Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/28/2003 4:05:27 PM EDT
Did anyone see his tricks on TV? They were mostly card tricks but still pretty amazing. The weirdest part is where he levitates in front of strangers on the street. I cant tell how he's doing it. Anyone else see this?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:13:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 4:13:47 PM EDT by SGTIMAK]
I've seen it before. I always thought that it was bunk because they didn't show his whole body when he did it.  But oonce or twice tonight, they did.  So, I really have no idea.

I did see an advertisement for a video that claims to teach "street magic", including the levitation thing on TV earlier today.

My favorite one is where he bites a piece of a quarter off.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 4:42:06 PM EDT by hanau]
how he does it!
[url]http://www.aboutmagictricks.com/David-Blaine-Levitation-Secret.html[/url]

they all so had a show that told how they did all the tricks it used to come on fox.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:43:16 PM EDT
Camera tricks. All his shit is just a con. If he ever walks up to me on the street with that bullshit, I'm just goonna suckerpunch him a la Houdini.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:05:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 5:24:09 PM EDT by SGTIMAK]
Originally Posted By raven:
...I'm just goonna suckerpunch him a la Houdini.
View Quote

[lol] Amazing that someone known for "endurance feats" was taken out by a fist to the gut.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:16:38 PM EDT
Houdini had a bad appendix when he took that punch. And died later that night. On Holloween no less.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:18:54 PM EDT
I read that the guy hit him before he was ready. Taking him by complete surprise.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:45:11 PM EDT
None of that crap is done live.  All the instances where he guesses the wrong card or the mark isn't fooled are edited out.

It's clever stuff and takes skill, but David Blaine doesn't have any special magic powers.  He maybe has a bigger ego and stronger willpower than most people though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:58:31 PM EDT
He may not have "special powers", but he is very, very good from a technical point of view.  I dabbled with magic for a while (it screams "GEEK!", yeah, I know), and I know how he did most of his tricks.

He is highly skilled the in art.  Although I don't much care for the way he talks like a drunk street hood, he is probably one of the top 5 magicians in the world, skill-wise.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:10:49 PM EDT
there is no "trick" to any of his tricks. all his slight of hand tricks (cards and coins, etc) are available through any decent magic shop for $20 bucks or less. as far as levitation, it looks VERY real if your standing about 4 feet away or less but get ten feet or so you see it very clearly for the hoax it is. all slight of hand tricks are believable if your the subject but the bystanders are all in on the joke by the end, and are usually sworn to SECRECY by a lame call on your sympathy. do some investigation on the net you can see all the answers, as a amateur magician myself i usually will show alot of tricks for fun, the real fun is showing someone haow they were fooled not trying to make them believe you are MAGIC. please!  anyway this why i won't make millions a year doing illusions
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:17:37 PM EDT
I saw a show on TV once where they showed how the levitation bit was pulled off. I tried this trick out in front of my mom and it totally freaked her out. She was blown away the first time but the second time I did it she figured me out. Her first reaction was priceless though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:14:48 AM EDT
The suicide pact must go on as planned...twaaaaaaa.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:21:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:36:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Well???

How does the levitation trick work?
View Quote

It's called Baducci Levitation.  There's two points to the trick.
1. You catch the audience by surprise.  You don't tell them you are about to levitate.
2. The angle between you and the audience is essential.  Notice you can see the heels rising, yet you can't see the front of his feet.  
Practice in front of a mirror and you should have no trouble figuring it out.

I did this once in a meeting when I needed to reach the top of the whiteboard.  The meeting ended and we went to lunch early that day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:43:01 AM EDT
The guy has skills.  If it was so easy to do what he does, why aren't you all out there making the millions & fucking the supermodels (and Darryl Hannah too I believe)?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:58:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lumpy223:
I saw a show on TV once where they showed how the levitation bit was pulled off. I tried this trick out in front of my mom and it totally freaked her out. She was blown away the first time but the second time I did it she figured me out. Her first reaction was priceless though.
View Quote

that is where you messed up. david blaine(all magicians that are any good) will only do a trick once per person. if you do it a second time then people know what is coming and then they start looking at how it is done instead of just watching it happen. never do the same trick twice!!!

the levitation thing is done by being at the right angle from the people watching and raising up on your toes.  when you see his whole body actually lifting off of the ground is filmed at a different time than the peoples reactions. it is filmed where all you can see is the same color clothing(put on a person in on the trick) and blaine is actually being lifted with a winch. he does the close in trick, films their reaction, then films himself being lifted with the winch and adds their reaction after that. it is more of a camera trick than a magic trick. he usually doesn't pick the smartest people in the world to show his tricks to also.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:05:32 AM EDT
"I speak to dead people"and"I can levitate myself"and"I can read your mind"and other "paranormal activities are designed to dupe the un-wary and line the pockets of charlatans.So there.Illusions are cool though.Stagecraft at its finest.But do not take it religiously.Kind of like..."It's for the children"and all that other commie party bullshit the DU pushes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:13:55 AM EDT
He has no secrets, it's the aliens that are making him levitate.
Top Top