Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2017 6:32:14 PM EDT
We built a new barn with a concrete floor to store the tractors, combine, and grain hauling trucks in.  I've placed 6 of the 5 gallon bucket type traps in there but am still having problems.  Last year was $7,000.00 for the combine and this year over $9,000.00 on the Challenger.  Chewed up wires requiring full replacement.

No corn or beans stored in the barn, just equipment.

Thinking about getting some barn cats, but that has its own problems like getting Chewed up by the fan/belts/ etc when it's cold.  Plus the neighbors dogs kill cats with extreme prejudice.

What do you do, or is this a "deal with it, comes with the territory" thing?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Put out lots of poison for the mice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Rat Terrier, Mini Aussie. Rodent murder machines.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Rat bait in bait boxes.  Check them weekly and refill them as needed.  A large population of rats will devour a bucket of bait, but you will start seeing results within a couple of days.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you say... MICE?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So are miniature pincshers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The answer can be found in your username.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't have your own dog, just use a bunch of poison.  This stuff isn't hard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Put out lots of poison for the mice.
View Quote

Havehad  that out as well.

Got 15 mice in 2 days with the bucket traps even though the poison had been set out for weeks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
FPNI

Early and often
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy the black boxes and fill them with poison and keep them full, you will never have a problem again.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]
No quarter. cats, poison, bucket traps whatever it takes. That spray foam with the repellent has worked well for my shop to keep them out. Snakes? Get some of those too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

My farm is not on the same property as my house.  Do not want a dog left to run unsupervised.  They are awesome critter killers, though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Just one bite poison.  It takes 4 days to kill after they eat. Best stuff I've ever used.

Be advised, it does kill downstream, so make sure to get rid of the dead bodies.  I haven't had a possum, coon, or fox near the chicken coop for years because they ate the dead/dying mice and rats, so that was a win as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

LOL at the picture.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to a poultry supplier and get poison. Around here they come in small packets in a 5 gallon bucket. Just start tossing the packets (no need to open them) all over. If you have hundreds, you'll have hundreds of dead ones.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Bait pellets with small rare earth magnets.

They will get stuck to anything made of steel.
And all you do is pluck them off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Use bait. I don't remember what I use, but the mice get thirsty and leave the barn to find water, dying on the way
A boat and 2 vehicles have never been damaged in the 10 years I've been storing them there
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Barn cats are self sustaining rodent killing machines.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We built a new barn with a concrete floor to store the tractors, combine, and grain hauling trucks in.  I've placed 6 of the 5 gallon bucket type traps in there but am still having problems.  Last year was $7,000.00 for the combine and this year over $9,000.00 on the Challenger.  Chewed up wires requiring full replacement.

Thinking about getting some barn cats, but that has its own problems like getting Chewed up by the fan/belts/ etc when it's cold.  Plus the neighbors dogs kill cats with extreme prejudice.

View Quote

Get female cats. Problem will be solved.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Get the black bait boxes and the five gallon buckets of bait, don't put the bait in the open or your dogs, cats or kids can get it, and for certain types of bait there is no antidote, that would be nasty. I had a problem with field mice and pack rats they ate a piece of wiring on a Range Rover, all the trouble lights were lit up,  took forever to find the spot, cost a fortune.  My American made cars they left the wiring alone, go figure.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#21]
You need to mix the poison up, change brands and ingredients. They won't survive
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Jack Russel terrier - No need to worry about the neighbor dogs then.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Go get the gasoline.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The answer can be found in your username.
View Quote

I've killed them many different ways, but shooting inside a barn with a LOT of money in equipment is not a possibility...even if would be fun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Snakes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Cats, you need cats.  

Just don't feed them too much and they will clean your barn right up.

My daughter swears by cats on her farm and a big Great Per. Farm dog to keep the yotes away.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

don't kill snakes they naturally control rodents ....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Snakes.
View Quote

Can't do snakes.  I'd almost rather have the mice.  Plus they wouldn't work 24/7 all year in this climate anyways.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]
We keep cats. Lotsa cats. No mice though.
Are you sure the chewing wasn't done by rats?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't get cats. They can be a pain in the ass too
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Cat
Dog
Traps
Poison
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Cats. Cats everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Got 15 mice in 2 days with the bucket traps even though the poison had been set out for weeks.
View Quote

Most 'bait' now comes in small blocks, grind them into small particles and mix with just enough peanut butter to hold togeather. Rats that are trap / bait shy fall for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't usually do this, but PM me.
I own a pest control company and we do rodent control on farms.
I would like to help a fellow Arfcommer on this problem off the forum.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Rotate your poisons.  Use the ones rated for farm use.  Federal law will require them to be sold through farm type stores.
Motomco makes a good poison rotation.  Brand names are tomcat (bromethalin), hawk (Bromalolone), jaguar (Brodifacoum).  I very well may have spelled the poisons wrong.

Use the bate holder to prevent children or animals from getting ahold of the poisons.

They also make a liquid poison and bait holder that works well under the tomcat name.

Mice have cost me a lot in the past also.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#37]
It sucks.  I spend hours every year splicing wires in the CASE IH hell hole as I call it.  My mother likes feeding the cats a little to much.

I have yet to find a solution, but I am liking the Tomcat bait traps that the mice can get in but the cats can't.

How well do you clean your combines up before putting them in the shed?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Positive.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It sucks.  I spend hours every year splicing wires in the CASE IH hell hole as I call it.  My mother likes feeding the cats a little to much.

I have yet to find a solution, but I am liking the Tomcat bait traps that the mice can get in but the cats can't.

How well do you clean your combines up before putting them in the shed?
View Quote

A lot.  Ingersoll air compressor, pressure washing, etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Rat bait in bait boxes.  Check them weekly and refill them as needed.  A large population of rats will devour a bucket of bait, but you will start seeing results within a couple of days.
View Quote
Ding ding ding!  We have to use copious amonts of poison diring certain parts of the year to keep the vermin at bay.  Does not seem to hurt the feral barncats either...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not all poison is equal.  Some is tastier to them than others
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Rotate your poisons.  Use the ones rated for farm use.  Federal law will require them to be sold through farm type stores.
Motomco makes a good poison rotation.  Brand names are tomcat (bromethalin), hawk (Bromalolone), jaguar (Brodifacoum).  I very well may have spelled the poisons wrong.

Use the bate holder to prevent children or animals from getting ahold of the poisons.

They also make a liquid poison and bait holder that works well under the tomcat name.

Mice have cost me a lot in the past also.
View Quote

Great information.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Find a cat, leave it food near where you want it to hunt, and relax
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#44]
We got to a point where poison wasn't working.  Then we switched to crushing the poison up and mixing it with Nutella.   They fuckin love nutella and those little pricks started falling out all over the place.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Had read that some wire insulations were using soybean and vegetable oils to make the plastic and it was causing rodents to chew wires.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#46]
What kind of barn?  Metal pole barn?  Can you seal it up tighter?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ding ding ding!  We have to use copious amonts of poison diring certain parts of the year to keep the vermin at bay.  Does not seem to hurt the feral barncats either...
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What kind of barn?  Metal pole barn?  Can you seal it up tighter?
View Quote

Metal pole barn.  As you may know, impossible to seal it air/rodent Tight.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Positive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Positive.

Little jerks can screw up wiring harnesses.
I once spent a long day stuffed under the seat of a JD7700 splicing wires. The color coding was mostly gone. Trial and error. Much error.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Keep everything mowed down around your shop as well.  If you have tall grass that is just a natural pathway in.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top