Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 7:12:16 AM EDT
I didn't play Demons Souls so I was no prepared for the ass beating.  

I'm barely into this game, just made it to the bridge with the dragon after getting ass fucked by the Taurus Demon over and over and over and over.   I'm going to go back to the area where the crow drops you off to explore a bit more, I think I missed a few places and people to buy stuff from

I love this game.    Death comes quick but oddly enough it seems fair, not cheap

Any tips for a new player?    

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Take your time and prepare for each area before rushing in.
The best starting advice I can give revolves around getting the Drake's Sword early so here you go.

While you are in Undeadberg (the starting castle-like area) stop by the merchant and purchase a short bow and a bunch of arrows, like hundreds. Go back to the bridge with the red wyvern and run past the undead guys to go dead the steps to the right. Go down and to the left and kick the ladder down so you can have a shortcut to Undeadberg. Then step back into the under part of the bridge and shoot arrows at the wyverns tail until it falls off. This can take a shit load of arrows if your Dex is low but it can be done. Do not give up, the Drake's Sword with be the best weapon you will find for a long way into the game.

Once you get past  blight town you might want to start looking for another weapon at that point.

If your on PS3 add ShredGuitar and I can jump in through summonings and help you with bosses.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I played demon souls a couple of months ago so I feel your pain.  Starting out will require some strategy.  I first chose a useless class and it was all discouraging.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That game... ahhh. Yeah definitly get the drake sword.

Drink a beer, have fun dying.

You will most likely play through that game more than once, it is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a Thief build and first tried to dual wield daggers and got my ass handed to me regularly.

Estoc (as high as you can get it) + shield + ability to fast roll = hard to get beaten
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Dark Souls is way harder than Demon Souls.

Having played Demon Souls it helped, but wasn't enough to be "good" in Dark Souls.

Taurus Demon on the bridge:  As soon as you come out of the white into the fight with him, run down the little stairs and turn right.  There's a ladder that goes up on the tower you came out of.  Use that to jump down to attack the demon.  Massive damage.

As for the rest, just play and get souls.  Level your character up and get some good armor/weapons.  The Drake sword is nice and very easy to get, just takes a lot of arrows.

Once you understand the controls you're good to go.

Just remember, block first, attack second.  Once you can parry and counter you'll be murdering everything.  

Once you're high enough, you can just run around and 2H kill everything lol, that just takes a while.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
got the drake sword, got a decent shield now I just need to find some armor that is worth a damn.    I love this game.    

I managed to not get killed at all last night even though I was up against new enemies and stronger knights, I managed to one hit kill the armored boar that is inside the castle gates where the dragon sits.  

I love the slower pace of this
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didn't play Demons Souls so I was no prepared for the ass beating.  

I'm barely into this game, just made it to the bridge with the dragon after getting ass fucked by the Taurus Demon over and over and over and over.   I'm going to go back to the area where the crow drops you off to explore a bit more, I think I missed a few places and people to buy stuff from

I love this game.    Death comes quick but oddly enough it seems fair, not cheap

Any tips for a new player?    

View Quote

I made my way down the bridge underneath and shot the dragon....ALOT!!.  Poured myself some coffee and just kept shooting.  I shoot almost everything in a souls game.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Double tap
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
rang the first bell, not sure where to go so I went below where the ghosts are.   fuck that place.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

rang the first bell, not sure where to go so I went below where the ghosts are.   fuck that place.
View Quote
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you need to start venturing higher up into the monastery now.

I loved that game. Played through the first few areas for dozens of hours leveling up. Then I got to the gargoyle fight and got my ass handed to me more times than I could count. Got discouraged and started playing some other game that came out about the same time and never went back to it.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you need to start venturing higher up into the monastery now.

I loved that game. Played through the first few areas for dozens of hours leveling up. Then I got to the gargoyle fight and got my ass handed to me more times than I could count. Got discouraged and started playing some other game that came out about the same time and never went back to it.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not know how i did it but I beat the two gargoyles very fast and without dying.  

I just sat there like

I couldn't believe that I didn't die
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I do not know how i did it but I beat the two gargoyles very fast and without dying.  

I just sat there like

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just sat there like

I wish I could say the same! I never even downed one of the pair. I don't know what it was about them that was so hard, because I didn't have near the issues with the other bosses up to that point.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wish I could say the same! I never even downed one of the pair. I don't know what it was about them that was so hard, because I didn't have near the issues with the other bosses up to that point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just sat there like

Summon the NPC knight to help you, sit back and hit them with lightning wands (or something, I forget).

The ghosts are fucking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Capra demon or whatever it is is a motherfucker,  you go through the white light and bam guy is already try to shank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top