Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2001 12:07:47 AM EDT
I keep a Glock 27 mounted to the head of the bed in a holster for home defense. I took it out to go to the range and upon cleaning it, I saw something that looks like possible rust. By looking at the slide under normal light it appears as it always has, a dark matte gray/black color. But when I shine my surefire light at it I can see what appear to be small dots of discoloration. There are about 5 or so small spots, and the spots are almost perfect circles. Also, where the serrations are at the back of the slide there is a slight orangeish color in the craks.

The apartment I live in can get hot and can at times be pretty humid. I think this is do to it being in close proximity to one of the laundry facilities. But I always keep my firearms clean and properly lubed. This is the only gun that I don't keep in the safe.

Now I don't know what these spots are. I wipe all my handguns down with a silicone cloth on a regular basis, but I don’t know if that is enough. Should I be oiling the exterior of the slide? I really don’t understand how perfect circles could form on the slide like this. The only way I see it could even get wet is from flying sweat after some freaky sex. But I highly doubt that.

Anyway, I just ordered a buncha crap from Sentry Solutions like the Tuff Cloth and hope that helps. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Could it be remnants of the anti-sieze compound? Until it's totally warn off, it tends to fly all over the gun, inside the slide and out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You can TEFLON the slide and other carbon steel parts, or use plenty of CLP as the teflon in it builds up over time to protect your arm, and never use any other cleaners with CLP because it will break down the CLP and make it useless!

TEFLON can be had from BROWNELLS [url]www.brownells.com
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]
You could also rub it down with Break Free's "Collector" and forget about it for several years!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Try a product called CorrosionX.I have been using this product for over a year, and believe in it. It is advertised in this Julys Cessna Owners magazine, page 38. Advertisement says that Before eighty UD-60 and AH-1 helicopters were deployed to Somalia in 1993, half were treated with CorrosionX, rest were untreated. Post-deployment refurbishment results indicated significant difference in treated against non treated aircraft. Saved the Army 4 million dollars.[url]http://www.corrosionx.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top