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 4:50:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

Originally Posted By KingOfTheBumps:

Third, the article on Suarez International Terrorism Interdiction Course. I won't be the spoiler for those who have not gotten/read this issue yet, but holy cow (again)! This is the exact reason why I have been a SWAT Magazine subscriber for two years, and why I will continue to be as long as you call it like you see it. This is also the reason why I don't subscribe to any other gun mags! Nuff' said here.t

Yes, I was impressed to see a REAL article.

Yeap, Ill be reading SWAT more often.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 11:22:12 AM EDT

What do I find so humorous,,, cus?

Jay
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 1:22:34 PM EDT
Depending on where in AZ you patrol, I'll guess that you find chasing Pima humorous...

Jay

Link Posted: 11/18/2005 2:13:15 PM EDT
Ah, Ah, Ahhhhhhh,,,
Let's not go there.

Jay

Originally Posted By 5thCavGuy:
Depending on where in AZ you patrol, I'll guess that you find chasing Pima humorous...

Jay

Link Posted: 11/18/2005 4:11:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2005 4:23:13 PM EDT by 5thCavGuy]
Understood. I had a family member formerly w/ Scottsdale PD that always won our story-swaps w/ Pima cases...all I had was drunks and trailer parks. Soon as they said "I swear to God" you knew the lying was about to start.

If my post came off as anything other than a funny it was not intended.

Ah, Ah, Ahhhhhhh,,,
Let's not go there.

Jay

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 3:09:41 AM EDT

Keep Claire Wolfe. She is a much needed breath of reality in the self-congratulatory 'tactical' world
- She comes across as no more than a bitter puppet recounting some of the stories of how her "friends" where "screwed over by da man".
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:13:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

Keep Claire Wolfe. She is a much needed breath of reality in the self-congratulatory 'tactical' world
- She comes across as no more than a bitter puppet recounting some of the stories of how her "friends" where "screwed over by da man".

I honestly don't see her that way and if anything I agree with her on quite a few of the issues she brings up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:37:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WMHM4:

I honestly don't see her that way and if anything I agree with her on quite a few of the issues she brings up.

I see her that way because every single article she rights is tinfoil hat on, conspiracist theory, anti .gov, etc. It gets old after a while.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:19:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2005 1:20:05 PM EDT by death451]

Jay

Being a jack booted thug.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:45:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jadams951:

I see her that way because every single article she rights is tinfoil hat on, conspiracist theory, anti .gov, etc. It gets old after a while.

I can see how you can say it is tinfoil crap but a good bit of it is not. The one article in the Sept issue "when good news for cops is bad new for cops" I think is dead on. I really don't think she has anything against the police and neither do I. I'm actually going to be applying shortly to the Philadelphia PD. In the article she talks about how the police are continuosly being given ever expanding power and how it can be abused. I personally have seen first hand too many times to count, police abusing their power and I as Claire am concerned that one day it might backfire for the police. Too many of our freedoms are being given away too easily and alot of it needs to stop and the first ones that will have to deal with it will be the police.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2005 4:58:52 PM EDT by AZCOP]

Jay

Actually, what I find humorus is seeing your handle on stormfront.org

And,,,
You forgot the "cus",,, cus.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:20:44 PM EDT

Jay

And,,,

Jay

I hate Minnesota Nazis!
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:21:05 PM EDT
I'm with DVC9 on a few things concerning the GS/SI article by Mr. Aaron.
Give some background about Mr. Aaron.
The choice of photos for the article seemed to be chosen so as to sway opinion.
Can any of the safety concerns brought up in the article be verified by another student, or past student(s) of prior classes?
No, I'm not a Gabe follower, neither have I taken instruction from him. Do have a couple books.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:39:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jadams951:

Yeah, ignorance is bliss...huh?

The fact that she is interested in pointing out our constantly eroding civil rights, .gov abuses and raises the general alarm has nothing to do with being a gun owner or being interested in self defense? I am sorry, but the two (gun ownership and civil rights/.gov abuse/etc) are so strongly intertwined, I don't see how you could not see her place and worth in a magazine like SWAT.

I will agree that it would be nice if she would reference the specific incidents she writes about (city, state, date, department, where reported, etc) in a footnotes section, or somewhere. This would give her writing less of a "tinfoil hat" (for you hardened doubters) and a more documentary style of writing (facts, not heresay).

I say keep her, I like to use my brain once in a while as well.

KOTB

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:08:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2005 8:17:37 AM EDT by death451]

Jay

And,,,

Jay

I go there to talk about fire arms does not mean I am a Nazi I give everyone of all race creed and color = respect. Plus I love liveing in a republic and find fasisim (SP) stupid.

I find it interesting that YOU are there. Why is that I wonder?

People can look at what I post I have nothing to hide I was educateing them on how good the AR series of rifles are. ( they hate them maybe because they are black I don't knowthe AR that is)
I go to every board on the web to discus firearms even liberal board if they let me. next thing you know you will call me a liberal once you find me on that site.

I wonder what your name is over there?

My friend once said every time you point a finger there is a thumb pointing at you kind of true don't you think.

Later Uncle, D
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top