Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/27/2003 8:17:52 AM EDT
My town is in the process of completing a new shooting range, but in the meantime there are a few dozen unofficial ranges in the hills.  I took the 26th off and went to one of these places with a 10/22 and a 22/45.  I am plinking away at some spinner targets when four other trucks pull up.  Out pours 9-10 people, including some teenage kids and some even younger.  The grade school kids immediately pull out their paint guns and start shooting everywhere.  Another kid pulls out a 22 snubby revolver and starts blazing away.  I'm trying to keep an eye on them, and stop when a couple of them run up range to put up some targets.  They have a piece of plywood, but forgot the pie plates and any markers.  So they mark the center of the target with a cople paint pellets.  While they are up there, I move my targets down range so their kids can't hit them with the paint balls anymore.

So out comes junior's new Remington 22.  He starts shooting at the plywoood, but they can't see where they are hitting.  Not even with the high powered 4x scope.  So dad goes down to the target and stands about four feet to the left of it.  Then he tells junior to go ahead and fire!  Junior shoots a few times and then dad tells junior that he is shooting about 3 feet to the right.  Good thing junior was not shooing 4 feet to the left!

I grabbed my targets during a break in the action and got the hell out of there.

Heaven help us.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:19:46 AM EDT
That's exactly what I would do.  

Leave.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:20:55 AM EDT
LoL>. Man, it takes all kinds, jus be checking the local news or paper to hear bout some 'tards that "accidentally" shot themselves. I bet itll be them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:22:15 AM EDT
Every now and again it's good to be reminded of what I pay my range membership fees for. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:23:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By imposter:
So dad goes down to the target and stands about four feet to the left of it.  Then he tells junior to go ahead and fire!
View Quote

Some people have NO common sense.

I grabbed my targets during a break in the action and got the hell out of there.
View Quote

However, you do.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:35:20 AM EDT
shit like that scares the hell out of me. I hate ranges too.  I prefer private property and shooting with people I know.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:40:04 AM EDT
My town is in the process of completing a new shooting range, but in the meantime there are a few dozen unofficial ranges in the hills.  I took the 26th off and went to one of these places with a 10/22 and a 22/45.  I am plinking away at some spinner targets when four other trucks pull up.  Out pours 9-10 people, including some teenage kids and some even younger.  The grade school kids immediately pull out their paint guns and start shooting everywhere.  Another kid pulls out a 22 snubby revolver and starts blazing away.  I'm trying to keep an eye on them, and stop when a couple of them run up range to put up some targets.  They have a piece of plywood, but forgot the pie plates and any markers.  So they mark the center of the target with a cople paint pellets.  While they are up there, I move my targets down range so their kids can't hit them with the paint balls anymore.

So out comes junior's new Remington 22.  He starts shooting at the plywoood, but they can't see where they are hitting.  Not even with the high powered 4x scope. [red] So dad goes down to the target and stands about four feet to the left of it.  Then he tells junior to go ahead and fire!  Junior shoots a few times and then dad tells junior that he is shooting about 3 feet to the right. [/red] Good thing junior was not shooing 4 feet to the left!

Heaven help us.
View Quote

He's doing it for the children. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:54:50 AM EDT
You should have asked dad to stand next to your target while you bump-fired a 30 round mag off...

So dad goes down to the target and stands about four feet to the left of it.  Then he tells junior to go ahead and fire!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:03:17 PM EDT
You should have offered Dad an apple to put on top of his head.

The idiocy at public ranges can be depressing.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:19:02 PM EDT
I'd trade some idiocy for a public (state or county park) range or two... We don't have any around here...
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:09:55 PM EDT
As a fellow Utarn, I'd be interested to know where this range is.

Also, I'm not sure I would have left.  Stopped shooting - sure.  But then maybe I would have gone to the car, put away the guns and got the video camera.

Just stand behind everyone and maybe you could get a video you can sell to America's Funniest Home Videos for $100.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:28:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HillBillySasquatch:
shit like that scares the hell out of me. I hate ranges too.  I prefer private property and shooting with people I know.

-HS
View Quote

Ditto, and basically why I hardly go anywhere anymore. Not only are they in restaurants, movie theaters & sporting events, now they are at shooting ranges? Damn shame... [pissed]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:36:39 PM EDT
I wasn't at a range but I was in a area that is shot at alot. These kids show up (not that I am that much older but they acted like kids)

Anyways they were nice enough but didn't know shit about guns.

First they start shooting some .22 pistol and a .38 then I see the kid pull out this nice M-1A or maybe a M-14 anyways I watch him aim at a can about 300yards away, the can is below the berm. He shoots about 10rds and my buddy says "look at that"

the first round hit the very top of the berm the rest were way high, I told the kid "keep your shots on the berm god only knows where the heck a .308 will end up" He wasn't even using the rear peep thats why the shots were high!

I was watching the news that night praying no one got nailed by a FMJ 762NATO.

I showed him you got to use the peep or else its going to shoot high.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:39:02 PM EDT
Top Top