Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/21/2002 2:03:06 AM EDT
I just had a little run in with the LEO's of Bedford, TX, and would like to make it known to all what a pleasant, all things considered, experience it was. While chatting with one of my coworkers about two hours ago now, we agreed that luch sounded really good, but I had to stop by the atm, so we both went in his truck rather than just one of us. While a Jack in the Crack, our having to circle back around the drive through apparently drew the attention of a police officer, and for whatever reason he ran the plate. When we finally pulled out of the drive through, he immediately fell in behind us, and after a couple of hundred feet, lit us up. Needless to say we pulled over, and the officer approached in a very professional manner, introduced himself and asked for the usual items from the driver. After a moment, during which I found out that my driver had warrants outstanding, the officer returned and confirmed this. He asked my coworker to get out of the truck which he did, and after a brief conversation, he asked the officer to retrieve his jacket from the seat beside me. I am sitting during this time, eating curly fries, and drinking Dr. Pepper. As the officer removed the jacket, he noticed the handle of what turned out to be a dagger, and pulled said dagger, (a mere 13 inches) out from under the pile of stuff in the seat. I immediately realized what he had found and went on my better than best behavior, hands clearly visible and such. At this point, a second unit had arrived on scene just before the discovery, and I was immediately asked to get out of the vehicle, which I responded to promptly. While I waited at the rear of the truck, the second responding officer and I went through the obvious line of questions and answers as well as me identifying myself, and then had a rather pleasant conversation to pass the time. During the initial officers search of the vehicle, 2 swords were also discovered behind the seat of the truck. I was also questioned about my knowledge of these weapons, I knew about none of them by the way, and I again answered honestly that I did not. At this point, my driver has been put in the back of the squad car, and his fate is obvious. However I could very well be sharing in a portion of that fate, at least for the night. After recieving the all clear on my record, and clearing the truck of all weapons, I was free to leave and drove the truck back to work where I sit now. I was never treated poorly, or shown attitude, and neither was my coworker. So for all of you who insist that the cops are just out to get us I say NOT!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:59:13 AM EDT
This is the way you should always be treated. So, whats the big deal about an encounter with an LEO when he isn't acting like a dick?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:03:03 AM EDT
I have just noticed an awful lot of bitching about how evil these guys are, and wanted to share a GOOD experience with those who seem to think it never happens. I don't think it is a big deal, never have had a problem with a man doing his job personally.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:54:21 AM EDT
This noticably [i]good[/i] experience, should be a [i]normal[/i] experience. Are swords illegal in Texas?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:58:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2002 4:00:02 AM EDT by USP40C]
Transport of collectables is legal, however to "carry" one is I believe illegal. I know that a 13" fixed blade knife is. The officer commented that it sure looked longer than 5" as he examined it initially. He even took the time to check out the blade situation before he acted on it beyond establishing his safety. Called dispatch and had the statute looked up. Since I was standing there talking with the secondary officer, I heard the response that it was in violation, however the specifics I do not know.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:44:17 AM EDT
Glad to hear that you had a good experience with LEO's.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:16:21 AM EDT
I think your first mistake was going to Jack in the Box. Wasn't there a Taco Cabana nearby?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 7:35:21 AM EDT
I'm surprised they let you take his vehicle. Had it been around here, they would have towed the truck and given you a nice ride in a cruiser back to work. I'm curious as to what your employer said when they were told why [drivers name] didn't return to work....
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:08:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Norm_G: This noticably [i]good[/i] experience, should be a [i]normal[/i] experience. Are swords illegal in Texas?
View Quote
From the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure: [b]§ 46.01. Definitions . . . (6) "Illegal knife" means a: (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches; (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown; (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard; (D) bowie knife; (E) sword; or (F) spear. § 46.02. Unlawful Carrying Weapons (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club. (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor. (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.[/b] So technically, carrying a sword around behind the seat of your truck is illegal. It would also be pretty useless as someone else would simply pull a rifle or shotgun from behind the seat of theirs, which is completely legal for them to carry, either loaded or unloaded.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:36:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Airhead: I'm surprised they let you take his vehicle. Had it been around here, they would have towed the truck and given you a nice ride in a cruiser back to work. I'm curious as to what your employer said when they were told why [drivers name] didn't return to work....
View Quote
I fully expected to catch a ride so to speak, especially with the tags and inspection being out. As has been said, this was an exceptionally good experience, and I wanted some of the folks around here to know that it does happen. At this time his fate at work is still undecided, as the CEO is out of town, (this campany still has a very small feel to it despite 150,000 clients in 176 countries), and his length of absence is still undetermined. Ponyboy--Thanks for clarifying the legal aspect there. I found out after talking to another co-worker that one of the swords was sharpened, clouding the water further as to it's "collectible" status.
Top Top