Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 1:47:19 PM EDT
Last week I woke up with  severe pain in the right side of my jaw and I still have it today.  It hurts to close my teeth together but not when I let my jaw go slack.  The pain is almost unbearable when I chew but gets better after a few minutes.  Once I stop chewing for a few minutes and let my jaw relax, the pain returns.  It hurts up to my ear.  The worst is waking up in the morning and trying to close my mouth. PAINFUL!

Anybody have this malady before?  What was it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like T.M.J.

www.tmj.org/
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you had your WISDOM teeth out yet?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Inner-ear infection?

I've had one and my ear didn't really hurt but my jaw did
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Last week I woke up with  severe pain in the right side of my jaw and I still have it today.  It hurts to close my teeth together but not when I let my jaw go slack.  The pain is almost unbearable when I chew but gets better after a few minutes.  Once I stop chewing for a few minutes and let my jaw relax, the pain returns.  It hurts up to my ear.  The worst is waking up in the morning and trying to close my mouth. PAINFUL!

Anybody have this malady before?  What was it?

TMJ?  Root canal time?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone hit you when you were asleep?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
TMJ   Apply moist heat, soft foods and get a mouth guard if you grind your teeth at night.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had that happen several times over the last ten years.  The severe pain usually goes away after 2-3 weeks.  Even when the severe pain is gone, I have CONSTANT headaches to the point where it's just something I have learned to live with.  The pain is usually concentrated on my left temple, but it's definately caused by my jaw.

Just learn to live with it.  I haven't been able to find a doctor or dentist who has been able to get rid of the pain for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top