Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2006 9:48:32 PM EDT
Shit.......stepped on the scale tonight and saw that I've hit 260lbs. Back in high school (which was only 3 years ago, sadly enough) I was a solid 205lbs and in shape.

I've posted before about how I'm overweight, but I've hit a point where things have become beyond ridiculous and downright unhealthy. If I keep up as I have I'm going to end up a diabetic and with heart disease in no time.

I've tried a very strict diet and was always hungry and miserable the entire time. I used to want to lose weight in order to look better for the opposite sex, but I really don't care about that now. I'm at an area where my life is in danger.

I need to lose weight. My dream goal is to be an athletic 195lbs. Right now I'd be ecstatic to bring it back down to 230lbs or so.

I know I eat shit for food and tons of it. For some reason it seems eating healthy leaves me feeling starved all the time (maybe starving is what I could use ).

I need a brutal, no-BS assessment about what state I'm in and what I NEED to do to lose this weight. 6 months ago I made an almost identical post about swearing I was going to lose weight, and as you can see, failed miserably. Now I've gone beyond what I weighed then and need to start going the opposite direction, NOW!

I've already taken one step. I used to play basketball all the time and loved it, but haven't played since high school. Tonight I ordered a quality indoor/outdoor basketball from Dick's Sporting Goods, and plan to go to the gym and shoot hoops for at least an hour every day.

What else can I do. I need help with this, badly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jigglejiggle jiggle jigglejiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle

whew
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
How tall are you?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How tall are you?

6' 3". 20 years old.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How tall are you?

6' 3". 20 years old.

at 6'3" you arent THAAAAT bad, just start doing some more cardio and get rid of the sweets, drink a big glass of water prior to eating meals and reduce portion size
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
College will do that to you ... I remember when I was in college our 4 primary food groups were Beer, Pizza, Shots, and Munchies.

Sometimes you'd get something healthy if the buffalo wings had a piece of celery on the plate, but that was about it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You should post in the Self Defense and Fitness forum.

Here is a thread where you can set goals for 2006, and maybe get ideas from others here who are trying to get/stay fit.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=113&t=423471
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How tall are you?

6' 3". 20 years old.

at 6'3" you arent THAAAAT bad, just start doing some more cardio and get rid of the sweets, drink a big glass of water prior to eating meals and reduce portion size

True, I could be a lot worse off and be 5' 3", but I'm still in shitastic shape.

So the goal of a few big glasses of water is to give the sensation of being more full, as to avoid eating a fuckton load?

I forgot to add, I don't want to really go the novelty diet plan route, but is there any food/drink/vitamin that will kick my metabolism a few notches?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
lose the weight now cause it's a bitch to get rid of it as you get older.
My 6'1" 245lb ass says so
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]
the only thing that will "kick" the metabolism is stuff that will make you jittery and keep you from sleeping.  I've found that the dont help enough to put up with the side effects.

and yes the water is to help fill you up
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
College will do that to you ... I remember when I was in college our 4 primary food groups were Beer, Pizza, Shots, and Munchies.

Sometimes you'd get something healthy if the buffalo wings had a piece of celery on the plate, but that was about it.

When I was in college I ate cereal out of the box with a spoon.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the only thing that will "kick" the metabolism is stuff that will make you jittery and keep you from sleeping.  I've found that the dont help enough to put up with the side effects.

So meth would be a bad route to go?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Start lifting weights and cut out soda and desserts. It will be horrible for about 2 weeks and then you stop craving them for the most part.  You can still eat stuff that isn't that great for you, but just keep it in moderation. If you just stick to doing that I promise you will lose a lot of weight.

ETA: This is coming from a guy who was overweight all through high school and is now in college and pretty ripped.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How tall are you?

6' 3". 20 years old.

True, I could be a lot worse off and be 5' 3", but I'm still in shitastic shape.

So the goal of a few big glasses of water is to give the sensation of being more full, as to avoid eating a fuckton load?

I forgot to add, I don't want to really go the novelty diet plan route, but is there any food/drink/vitamin that will kick my metabolism a few notches?

