Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 10:52:58 AM EDT
I had an outstanding (disputed) debt with SBC. I don't care to go into details (public forum after all), but it did appear on my credit report as a collection. These have a nasty tendency to kill your credit, as I'm sure you're well aware. My anger ran so deep over this, that I flatly refused to pay it. Ever.

The problem is, I really can't afford to have my credit screwed up over this. So, here's what I did:

1. As far as I'm concerned, if they have the power to add something to my credit report, they have the power to remove it. Turns out I'm right.
2. I negotiated a reduced amount (saved $150).
3. I negotiated payment contigent on recieving confirmation IN WRITING that the debt would be REMOVED from my report (all three agencies), not simply shown as paid.
4. They agreed, and I got the letter.
5. They got paid.
6. Today, I pulled my report and it has completely vanished from my credit report. It's like it was never there.

I'm pissed over having to pay it to begin with, but sometimes you've got to lose a battle to win the war. Paying them was cheaper than higher interest rates, or an attorney.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#1]
SBC is a real pain to deal with, it has taken me 45 miniutes to get to speak with a real human.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how much your bill was, but whatever it was, to have it removed from your report makes the payment worth it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#3]
what is SBC?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what is SBC?

What is google.com?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#5]
MY credit listing probably reads like Mike Tysons rap sheet.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what is SBC?

Tyranny, and purveyors of dial tone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what is SBC?

Now known as AT&T.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is SBC?

What is google.com?

OK,  i googled it.

why is the Southern Baptish Church shaking him down?  

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is SBC?

What is google.com?

OK,  i googled it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is SBC?

What is google.com?

OK,  i googled it.

I know we all say it, but I actually choked on my coffee just now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is SBC?

What is google.com?

OK,  i googled it.

LOL!  

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is SBC?

What is google.com?

OK,  i googled it.

Is this the evil religous right we keep hearing about?  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is SBC?

When they choose to provide that service.

Switch to a competing provider and see how long till they "accidently" re-wire the demark box wrong and you don't have phone for 2 weeks.

Fortunately, the FCC is very willing to help out custoemrs in binds like that.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is SBC?

When they choose to provide that service.

Switch to a competing provider and see how long till they "accidently" re-wire the demark box wrong and you don't have phone for 2 weeks.

Fortunately, the FCC is very willing to help out custoemrs in binds like that.  

SBC isn't the only local service provider that has been known to do that. I've seen Verizon do it many times.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is SBC?

What is google.com?

OK,  i googled it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

SBC isn't the only local service provider that has been known to do that. I've seen Verizon do it many times.

I've never dealt with Verizon, but I can imagine.

I did get to mess with their contractors trenching for FiOs in my buddies neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Or you tell them to screw off and cease contact.. You won't hear from them agian and 7 years it will get written off.

But I have always paid cash for what I own. I majorly screwed my credit when I was 17 with cell phones, and the rate to turn it around would take years, so I said screw it!

Money talks...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had an outstanding (disputed) debt with SBC. I don't care to go into details (public forum after all), but it did appear on my credit report as a collection. These have a nasty tendency to kill your credit, as I'm sure you're well aware. My anger ran so deep over this, that I flatly refused to pay it. Ever.

The problem is, I really can't afford to have my credit screwed up over this. So, here's what I did:

1. As far as I'm concerned, if they have the power to add something to my credit report, they have the power to remove it. Turns out I'm right.
3. I negotiated payment contigent on recieving confirmation IN WRITING that the debt would be REMOVED from my report (all three agencies), not simply shown as paid.
5. They got paid.
6. Today, I pulled my report and it has completely vanished from my credit report. It's like it was never there.

I'm pissed over having to pay it to begin with, but sometimes you've got to lose a battle to win the war. Paying them was cheaper than higher interest rates, or an attorney.

Sounds like you may have just read "Life or Debt".  That sounds almost word for word out of one of the sections of that book.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sounds like you may have just read "Life or Debt".  That sounds almost word for word out of one of the sections of that book.

Nope.

I think I heard Tom Martino (sic?) mention the practice once on his radio show a couple years ago. As I recall, he said "despite what they tell you, the practice is common". Maybe it was Bruce Williams that said it. Fuck, if I remember.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is SBC?

What is google.com?

OK,  i googled it.

He kept using their product without paying.

.... you know, going to Sunday services without putting anything into the basket.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
That is the way to do it.

Pay for deletion.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

5. They got paid.

Check back in 3 months, and don't be surprised if it has magically reappeared.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Tagged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top