Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 12:06:18 PM EDT
This is a bleed-over from the Ham Radio forum. A recurring topic in antenna mounting is removable mounts vs 3/4" holes drilled in the top or trunk lid. (assume professional quality installation)

When you're evaluating a used car, does an antenna mount or a plugged antenna mount hole in the top or trunk make any difference to the overall value of the car? How much does the age/make of the car affect this change in value?

Specifically, I'm thinking of a trunk mount and/or roof mount on an average condition 07 silver Towncar. If make/model changes the numbers, can you compare the change in value to a 2010 Acura RL or BMW 535?

Thanks,

Bill

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Any non factory holes affect the value no matter how old the vehicle in my opinion. Now how many bad holes and location affects if I would mess with it at all.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It affects the value for sure.  On an 07 town car. I'm thinking taxi.  High hrs on engine etc
On crown Vic = cop car
On Tahoe SUV. = commercial use
On Acura I'm thinking why?

Consider that the radio was installed and removed.  They tapped into your wiring system. Shorts etc come to mind.
Rust and water in the trunk or headliner come to mind for antenna mounts and holes
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I may take a value hit on this antenna on my GMC 1500, but IMHO it's a reasonably clean installation.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to make sure its obvious, I'm asking this in the context of drilling the holes and mounting Ham antennas on my own car, and how much that would affect its value when/if I sell it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top