Yes  it is called lots of aerobic activity--There is no softer more gentle way
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So meth would be a bad route to go?

actually that's the latest fad diet known as the "Jenny Crank Diet"

a rock for breakfast, a rock for lunch, and a sensible dinner
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I ate a whole box of donuts today.  My BMI is 20.  

[Koolaid] Ohhh Yeahhh! [/K]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Back when I was exercising for a good 4 hours of the day doing HS sports, I could eat half a sheet of brownies for breakfast without any problems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I hate you with the intensity of a thousand suns !!

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I honestly believe I can do this. I just kicked a psychological addiction to medicine and made it through the physical withdrawal when many said I wouldn't be able to do it. This will certainly be a challenege.....

Sadly there's also a small part of me saying "Fuck it" and just be a fat shit for the rest of my life....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, here's my story.  Use what you can.

Always had a weight problem since jr high (love to eat, hate to move, self-esteem/self-image issue up the ying-yang).

I'm 6' 4" and got up to almost 300# near the end of 04.  Had enough when I started wearing 46 pants to CCW IWB and it was easier to roll off the couch than stand up.

Dumped the junk food.  Dumped the regular sodas.  Bought a treadmill, not for running (I'd rather have my fingernails torn off than run) but for walking.  Got a good heart rate monitor (Polar) and stuck to a simple, but effective  routine.   Worked up to 15 or so miles a week over the course of a couple of months.  The "off" days I wasn't on the treadmill I'd do about 20 minutes of freeweights (just upper body stuff - the treadmill did wonders for the lower half).  Started eating simple.  Kept the fats down (look at labels - it's AMAZING how much of calories in most food is FAT), started eating more protein.

Did allow a "cheat" day once a week but found over time I didn't really care and would stick to my diet.

Most of the game is PURELY mental.   You have to get TOTALLY self-centered about what you're doing AND WHAT YOU WANT.  That DOESN'T mean you have to be a prick to the rest of the world it just means that your needs come first.

I went from nearly 300 down to 235 (and size 38) in the course of about 5 months.  I was in better shape than I had been in DECADES and, if I do say so myself, looked DAMN good.  

Since I've sold my house and been on the road since September I've gained back about 15 or so pounds but I'm not worried.  I now have the mental part of it locked down.  Once I get settled in a new house I'll be back on the treadmill and in better shape than where I left off in no time.

I'll say it again... 90% of it IS IN YOUR HEAD.  Once you get that figured out, the physical part will happen.

ETA: PS - I turned 48 Nov 05.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I hope you take this seriously!

I am 43 years old and spent the majority of my life being overweight.  My blood pressure was always high, so my doctor gave me pills and told me to lose weight.  He warned me that type II diabetes was next.

Did I listen????  No.

Now, I am a type II diabetic, with high blood pressure.

I have lost the weight and try to do the right thing, but I still have to take medication, and most likely my life will be shortened because of my illnesses.

You have a choice to make.  Do the right thing now, or suffer the pains later.

I always tell my doctor, "I guess you were right all those years that you warned me."

Pay attention to the docs on this site, Astro, drjarhead, Fish something or other, Ed Sr., and I am sure there are many more that I can't think of right now.  Ask them for their opinion.  Be smart and listen to them.

I thought I knew better than my doc, and I guessed wrong.  Now I live with it.

What do you want now?  Follow orders or roll the dice. It's your life.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I hope you take this seriously!

I am 43 years old and spent the majority of my life being overweight.  My blood pressure was always high, so my doctor gave me pills and told me to lose weight.  He warned me that type II diabetes was next.

Did I listen????  No.

Now, I am a type II diabetic, with high blood pressure.

I have lost the weight and try to do the right thing, but I still have to take medication, and most likely my life will be shortened because of my illnesses.

You have a choice to make.  Do the right thing now, or suffer the pains later.

I always tell my doctor, "I guess you were right all those years that you warned me."

Pay attention to the docs on this site, Astro, drjarhead, Fish something or other, Ed Sr., and I am sure there are many more that I can't think of right now.  Ask them there opinion.  Be smart and listen to them.

