Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 6:48:40 AM EDT
Retired Man, 69, Begins Second Career As Deputy
The Associated Press

While many 69-year-olds in Florida are golfing and taking it easy, D.J. Lansaw is beginning a brand new career - as a deputy sheriff.

Inspired by the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the retired construction surveyor attended a six-month police academy. He graduated Monday with a job as a road deputy with the Lee County Sheriff's Office, The News-Press of southwest Florida reported Tuesday.

"I wasn't the fastest or the strongest, but I wasn't at the bottom of the class either," said Lansaw, who has volunteered at the sheriff's office since 2002. "I hope a lot of other people see this and say 'If he can do it, I can do it.' We need more deputies."

Lee County sheriff's Maj. Rob Homan said Lansaw underwent mandatory physical, medical and psychological screenings and cleared them all with ease.

"As long as somebody passes the agility test and passes the process, regardless of their age, we cannot discriminate," Homan said. "He's not your typical 69-year-old."

Lansaw will not be the oldest deputy on the force. Cpl. Harvey Hudnall, 74, still works as a patrol deputy, Cpl. John Foley, 72, works in the agency's civil division.

A U.S. Army veteran and National Rifle Association pistol instructor, Lansaw said the hardest part of the academy wasn't the push-ups or daily runs. His longtime work as a country line dance instructor had helped him stay in shape.

"The hardest thing was getting pepper-sprayed," Lansaw said. "That was kind of painful."

We retire at 50yo in my agency.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Florida is kind of fucked up letting people begin careers at such an age. The Florida Retirement System should deny his entry into the system. He will be vested at six years and can draw a goddamn state retirement. I guarantee that is what it was about to him.

I bet he isn't answering disturbances at midnight in the hood either. It's probably going to be the Civil Unit or the courthouse for him.

He also isn't working in Broward or Dade either.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Florida is kind of fucked up letting people begin careers at such an age. The Florida Retirement System should deny his entry into the system. He will be vested at six years and can draw a goddamn state retirement. I guarantee that is what it was about to him.I bet he isn't answering disturbances at midnight in the hood either. It's probably going to be the Civil Unit or the courthouse for him.

I think you're wrong.
You have no idea of his motives.

Inspired by the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the retired construction surveyor attended a six-month police academy.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Florida is kind of fucked up letting people begin careers at such an age. The Florida Retirement System should deny his entry into the system. He will be vested at six years and can draw a goddamn state retirement. I guarantee that is what it was about to him.

I bet he isn't answering disturbances at midnight in the hood either. It's probably going to be the Civil Unit or the courthouse for him.

Huh? Dude, what's wrong with the guy wanting to help his community? He may not necessarily need the money since he's been retired for a number of years already. If he's willing to pay out of pocket to attend the LE and passes all of the requirements to be a deputy then I say more power to him.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I have just seen this kind of stuff albeit not with a 69 yo, happen in my agency.

We've hired several military retirees who want to live out some childhood fantasy to play cops and robbers. They like bossing folks around like they're still in the Corps. That is until some 16yo savage from the hood challenges their authority and the react as they would've in Corps. The punk gets what he deserves but the county gets smacked with another lawsuit and more bad publicity for the rest of us who play by the rules.

Then there's the part about taking jobs aways from younger people who would remain loyal officers for decades instead of just a few years. Many older guys just use the job for beer money and could care less about the agency or their coworker's working conditions.

I respect this man for completing the academy at his age. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go back through it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top