Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 4/13/2006 3:35:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 3:35:52 PM EST by NME]

Quote from page:

Baluchitherium

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indricotherium/Baluchitherium is believed to have been the largest land mammal ever to have lived. It stood 8 m (26 ft) high at the shoulders and was 12 m (39.5 ft) long. Its skull was about 2 m (6.6 ft) in length, its limbs were long and massive, and it weighed about 20 tons. It was a herbivore that stripped leaves from trees with its down-pointing, tusk-like upper teeth that occluded forward-pointing lower teeth.

"Baluchitherium" means "beast from Baluchistan" in Pakistan, where fossils attributed to Paraceratherium have been discovered.

Indricotherium is named after a mythical Russian beast called the "indrik," considered the most powerful creature and the father of the animals.

These giant animals seem to have been limited to central Asia, for their fossils have not been found elsewhere.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:37:12 PM EST
I thought you were bragging about your recent 'bathroom' trip reading the title.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:41:07 PM EST
That last image reminds me (disturbingly) of an AT-AT
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:42:04 PM EST
So what would you use to hunt something like that? I think it would at least call for a 25mm Bushmaster chain gun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:44:09 PM EST
i thought he was talking about the last time he was next to me at a urinal
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:44:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 3:46:25 PM EST by capnrob97]
I am curious why reptiles evolved to be so large back then. Makes the 6 ft. gator in the lake behind my house look wimpy.

ETA: Doesn't seem very efficient biologically to grow that big.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:46:13 PM EST
IBN_.......aw, shit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:46:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Thuban:
So what would you use to hunt something like that? I think it would at least call for a 25mm Bushmaster chain gun.

[arfcom non hunter] Dude, the 5.56mm is good to go for hunting whitetail, wild boar, and Baluchitherium. Like anything else, it's all about shot placement [arfcom non hunter]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:49:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By capnrob97:
I am curious why reptiles evolved to be so large back then. Makes the 6 ft. gator in the lake behind my house look wimpy.

It wasn't a reptile, it was a mammal. Species evolve to fill ecological niches and this puppy filled the niche left vacant by the extinction of the sauropod dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:49:58 PM EST
I assumed it would be pics of a boil or zit. Yet I clicked on the thread anyway. Good Lord, what has this place done to me?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:51:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By RikWriter:

It wasn't a reptile, it was a mammal. Species evolve to fill ecological niches and this puppy filled the niche left vacant by the extinction of the sauropod dinosaurs.

Ok thanks. I always thought dinos were reptiles. Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:51:19 PM EST
So what? Still tasted like Chicken.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:52:47 PM EST
Actually it was a Girafhipporhinolephant!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:55:00 PM EST
Damn I'd hate to have to clean that big bastard.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:03:20 PM EST
It IS huge! You'd need a deegle with the beamz to take one down. Like this one:

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:15:28 PM EST

Well, it wasn't a dinosaur. In geologic time, it's FAR closer to modern man than it was to the last of the dinos.

Being huge carries these advantages: lack of predation, gigantothermy (easy to produce and keep body heat), and did we mention lack of predation?

the downsides, of course, include everything else, from slow locomotion to an enormous caloric requirement, strain on the skeletal system, potential difficulty in mating, generally small litter size, long gestation periods, etc.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:15:50 PM EST

How about Carcharocles(or Carcharodon depending on your scientific viewpoint) Megalodon?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:23:23 PM EST
There used to be a fullsized model of one you could walk under in Elephant Hall in Lincoln Ne , but i have not been tere for 20 years
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:29:34 PM EST
.....and i clicked on this thread thinking i was going to see some pics of a big spider someone killed. Boy was I dissapointed. h.gif
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:31:52 PM EST
I'm seeing the first pic, but the rest are red X's
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:37:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:42:04 PM EST

Dinosaurs were reptiles. This thing was NOT a dinosaur. It lived much later.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:19:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By Voldermortist:
www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Sharks/Sharks%20Photos/Megalodon_jaw_Columbia_SC_museum.JPG

How about Carcharocles(or Carcharodon depending on your scientific viewpoint) Megalodon?

According to one guy (can't remember his name) those things are still around...

But what the Hell do I know, I'm not gonna go f*Cking looking for them or something...

If they still exist they can stay right where they are...

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:21:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By Another_Dude:
IBN_.......aw, shit.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:23:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By DukeSnookems:
It IS huge! You'd need a deegle with the beamz to take one down. Like this one:

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/DragonsBloodAxe/DESEREAGLEBEAMZ.jpg

Werd.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:02:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By NME:
www.creationism.org/books/price/PredicmtEvol/BaluchitheriumSkull.jpg

big_game.at.infoseek.co.jp/Pleistocene/Baluchitherium/BaluchitheriumOld.jpg

big_game.at.infoseek.co.jp/Pleistocene/Baluchitherium/Baluchitherium.jpg

www.avph.hpg.ig.com.br/jpg/baluchitherium1.jpg

Quote from page:

Baluchitherium

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indricotherium/Baluchitherium is believed to have been the largest land mammal ever to have lived. It stood 8 m (26 ft) high at the shoulders and was 12 m (39.5 ft) long. Its skull was about 2 m (6.6 ft) in length, its limbs were long and massive, and it weighed about 20 tons. It was a herbivore that stripped leaves from trees with its down-pointing, tusk-like upper teeth that occluded forward-pointing lower teeth.

"Baluchitherium" means "beast from Baluchistan" in Pakistan, where fossils attributed to Paraceratherium have been discovered.

Indricotherium is named after a mythical Russian beast called the "indrik," considered the most powerful creature and the father of the animals.

These giant animals seem to have been limited to central Asia, for their fossils have not been found elsewhere.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you imagine the .50 possibilities?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:04:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By Voldermortist:
www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Sharks/Sharks%20Photos/Megalodon_jaw_Columbia_SC_museum.JPG

Now I'm beginning to see the reality of Jona in the belly of a whale.
Top Top