I thought I knew better than my doc, and I guessed wrong.  Now I live with it.

What do you want now?  Follow orders or roll the dice. It's your life.

I intend to take this very seriously. Before any weight gain I had I shrugged aside as adding some thickness and just decreasing any attractiveness I have. Now it's become a major health concern for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Hell, Robo, I weigh 260 and I'm only 6'0".

With a baby on the way, I need to eat right and start exercising ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#23]
pssst.....

jeeennnnyyyy craaaaannnnk

its the easy way
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I have struggled with being over weight since I was 11 I am 26 now.  The south beach diet seems to be the best thing I have done.  I lost alot of weight on atkins 2 or 3 times but it is to hard to stick to I was losing weight good on South Beach until thanksgiving holliday and then there was christmas and new years so I said to hell with it now I am back up there again.  Being fat sucks I am over weight and out of shape but right now I lack the motivation to do anything about it.  16-20 I stayed in excellant health and shape 22-24 I did pretty good after I met my wife and we got serious we both gained alot of weight I am 5'10" and 225  I wouldnt mind being 6'3" 260 right now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I'm off to bed. Since I've been a lazy fuck on college break and sleeping in until 1pm it's time to change that shit right here and now. I have the alarm set for 9am and plan to run roughly a 1-1.5 mile course after getting up and stretching properly. Eating right starts tomorrow and I'll go from there.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and goodnight.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
pssst.....

jeeennnnyyyy craaaaannnnk

its the easy way

That'd almost be tempting if I had the $$ to afford to start up a production lab
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I know this may sound radical, but a group of cutting edge scientists have come up with a new theory on weight loss.

If you're willing to give it a shot, it probably can work for you, too.

Here it is:

Eat Less

Excercise More
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well, I'm off to bed. Since I've been a lazy fuck on college break and sleeping in until 1pm it's time to change that shit right here and now. I have the alarm set for 9am and plan to run roughly a 1-1.5 mile course after getting up and stretching properly. Eating right starts tomorrow and I'll go from there.

I think you might wanna walk for a week or two before running
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#29]
You'd be better off working on the treadmill (high impact on your legs though) or stair climber (low impact) or eliptical trainer (low impact) doing cardio or fat burning routines.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I dont understand it. The whole weight game is *really* simple.

If you take in more calories then you burn, you gain weight.
If you take in less calories then you burn, you lose weight.

Just how fucking hard is this very simple equation to understand? Not happy with your weight? Either eat less or exercise more, ideally both.

I mean jesus, this is one of the simplest equations in the world to understand and it seems 75% of America hasnt figured it out.........
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Shit.......stepped on the scale tonight and saw that I've hit 260lbs. Back in high school (which was only 3 years ago, sadly enough) I was a solid 205lbs and in shape.

I've posted before about how I'm overweight, but I've hit a point where things have become beyond ridiculous and downright unhealthy. If I keep up as I have I'm going to end up a diabetic and with heart disease in no time.

I've tried a very strict diet and was always hungry and miserable the entire time. I used to want to lose weight in order to look better for the opposite sex, but I really don't care about that now. I'm at an area where my life is in danger.

I need to lose weight. My dream goal is to be an athletic 195lbs. Right now I'd be ecstatic to bring it back down to 230lbs or so.

I know I eat shit for food and tons of it. For some reason it seems eating healthy leaves me feeling starved all the time (maybe starving is what I could use ).

I need a brutal, no-BS assessment about what state I'm in and what I NEED to do to lose this weight. 6 months ago I made an almost identical post about swearing I was going to lose weight, and as you can see, failed miserably. Now I've gone beyond what I weighed then and need to start going the opposite direction, NOW!

I've already taken one step. I used to play basketball all the time and loved it, but haven't played since high school. Tonight I ordered a quality indoor/outdoor basketball from Dick's Sporting Goods, and plan to go to the gym and shoot hoops for at least an hour every day.

Weighs and running will get your metabolism up.  Weight lift every other day, and run on your off days.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#32]

True, but it's not nearly that simple.  The amount of calories you burn changes depending on how much you take in.  Drop your intake drastically, and the number of calories you burn will also drop.  Sometimes much more than you would expect.

