Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2013 8:20:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:21:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2013 8:21:23 AM EDT by California_Kid]
Where's his 'coonskin cap?

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:23:31 AM EDT
Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:28:55 AM EDT
I would've been terrified. I am glad he made it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:31:47 AM EDT
What was the name of the old coot who lived on the lake up there?

I want to say Harry Truman (no, seriously).

I remember the interviews and he basically stated "bring it" when it came to the volcano.

I was visiting friends in Portland, OR. and they dug down in their garden to show me the ash layer from the eruption.  It was distinct.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:45:33 AM EDT
Back in the early '80's, I and my roommate made two attempts on the top and two attempts to reach the dome inside the crater (four trips total).

We made the 2nd attempt to the top and made it to the top again on the first attempt to get to the dome trying to get around a huge melted glacier canyon on the SW side.  Never did make it to the dome though.  On the second attempt on the dome (4th trip total) we walked over 15 miles and then just about ran out of water.  All water had to be pretty much carried in due to Legionnaire's Disease.

When we the first attempt on the top, there were little signs at the bottom stating that it was illegal to be on the mountain.  When we came down, there were huge signs, stating that not only was it illegal, but what type (1st class misdemeanor I think) and the potential fine.  Oh well.  Some time in the late '80's they lifted the restrictions but we never climbed it again, it was a bitch.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:46:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:
What was the name of the old coot who lived on the lake up there?

I want to say Harry Truman (no, seriously).

I remember the interviews and he basically stated "bring it" when it came to the volcano.

I was visiting friends in Portland, OR. and they dug down in their garden to show me the ash layer from the eruption.  It was distinct.

Yes his name was Harry Truman and he died because he refused to leave.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:01:18 AM EDT
Wow, I was 15 and remember seeing his video describing breathing in the ash, but I've never seen the entire video before now and always assumed he died.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:08:39 PM EDT
I've lived about 25 miles south of the mountain my whole life, although I came around about 8 years later. It's a sight to behold, the devastation is still stunning. Last Labor Day weekend we ventured up the Windy Ridge/Spirit Lake side and then to the Johnston Ridge side.

Me on some driftwood on Spirit Lake

From Johnston Ridge.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:09:48 PM EDT
Hard to believe it was that long ago.  Lived in the Black Diamond area, at the time.
Top Top