Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 4:28:13 PM EST
Know this has been brought up before, but just saw a rerun of one of his street magic episodes.

Now obviously, not really being much of a magician, I'm pretty impressed.

But I've heard various comments (here included), that what he does isn't all that impressive.

So if he's not, could somebody explain some of his tricks (magicians code be damned!).

In fact, I've heard his levitation trick can be easily explained, but haven't heard a decent explanation.

So am I the only one impressed? And if you're not, please explain.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:30:05 PM EST
hes a decent magician..BUT the camera guys are all in on it, and he has an accomplice behind the camera too.

He makes a good TV show...thats bout it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:32:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 4:40:06 PM EST by OneRobertFour]
Actually, he SUCKS. Much of his trickery is 'Magic 101', real easy to figure out. A lot of it is set up before hand with BS "participants".
As far as his camera guys, gaspain is right, they're all in on it. Several years ago I was partying in Niagara Falls at some nightclub when we ended up striking a conversation with the camera crew for David Copperfield. We had heard that Dave was a real asshole and relied heavily on camera tricks, so we got wise real fast and started buying these guys drinks big time. Didn't take too long before they started spilling the beans on Dave and revealed every one of their inside tricks, all the dirt on what they were sworn to secrecy on. Anyways, Blaine's stuff doesn't even rate.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:32:59 PM EST
Anybody catch the "Blainetology" South Park episode? One of my favorites. Great spoof illustrating how rabid some of his admirers are.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:34:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:37:24 PM EST
There was a show on A&E (I think) where they had a majician showing how Blaine pulls off his tricks. His camrea guy(s) help him out alot.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:51:59 PM EST
Ya, some of his stuff I had figured out. And some of it was pretty obvious that their were other actors involved (pretty easy to see).

But still, some of it, whether it is magic 101, is fairly impressive. Even with the editing.

Whether a hack or not, it does make for good tv.

Though it does amaze me at how much just the mere mention of his name gets people riled up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:55:28 PM EST
As far as TV goes, he's great.

Seeing as that's all I know, that's all I can say...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:59:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By OneRobertFour:
Actually, he SUCKS. Much of his trickery is 'Magic 101', real easy to figure out. A lot of it is set up before hand with BS "participants".
As far as his camera guys, gaspain is right, they're all in on it. Several years ago I was partying in Niagara Falls at some nightclub when we ended up striking a conversation with the camera crew for David Copperfield. We had heard that Dave was a real asshole and relied heavily on camera tricks, so we got wise real fast and started buying these guys drinks big time. Didn't take too long before they started spilling the beans on Dave and revealed every one of their inside tricks, all the dirt on what they were sworn to secrecy on. Anyways, Blaine's stuff doesn't even rate.

As someone who's seen David Copperfield live and in person, in a small venue, with a clear, elevated view of the stage, that he's got more going than camera tricks. Amazed the heck outta me!

--Josh
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:06:53 PM EST
His levitation stuff is fake - shots from different angles are shot at different times then merged.

As far has his sleight of hand stuff - card tricks, etc. - he's technically very skilled. I've seen a bunch of his stuff on TV and know exactly how the trick works, but still had a hard time seeing him do it. He's very slick and well practiced in that regard.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:19:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 5:19:32 PM EST by IamtheNRA]
Blaine's so-called "levitation" is bullshit...
Top Top