As an example, I've seen my wife keep meticulous records of what she eats.  When she eats about 1,250 kCalories a day, she loses about a pound a month.  The several months she cut back to 750 kCalories a day she gained weight.  Because she ate so little, her body went into starvation mode to protect itself.  Your body starts to protect its fat stores and instead uses muscle to provide of the calories.  This leads to a loss of muscle, which in turn lowers metabolic rate so that she needed fewer calories to live and her weight loss not only stopped, but her weight increased.  The muscle she lost when doing this took her about two years to gain back so doing this negatively affected her for a very long time.  Also a problem that showed-up on an ECG may have been caused by heart muscle loss while she was on such a restricted diet.

In my opinion, the safest way to lose weight is to decrease what you eat by 10%.  If that doesn't lead to a 1/4 to a 1/2 pound weight loss per week, then decrease again by 10% and repeat.  Gradually changing your intake to find the optimal loss rate is much safer and more likely to work than what my wife did.z
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

True, but it's not nearly that simple.  The amount of calories you burn changes depending on how much you take in.  Drop your intake drastically, and the number of calories you burn will also drop.  Sometimes much more than you would expect.

As an example, I've seen my wife keep meticulous records of what she eats.  When she eats about 1,250 kCalories a day, she loses about a pound a month.  The several months she cut back to 750 kCalories a day she gained weight.  Because she ate so little, her body went into starvation mode to protect itself.  Your body starts to protect its fat stores and instead uses muscle to provide of the calories.  This leads to a loss of muscle, which in turn lowers metabolic rate so that she needed fewer calories to live and her weight loss not only stopped, but her weight increased.  The muscle she lost when doing this took her about two years to gain back so doing this negatively affected her for a very long time.  Also a problem that showed-up on an ECG may have been caused by heart muscle loss while she was on such a restricted diet.

In my opinion, the safest way to lose weight is to decrease what you eat by 10%.  If that doesn't lead to a 1/4 to a 1/2 pound weight loss per week, then decrease again by 10% and repeat.  Gradually changing your intake to find the optimal loss rate is much safer and more likely to work than what my wife did.z

I'll be the first to agree theres more to it, my statement was just a (accurate) simplification of the matter.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#34]
The Short List:20 Things YOU Can Do

Assuming you have a normal schedule (ie you don't work nights) here is K.I.S.S. method to burning calories and losing fat:

DO's (very easy)

1) Eat a reaonable breakfast first thing in the morning
2) Exersize for at least 20 min. daily (swim, jog, run, shoot hoops, walk, etc.)
3) Drink at least 1/2 gallon of WATER daily - drink a gallon if you can
4) Get enough sleep
5) Eat a few vegetables every day - Like fresh salsa? it will boost your metabolism by 25%
6) Keep fruit that you like around for snacking
7) Chew your food slowly
8) Eat 1/2-3/4 of the portions that you are used to
9) Lift weights 2-3 times a week
10) Find an exersize/diet partner (extra motivation always helps)

DONT'S (not as easy,but still easy)

1) Don't give up
2) Don't skip breakfast
3) Don't "eat til you are full"
4) Don't eat after 7PM
5) Don't base your success on the scale - base it on the mirror instead
6) Don't listen to naysayers
7) Don't give up everything you like to eat - be fair to yourself and just use some moderation
8) Don't rely on stimulants, Don't drink Alcohol, Don't drink regular soda
9) Don't do it for others - Do it for yourself
10) Don't give up

Good Luck!!!  
sst7
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:15:49 AM EDT
[#35]
baaah im 5' 10" and about 220 last time i waddled up to the scale
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:27:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Eat your hearts out - I still weigh what I did in high school, thirty years ago.
Although I do have chest-in-drawers disease. (That's when your chest heads for your drawers.)  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you might wanna walk for a week or two before running

Yeah, after waking up today I realized it might be better to start a little slower

It also occurred to me that my sleeping so damn much has contributed as well. Obviously, sleeping isn't going to burn as many calories as if I were at least awake and moderately active.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Classical yoga instructor and former fitness trainer "weighing in":

1) Muscle uses up calories to maintain itself even while resting.  Adipose tissue (aka fat) does not and just hangs around accomplishing nothing except making you the butt of jokes.

