Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/21/2005 4:19:09 PM EDT
Thank you for sharing your loss with us (public) and how you got out of your house when it was burring down around you.
There are quite a few things to take away from the article, sir. The pics of your burnt firearms are sickenging. But like you said, "stuff is stuff", and you saved your grandson.

"What's your strategy?" To be honest, other than grabbing my dog and jumping out a window, I haven't thought about it.

August issue, Pg. 60.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 7:43:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 12:43:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Denny_Hansen:
We have already raised the Kimber Warrior from the ashes and it’s running well. We’ll have an article on the endeavor, dubbed “Project Phoenix” with a lot of photos in an upcoming issue.

WOW!! That gun looked like toast. Now thats dedication. Glad everyone made it out OK.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 4:11:24 PM EDT
I learned that I didn't have a plan. I do now, and I have passed this info onto other family members.

Thanks for opening our eyes!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:31:52 AM EDT
I just came to this section to praise this very article - good to see others beating me to it.

Danny, very sorry for you loss, but I'm happy to see you and your grandson made it out. A couple of months ago my son had us all low-crawling through the house because of a Cub Scout requirement. Your article really brought home the 'WHY' we needed to learn it. Thanks for sharing your lessons learned with the rest of us.
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 11:01:07 AM EDT
I also wanted to come over to this forum to thank Mr. Hanson for sharing his tragedy with us and trying to help make some good come from it.
Although it is very sad to lose so many prized personal possessions, at least the most important things were salvaged, your lives and future.
Also, the value of a friend who brings not only clothes but a carry gun, is absolutely immeasureable. I hope to be and have friends like that.
One thing that occurred to me, is that if you have lost nearly all of your personal firearms, you have a unique opportunity to start from scratch, without prejudice. I know ,in my case, I have made decisions based on what I thought I needed, what calibers I already have, the newest , coolest gizmo available. It would seem that you have an excellent window to explore the idea of being a new gun buyer with all of the info available to a man of experience.
And I can't wait to see how well salvaged guns come back to life. A local pawnshop owner lost his home to wildfire a few years back and I nearly cried when I saw the salvaged pieces for sale at the Big Reno Show. It had been an awesome collection of vintage Winchester rifles.
Anyhow, I am sorry for your loss and I hope you can put your life back in order before too long.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:31:29 AM EDT
Denny, that article was extremely eye opening for me. For whatever reason I have never really given any thought to what I would do if my home was on fire. All I ever did to prepare myself was to have working smoke detectors but never a plan on what to do if they went off. I have a plan now and I thank you for bringing it to our attention, I'm sure alot of people were like me and never thought about it.

The part about when you were finally outside and you seen that your one dog had your grandsons arm/hand in his mouth, that was absolutely amazing. Do you remember anything about how the dog did that? Was the dog in the bedroom with you or did you just find you on the way out? I found that part and of course the whole story just amazing.

I'm glad you and your grandson are OK and thank you for sharing your story!
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 9:16:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:16:22 AM EDT
I was sorry to hear about your loss, as we are building a new house, I am paying attention to escaping from the 2nd floor. Also as we are networking the house, one computer will be in our stand alone Garage/Gym. We are going to scan all important documents into the computer and store a copy on a portable hard drive and inthe garage computer. That includes pictures, and other family keepsakes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:24:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:42:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DOA:

Originally Posted By Denny_Hansen:
We have already raised the Kimber Warrior from the ashes and it’s running well. We’ll have an article on the endeavor, dubbed “Project Phoenix” with a lot of photos in an upcoming issue.

WOW!! That gun looked like toast. Now thats dedication. Glad everyone made it out OK.

No kidding! I'll be interested in seeing it now!
Top Top