Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2002 3:44:08 PM EST
I'm having a hell of a time with an overabundance of rabbits around my house. They keep getting into my garden . I shot several of them with my pellit gun ( I live in the city limits or I'd have the AR 15 going)and it doesn't faze them. I've shot several of them with my crossbow. The arrows stick straight threw them and they hop away.Its pretty expensive at $ 6.50 an arrow. Any other suggestions to curb this Damn rabbit problem??[:(!]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:46:46 PM EST
Really? When I lived in Ottawa I survived on rabbits shot with Pellet guns. Mind you I used a break action piston type. Are you just using a C02?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:52:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By Stormbringer: Really? When I lived in Ottawa I survived on rabbits shot with Pellet guns. Mind you I used a break action piston type. Are you just using a C02?
View Quote
I'm using an old pump action pellet gun. I pump it up around 5 times and shot them and they just sit there. I shot one tonight and hit it just under the chin. The arrow went from there all the way through and out the ass and the Damn thing hopped away. Its getting pretty Damn expensive to shoot they rabbits and lose a $6.50 arrow everytime.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:20:35 PM EST
You shot the Easter Bunny!!! WAAAAAA!!! That's what happened when a neighbor kid saw me shoot one with a sheridan 5mm... big
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:38:31 PM EST
Btt
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:40:50 PM EST
.22 subsonics from inside your garage or house.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:48:06 PM EST
Try this..: 1: Get ahold of one of those "Animal Friendly" type cage/trap.. < the ones that prop up on a stick > 2: Lure the easter Bunny into the before mentioned trap/cage. < would help if you used a carrot > 3: After the Easter Bunny is safely under the cage. Step back 30 paces and proced to spear the evil creature with your $6.50 arrow. After you spear the evil one.. walk thirty 30 forward, bend down, remove your $6.50 spear. 4: repeat step 3 untill the demented creature no longer moves. 5: repeat steps 2-4 untill the threat is gone. < ie. find the easter bunnys cousins and do the same..>
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:54:12 PM EST
Live trap them and release them in the commons area of the local Greyhound Park. Too much fun when race time comes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:06:21 PM EST
Try www.elmerfudd.com ...fullclip
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:22:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By CAPITALIST: I'm having a hell of a time with an overabundance of rabbits around my house.
View Quote
Damn Rabbits! [img]http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Smallbadge.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:28:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:29:49 PM EST
Years ago while lying in my hammock and drinking JD from the bottle I noticed my dog dragging something under the fence. Upon inspection, to my dismay, I realized it was the next door neighbor's 10 year old daughter's rabbit.[:O] For years I had watch her come home from school and head straight out to it's cage, free it and play with it in the yard. I knew today would be no different and fearing for our dog, I had to think fast.[thinking] The rabbit was quite dirty, as if it had put up quite a struggle, so I washed it off with the hose, combed it with the Dog brush and blew it dry with the leaf blower. Upon finishing it's grooming I hopped the fence and replaced back in it's cage hoping it's death [xx(] would be written off as "natural causes". Back to the hammock and my JD. Within the hour the neighbor's Volvo pulled in as usual and out popped the little girl, and as usual she headed straight for the cage. Only this time she stopped about six feet away and screamed: [>(] "DDDAAAADDDDDDDYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Her father, panic stricken, stood looking at the cage. Being the good neighbor that I am I rushed to fence and asked if there was anything I could do. Her father less than calmly blurted, "What kind of sick individual [%|] would dig up a little girl's dead rabbit and put it back in it's cage??"[:(!]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:35:59 PM EST
ROFLMAO! That is some funny shit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:47:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gunner1X: Years ago while lying in my hammock and drinking JD from the bottle I noticed my dog dragging something under the fence. Upon inspection, to my dismay, I realized it was the next door neighbor's 10 year old daughter's rabbit.[:O] For years I had watch her come home from school and head straight out to it's cage, free it and play with it in the yard. I knew today would be no different and fearing for our dog, I had to think fast.[thinking] The rabbit was quite dirty, as if it had put up quite a struggle, so I washed it off with the hose, combed it with the Dog brush and blew it dry with the leaf blower. Upon finishing it's grooming I hopped the fence and replaced back in it's cage hoping it's death [xx(] would be written off as "natural causes". Back to the hammock and my JD. Within the hour the neighbor's Volvo pulled in as usual and out popped the little girl, and as usual she headed straight for the cage. Only this time she stopped about six feet away and screamed: [>(] "DDDAAAADDDDDDDYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Her father, panic stricken, stood looking at the cage. Being the good neighbor that I am I rushed to fence and asked if there was anything I could do. Her father less than calmly blurted, "What kind of sick individual [%|] would dig up a little girl's dead rabbit and put it back in it's cage??"[:(!]