2) Running is great... but my ' significant other' guy is super lean and combines strength training of the 'iron' variety with 5k runs.  He tells me (expletives and ethnic language modified/deleted) "You can't buy a decent pair of running shoes these days... they're all made for show, not function.  They aren't made for runners anymore but for a bunch of ******s who spend their $ for that (logo) and the shoes all come in nothing but gang colors and gimmicky #*%$@ plus you are guaranteed to pronate, twist, strain or sprain something if you try to actually run in modern new-issue running shoes blah blah profanity blah" (he buys vintage 1980s shoes off ebay)

3) Quit eating that industrial-farmed meat!  No one has brought this up before, but think about all the (estrogenic!!!) growth hormones they feed the animals to make them grow very huge, very quickly.  Then we eat the meat containing those estrogenic hormones?  What in the hell do we expect as a result?  

No wonder most women are emotional basket case fat slobs, and men aren't far behind!  

Eat clean-kill wild meats or that sold by local ranchers who grass-feed their stock.

Ask any old-school traditional rancher what he or she eats and serves his own kinfolks.  At least around here they keep a few head of non-growth hormone 'enhanced' grass-grazed stock and have them dressed out privately.  

I actually load up the freezer with *buffalo* from a local rancher who raises them on mega-acres for sale to folks like us.  

Sure, buffalo or even grassfed beef will cost about 4+++times as much per pound as the supermarket beef- or  chicken-flavored estrogen-substance , but it is worth it in the long run.

Ditch the supermarket (and *definitely* the fast-food) mondo-bizaro excuses for meat and eat what worked for thousands upon thousands of years.

Best wishes and good luck on building the muscle and losing the fat!!!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back when I was exercising for a good 4 hours of the day doing HS sports, I could eat half a sheet of brownies for breakfast without any problems.

Holy shit thats funny (sorry)

It reminds me of the scene in "Me Myself & Irene " where Jim Carey's character looks at his "kids" sitting on the couch slamming junk food and watching TV 24/7, and says to one "How do you do it? You eat all day....and still don't gain weight"

Well fast forward 10 years the kid is 380lbs!!  

Moral: You are paying for those brownies.

Stop eating so much, and do something physical- anything - but move around!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:14:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Hell, I weighed less in college than I had since I was 15 years old.  Course it helped that I was running over 30 miles a week...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I am Spartacus a Fat Shit!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:29:59 AM EDT
[#42]
All I did to lose weight (270 to around 225) was count calories. Whatever I ate, I did not let it exceed about 2000 calories per day. The only thing I didn't count in adding that up were fresh fruits and vegetables. I learned very quick that I could eat much more of certain foods that ended up being healthier than others high calorie foods because if I ate the high calories foods, there was little substance and I stayed hungry. I dropped that weight over the course of about a year, and that was 2 years ago that I first weighed in at 225 and I've kept it at no more than 235 since then.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

You need to get your fat ass off the couch and stop watching football  GO BRONCOS.

Seriously, get on a diet and do some exercise.  I read Body For Life and really had a profound effect on me.  I plan on being able to do the things I love well into my 70's.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#44]
A couple people have touched on this, but I'd like to re-emphasize it:  lift weights.

Sure, part of losing weight is eating fewer calories than you burn, but the problem is that your body is pretty smart.  In knows that it can use that stored fat to feed itself if you ever starve, and it's going to resist burning it.  It'll do this in part by lowering your metabolism, so that you need fewer calories.  This happens in two ways.  First, your body actually lowers its temperature slightly.  Lowering body temperature by a few tenths of a degree starts to save a lot of calories.  Secondly, the body figures out that if it burns muscle for fuel, it doesn't have to support that muscle anymore, so fewer calories will be required in the future.  Eventually, the lowered metabolism catches up to your reduced calorie intake, and you stop losing weight.  Also, you want to be clear here - you don't want to lose weight, you want to lose fat.

