Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2001 7:04:14 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone had any good/bad dealings with them. I had ordered 3000 rnds of South African .223 on Wednesday of last week, expecting to receive them late this week. I plainly asked the lady on the phone if they had plenty in stock and they told me yes. Instead of getting the ammo, I get a phone call saying that they're out and if I wanted them to cancel my order! WTF? Do they not take them out of the computer when they're sold or what? I bet they'll probably be more expensive when they suddenly come back in stock...

any comments?
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If its the same Classic Arms that does all the Gun Shows (Nashville TN area)  they are a pretty big outfit....

....that sells alot of crap.

I actually believe that they are a large Pawn shop that's migrated into the gun business.

If they are the same (Chattanooga based I believe)I wouldn't be surprised if they crapped out on your order.  They've never appeared to really have their stuff together.

That is unless you want to buy 50 bolt action training rifles from some former sov. block republic who used them for training back in 1936. (only $39.95 each!)
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had good dealings with them on ammo.  It was 7.62x39 Wolf I believe.  I guess it went fine and I received it quickly.

However, I did order an SKS synthetic stock from them, but they sent the AK-47 stock.  I ended up eating the return shipping on the AK stock.  It was their mistake because the invoice clearly said "SKS" on it.  I didn't press the issue over the $7 I lost returning the stock.  However it did blow the deal because I only bought it from them due to them having the lowest price on it.

I think they suffer from a lack of quality customer service like so many other outfits out their.  I was once proud to see them display the Christian message on their main page but that lady on the phone doesn't particlularly display a Christian attitude.

Sorry to ramble on, but bottom line is I feel like if it is their mistake they should bend over backwards to fix it.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Always been happy with purchases from Classic Arms out of NC.  Only bought accessories (mags, parts, etc.) never any ammo.  I'd do business with them again.  My .02.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#4]
xanadu,you are talking about Classic Pawn.Its a different outfit than Classic Arms.Classic Pawn has two stores in the Chattanooga area,and they work gun shows in the south east.They are good people to do business with.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#5]
If you guys are talking about Classic Arms that advertises in the Shotgun News, then I have nothing but good things to say about them.  I bought several M-11 9mm's and a couple of cases of .308 from them.  The deals went totally smooth and in a timely matter.

As for the Classic Pawn Shop someone else mentioned, I can't say, because I have never dealt with them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your feedback. Maybe it was just an isolated incident, I don't know. I just didn't like the way they handled it. I'll probably give them another shot and see how it works out. Anyone know where there is a good deal on some bulk .223. I've been very happy with the PNP and Winchester that I have, there just seems to be a slight shortage. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#7]
If the one you're dealing with is classicarms.org, then it is near Charlotte, NC.  I've been in their store four times, and the phone rang non-stop.  The poor woman taking orders was working very hard without any help.  I don't think I could be a polite employee under those circumstances.  About their inventory, they don't remove ammo they sell inside their store from their mail order system until the end of the day.  The last time I went, it looked like they had about (wild guess) 20K of ammo upfront.  So if they sold that, or if someone showed-up in the store that asked for something they had in the back, they could end-up short.  I'm sure it's a great convenience for them to be able to share the inventory between the brick and mortar store and the mail order store, but problems like this can happen.  Short of them being simply dishonest, that's my guess as to what could have happened.

My problem with them is that I drove a friend two hours (with traffic) each way to go to their store to buy an Egyptian AK, a Turk Mauser, and 1K of 7.62x39.  Over the phone, they quoted $170 for the AK, $30 for the Mauser, and $70 for the ammo.  The AK was new and the Mauser was in bad condition, except with a good bore.  My friend filled-out the paperwork, and then when he went to pay, they wouldn't sell the ammo for $70.  They wanted $125 for it.  The guy behind the counter (Richard?) said that we got such a good deal on the two rifles, he couldn't give us the ammo for such a cheap price.  So, my friend offered him $90 for the ammo (so he wouldn't have to go to the hassle of ordering it and waiting on it), and they still turned it down.  So, when we got home, my friend called them on the phone and ordered the ammo for $70 + shipping.  What a hassle.

After we got the AK home, we noticed that we couldn't insert a magazine.  The AK was a MAADI-10, which uses only single stack magazines.  The had crudely filed-out the bottom of the receiver.  They didn't file-out the bottom receiver rail.  I should have noticed this problem, but I was busy trying to choose between a dozen Mausers.  So, I ended-up spending several hours filing hardened steel.  I don't know if I'm more annoyed by the fact that they would try this in the first place, or by the fact that they didn't even test their work by trying to insert a mag after they finished!  Apparently, I'm more tolerant of dishonesty than I am stupidity.  After I finished, it works perfectly now, but I don't know if the rifle is legal according to 922(r).  It contains no US made parts.  It was imported as a single-stack with a thumbhole stock so that it wouldn't have to.  Now that it will work with double-stack mags, it might be illegal.

I'd buy from them again, but only because there isn't anywhere else I know of within a two hour drive where I can look at a large selection of C&R guns.  I'm was a little annoyed that they reneged on the ammo price.  Also, I'd look over any rifle I was considering very carefully.  BTW, here is another thread about them [url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=40224[/url].z
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have always been a very happy customer of theirs.  They have great prices somethimes.  One time I had to return something and it was no problem.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thumbs Down to Classic Arms

Ordered a case of ammo 2 1/2 weeks ago. They said over the phone that it was in stock. Waited for 10 days (Bugging the hell out of the UPS man) and it never showed up. Called back to check on the order. She said yes it was in stock and it should have gone out. Again waited for a week. Called again. Got somebody else who said that they were waiting for a shipment to come in. They never had what they were selling!

Well i canceled and ordered from the Ammoman.com

He also said he had it in stock. I'll let ya know what happens....

I would not be upset if they told the truth or even tried to contact me to explain.

Link Posted: 10/6/2001 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry..my mistake, Classic Pawn is the Chattanooga folks, they can be real dicks at the shows, getting a price on any of the 100's of guns they display is interesting.  However I've bought 2 OLY lowers from them in the past. Just have to [i]want[/i] to do business with them.

Never dealt with Classic Arms. From the posts it seems that there's strong and weak points about doing business with them.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
It appears to be a husband and wife team at the gun shows. I bought some .223 from them.
They have good prices but they seem to have a bad attitude. The woman was a real, uh, well you know.
That turned me off to Classic arms. They acted like they didn't want to sell me anything. I guess that happens a lot at gun shows though.
Anyway, I have decided that I will just have to take my business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought some surplus 7.62x39 from them a couple years ago (before I knew about Ammoman).  At the same time I ordered a synthetic AK47 stock set, (2) chinese air-rifles, and a couple of Mauser bayonets.  The order came in quickly and everything was correct.  The ammo wasn't as good as a deal as I thought because they seemed to charge me alot for shipping.  

I have no reason to order from them again.  I have found other places that carry the items that I require. (Ammoman, Brownells, ect....)

OSA
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know about the company itself, but I looked at some guns at their gun show table a couple of times.  Pretty much pure junk.  But what pissed me off was the guy working the table--he's there with his wife who has 1 or 2 infants in tow (she runs the table one-handed, always holding a kid).  The guy treats her like chattel, he made some rude remarks to her while I was trying to look at some handgun or another.  I put the pistol down, turned around, and walked away.  I will never do any business with that outfit.  If the guy treats his wife like that, imagine how he treats his customers.

Your mileage may vary...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top