Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/26/2004 1:58:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:09:26 PM EST
Very cool. Gun control isn't an issue in WA right now, but we have some strong candidates running.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:35:55 PM EST
I got a great response letter from Vitter a few months ago regarding the AWB. Obviously, he's strongly opposed to it.

FYI, in Louisiana all the candidates run on the same ballot on Nov. 2 (in other words there's no primary). If no candidate gets above 50%, they have a runoff between #1 and #2. Vitter will clearly be #1, and he's inching ever close to that magic 50% mark (was 47% in recent weeks, 49% in poll released today or yesterday). The Democrat candidates polling 2nd and 3rd (Chris John and John Kennedy) have both stated that they oppose the AWB, though Kennedy had some qualifiers in his answer (something like, "I would have voted against the AWB, but I hope we can work out a compromise"). A gun-hating liberal Democrat is polling a far distant 4th.

So, in terms of the AWB, LA is guaranteeing a net gain of 1 vote in the Senate... if it's Vitter or John, we get a strong voice on the issue (though obviously an R would be better than a D in terms of keeping control of the Senate out of the Democrats' hands). If it's Kennedy, we're come away marginally better than John Breaux, the outgoing Senator who gleefully sold his AWB vote (after indicating in his response letters that he did not support the ban) to Democrat leadership in exchange for a position in a potential Kerry administration, or for future favors when he becomes a lobbyist. Bastard.

--Mike
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:05:11 PM EST
Top Top