Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 10:16:37 PM EDT
How real is the science in this movie?

And I find this all the more reason to takeover all of the southern part of the world now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

And I find this all the more reason to takeover all of the southern part of the world now.

It's real. Save yourself and head for Costa Rica. But bring some warm clothes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a legitimate theory. We know ice ages happen suddenly and we think we know what the mechanism is.

What isn't at all clear is whether (weather?) we're in any danger or if mans actions can prevent it if we are.

At the beginning of the movie they were talking about the possibility of it happening in a few decades, and the changes taking some time to take place, that's defensible.

There isn't going to be an ice age next week.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's a legitimate theory. We know ice ages happen suddenly and we think we know what the mechanism is.

What isn't at all clear is whether (weather?) we're in any danger or if mans actions can prevent it if we are.

At the beginning of the movie they were talking about the possibility of it happening in a few decades, and the changes taking some time to take place, that's defensible.

There isn't going to be an ice age next week.

There will be one if Bush takes Massachussetts.

CW
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The Earth's climate is cyclical, fact.  The Earth will have another ice age.

Whether we affect it or not is open to debate.

Global warming causing another ice age may seem counter intuitive but it makes a lot of sense.  The way it would affect the deep ocean circulation as mentioned in the film.

The super cold hurricanes were complete BS, hurricanes happen because there is to much heat in the ocean's surface waters.  A storm has to have energy, heat is energy.

This could not happen in the time frame portrayed in the movie.  Heat is energy, it has to go somewhere, radiate in to space or whatever.  For one gram (about one ml) of water to lower one degree C one calory of energy has to be removed from it, that energy has to go somewhere.  For the Gulf Stream/ North Atlantic current to drop 13 degrees, (how many ml of water is that??? you do the math) that energy would have to go somewhere.  Where???

I'm not a professional climatologist, just a half assed marine scientist.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
It's pretty much all BS. Super cooled air doesn't flash freeze everything in a few seconds inside your house, if it did, the pilots of Space Ship One would have returned to earth frozen solid. And I am pretty sure that if a giant tidal wave hit New York, the statue of liberty wouldn't still be standing. Tornados don't happen here in LA because the LA "Basin" or "bowl" prevents large air masses from moving freely like they do in the flat Midwest. We have the occasional waterspout over the ocean, but they die as soon as they hit land. The surrounding mountains act like giant windbreaks, massive air currents have no where to go once they hit the surrounding 8-10k tall mountains.

Even the quickest ice ages occurred over hundreds of years. Most take thousands of years. And the fact that they have happened thousands of times before for millions of years without the help of man only proves that if there is one coming, there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

During the present ice age, glaciers have advanced and retreated over 20 times, often blanketing North America with ice. Our climate today is actually a warm interval between these many periods of glaciation. The most recent period of glaciation, which many people think of as the "Ice Age", was at its height approximately 20,000 years ago.

The movie is heavy in propaganda that pushes the Kyoto Treaty and a false sense of urgency. The Kyoto treaty is pure crap. It only applies to the first world. While Europe and the US are moving towards alternate fuels, countries like China and India are quickly becoming the world’s largest consumers of oil and natural gas. This will nullify any gains at reducing green house gases while throwing our respective economies into the dumper.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Next question:

Was the President and VP a Republican or Democrat?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
IT IS A MOVIE

Watch it for entertainment......
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's pretty much all BS. Super cooled air doesn't flash freeze everything in a few seconds inside your house, if it did, the pilots of Space Ship One would have returned to earth frozen solid.

Yeah, but they had space blankets.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe the Ice age was only 10 degrees colder on average than current temperatures....So there will not be any "running from frost" or instantaneous freezing....

...the whole movie was raw bullshit with the weakest plot since the hulk
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Watch it for entertainment......

If you're watching DAT for entertainment, you're one hell of a masochistic bastard.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody who takes that movie seriously needs a "check-up from the neck up"!

Heres the book it was based on:The Comeing Global Superstorm

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Even the quickest ice ages occurred over hundreds of years. Most take thousands of years. And the fact that they have happened thousands of times before for millions of years without the help of man only proves that if there is one coming, there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

On the contrary, there are several things that could be done.

Reason Magazine: Climate Controls, by Gregory Benford
... for a number of reasons that I will discuss below, now is precisely the time to take seriously the concept of "geoengineering," of consciously altering atmospheric chemistry and conditions, of mitigating the effects of greenhouse gases rather than simply calling for their reduction or outright prohibition. While such a notion may seem outlandish at first blush, it merely acknowledges explicitly what everyone already understands: that human activity has an impact on the planet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
About as likely as the Earths core rotation being stopped by a secret government weapon and then saved by a ship full of H bombs that goes to the core and restarts it, I guess.

Tj

I loved that movie!  It was so brainless, it was awesome!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#17]
It's absolutely true! It's happening right now! Outside, the trees are freezing! Wait! It's happening here now ! OH MY GO
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+

When did basic common sense leave us?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+

Sgtar15

Not all of the science in the movie was false.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#21]
When I watch this movie, I think about it as smilarly as watching a Ronin meets Godzilla, or Invaders from Mars, ET, etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You're absolutely right.

Water DOES freeze when it gets too cold.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Next question:

Was the President and VP a Republican or Democrat?

The president was a democrat because he cared about the people, listened to junk science, and gave his life waiting to evacuate from the capital.

The vice-president was a Republican because he didn't care about people, wanted real proof, and waited too long to do anything about it.

Is it me, or did the Pres, look like Al Gore and the VP look like Cheney?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#25]
It was an ok movie
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Is it me, or did the Pres, look like Al Gore and the VP look like Cheney?

Nope. I said exactly the same thing in the other thread when I posted a short review.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+

Sgtar15

Did you sleep through science class?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I believe the Ice age was only 10 degrees colder on average than current temperatures....So there will not be any "running from frost" or instantaneous freezing....

Yay! bring it on. 10 degrees cooler on average would rock as I see it. 105 F in the summer to a high of  95, lows are seldom bad here for long so I could live with the flip side as well. I might even get to wear a coat and long sleeves!

The problem I have with most climatalogical models is their inability to be run in reverse. Usually when this occurs the model does not follow the known climatalogical data. If the model is accurate, it should regress in line with known values.

96Ag
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#29]
the earth's magnetic field shifts more often than you think.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#30]
That was absolutely the dumbest most brain dead movie I have seen in years. The people who produced this should be embarrassed beyond belief. I do like escapism but that was brainless to the point of being insulting. Science fiction should at least be based ons some kind of factual science. MO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+

Sgtar15

Did you sleep through science class?

No science was my favorite class. Like I said not all of it was false, they said the temp would drop and the water would freeze. For the most part this is right, but I think that in some cases you can bring water   to a low temp without it freezing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#32]
If this movie is real or based on fact, then John Kerry is a right-wing, gun-lovin republican.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If this movie is real or based on fact, then John Kerry is a right-wing, gun-lovin republican.

He does love guns!

Remember him and his ol' trusty 12 guage.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh, there we hints of truth artfully concealed.  They mentioned a number of times that his "model" for this type of weather scenario was based on signficant climatological events that had occurred in the distant past. So, acording to the movie it had happened before - multiple times - without the assistance of internal combustion engines and freon.  The mentioned the mammoth that got frozen and then found.  I think that was true, but it does not mean it was flash frozen.  It was a goofy movie.  The computer generated wolves were very poorly done along with a lot of the rest.  I borrowed it from someone else, and I'm sure glad I didn't pay to see it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top