Strength training will help you build muscle, which will help keep your metabolism high.  It will also encourage your body to burn fat, rather than burning muslce tissue.

Your focus should be on big, compound exercises (squat, deadlift, pullup, bench, overhead press).  These exercises build the most muscle fastest, and force your body to adapt.  They form the core of any serious strength training program.  If you want help designing a lifting program, drop me an Email or an IM, and I would be happy to help you out.

I disagree with people who are recommending aerobics to lose weight.  Think about it this way:  your body will burn about 150 calories when you run a mile.  Let's say you start running 20 miles a week (pretty impressive for a guy your size).  You are only burning 3000 calories doing this.  Personally, however, I think it's a lot easier to cut 3000 calories out of your diet over a week than to run 20 miles.  If you drink 2 cokes a day, eliminating these would give you the same results as running 20 miles a week.  Aerobic activity is still important for cardiac health, but don't think it's the key to dropping bodyfat.

To correct your diet, there are a few things that you can do that will help you, in progressive order of difficulty:

1.  Remove the simple sugars from your diet.  Drop all soda, cookies, chips.  You might consider giving yourself a cheat day once a week on which you allow yourself some soda and chips.
2.  Eliminate fast food.
3.  Write down everything you eat for a week.  Calculate the average calories that you are taking in per day.  Redesign your food intake so you eat five meals instead of three.
4.  Cyclical ketogenic diet (not to be tried unless you've tried all of the first three).

Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I have put on a few spare pounds.  Normal weight for me is 175 (I am 6-1) but all of the beer I have been drinking lately has gone right to my gut.  Now I am 185.  This is a bad 185 lanky frame with a gut
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Eat what you would normally eat,except for the fried foods of course.Now here is the key:

Eat HALF of what's on your plate.ie:If you get a burger,only eat half of it.Doing this with cardio stuff like basketball,you should lose weight at a healthy pace.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Well I just got back from walking the dog on the golf course. I don't know the distance, but it was a good 35-45 minute walk.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#48]
roboman, you should really consider changing your line from angry motherfucker to arfcom health nut.  Seriously, out of all of the healthcare threads started I think you start 75% from "is this drug ok" to "how do I clean out my colon"

As for your weight, are your parents "big" sounds like you might just be built to be big.  My old college roommate was 6-5 300# in college, now he weights 270 and he has always wanted to get down to 240, but some people, like it or not are going to be bigger than others.  I would suggest that instead of working to loose weight, work to loose fat.  Convert that fat to lean muscle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Amen to the iron!  She-it.  I used to work as a fitness trainer (would still love to but it doesn't pay jack)  and nowadays the machines are so sanitized and injury-proof (for the gym owner's protection) that you really can't accomplish much on them.    It is bad news when a small to medium sized female like me can max out the modern lower body machines.

Good old iron is GREAT... but there are other ways to build muscle.  I trained in classical yoga witha bunch of Hindu friends, and over in Asia fully as many men as women practice hatha (physical) yoga.  Someone who regularly does hatha yoga will have muscles that are fully 1/3 longer than someone who doesn't.  That is increased muscle mass indeed.  (lengthy muscles developed in yoga, when not extended,  tend to be evenly distributed about the body as compared to, say,  "bulked biceps")

Spare me pah-leeze from Americanised trendy yoga.  Hatha yoga is quite an excellent strength and muscle-mass-building , fat reducing physical discipline in the *original* (Asian) tradition
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
roboman, you should really consider changing your line from angry motherfucker to arfcom health nut.  Seriously, out of all of the healthcare threads started I think you start 75% from "is this drug ok" to "how do I clean out my colon"

As for your weight, are your parents "big" sounds like you might just be built to be big.  My old college roommate was 6-5 300# in college, now he weights 270 and he has always wanted to get down to 240, but some people, like it or not are going to be bigger than others.  I would suggest that instead of working to loose weight, work to loose fat.  Convert that fat to lean muscle.

I'm far from a health nut, more like an unhealthy bastard.

My parents aren't big either. Just normal-sized folk.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top