Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 8:28:34 PM EDT
A few friends talked me into playing on their team for the intramural slow pitch softball that my school sets up. I haven't done anything competitive on a diamond since tee-ball back in the early/mid '90s when I was a little rascal.

I figured what's the worse that can happen? We lose but still have fun? (We're in the "C" league, which is the lowest there is, so this isn't too competitive. It's just for fun). Anyway, long story short, a certain leather glove containing a softball impacted by nose and primarily my upper lip at a high rate of speed as I was approaching second base fairly low to the ground. My lip is a little worse for wear, and a couple of my teeth are a little sore (they're not loose or anything). It dazed me pretty good, but I was safe so that's really all the matters, right?

I'm hoping my lip doesn't look like a balloon tomorrow. This is what I get for trying to recreate with something besides firearms (and people say those are dangerous).

What really sucks is we lost anyway.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
More people get fucked up playing softball than any other sport.

Edited to add:
there's a girl in my office that just blew out her ACL playing softball.
I had my jaw broken in two places playing softball.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Evidently your screen name is prophetic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I read the thread title and knew who the author was without looking at it.

Get well soon.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I umpire softball and so far this year I've seen:

3 broken ankles.
2 blown knees.
4 dislocated knee caps
1 blown achilles tendon
2 broken legs.
4 broken fingers
1 broken nose

I do an average of 300 games a year and as far as injuries, this was a slow year.

Edited:  Forgot, dozens of fat lips....
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

More people get fucked up playing softball than any other sport.

Edited to add:

there's a girl in my office that just blew out her ACL playing softball.

I had my jaw broken in two places playing softball.

I know 2 girls who had serious trauma while playing in HS. One had an eye socket get smashed bad enough she almost lost the eye, had to have a couple surgeries. Another girl got hit in the mouth with a ball that knocked out/broke several teeth and she had to have stitches.

Those are just a couple, know of a few more minor incidents. Softball has always been big around here for the Church's and Mills.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top