View Quote
Ok, now that's a classic story. If it wasn't from a Texan I might even think it true... [;)] Just kidding. Great story.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:51:46 PM EST
OMG that is too damn funny!!!!!!!! And the use of the smilies is perfect! Funny shit [/shaking head]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:54:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:15:02 PM EST
Gunner1X, I could not restrain myself from telling your story to the wife. She was rolling around on the floor laughing harder than I was. I thought that I was going to have to find a paper bag to keep her from hyperventilating. Just when you think that you have heard them all, just jump on AR15.com. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:22:34 PM EST
Sounds like you need a little more knock down power. You might try a paint ball gun. If you freeze the paint balls, it's like shooting them with marbles. There would be no over penetration. It will most likely stun them, which will allow a follow up shot. With a pump model f/u shots will be quick. If you use a semi or full aouto model, watch out wabbit!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:24:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By greaper: Gunner1X, I could not restrain myself from telling your story to the wife. She was rolling around on the floor laughing harder than I was. I thought that I was going to have to find a paper bag to keep her from hyperventilating. Just when you think that you have heard them all, just jump on AR15.com. Thanks for sharing.
View Quote
Aw shucks, thanks[:I] Admittedly, there was just a wee bit of plagiarism involved.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:26:02 PM EST
Hey now!!! Your lucky I'm not the sensitive type, or I'd be taking this personal.[;D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:36:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By CAPITALIST: I'm having a hell of a time with an overabundance of rabbits around my house. They keep getting into my garden . I shot several of them with my pellit gun ( I live in the city limits or I'd have the AR 15 going)and it doesn't faze them. I've shot several of them with my crossbow. The arrows stick straight threw them and they hop away.Its pretty expensive at $ 6.50 an arrow. Any other suggestions to curb this Damn rabbit problem??[:(!]
View Quote
Are suppressors legal in Ohio? If so, get one for a Ruger 10/22 and have a blast (Advanced Armament corporation makes a barrel with an integrated suppressor for a heavy barreled stock 10/22). If not, try pointed .177/.22 caliber pellets with at least 1000 fps velocity. Shoot for the head, not the hind leg region, because I know these urban rabbits are fat and tough f#$kers. I don't even know a .22 caliber rifle would faze them. Did you try a varmit type broad head on your crossbow? Get something that will cause a truck load of bleeding. Hell, use an elk broadhead [:D] themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:19:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:23:32 PM EST
get class three and buy a silencer so they cant hear you shooting your ar15
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:59:38 PM EST
I'm betting there's something wrong with your air rifle. I've shot rabbits with my 5mm, and they don't make more than one last hop after that. Try for a head shot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 4:46:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By themao:
Originally Posted By CAPITALIST: I'm having a hell of a time with an overabundance of rabbits around my house. They keep getting into my garden . I shot several of them with my pellit gun ( I live in the city limits or I'd have the AR 15 going)and it doesn't faze them. I've shot several of them with my crossbow. The arrows stick straight threw them and they hop away.Its pretty expensive at $ 6.50 an arrow. Any other suggestions to curb this Damn rabbit problem??[:(!]
View Quote
Are suppressors legal in Ohio? If so, get one for a Ruger 10/22 and have a blast (Advanced Armament corporation makes a barrel with an integrated suppressor for a heavy barreled stock 10/22). If not, try pointed .177/.22 caliber pellets with at least 1000 fps velocity. Shoot for the head, not the hind leg region, because I know these urban rabbits are fat and tough f#$kers. I don't even know a .22 caliber rifle would faze them. Did you try a varmit type broad head on your crossbow? Get something that will cause a truck load of bleeding. Hell, use an elk broadhead [:D] themao [chainsawkill]
View Quote
Yes suppressors are legal in Ohio, but I'm not ready to go that route yet. I was using an old "Powerline" pump pellit gun. It just stuns them. These rabbits are BIG. I was talking to the neighbor yesterday about them and he said " These rabbits are bigger than the neighborhood cats" . I was using my scoped Horton Supermag crossbow with practice points. Looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade to broadheads.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:04:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gunner1X: Years ago while lying in my hammock and drinking JD from the bottle I noticed my dog dragging something under the fence. Upon inspection, to my dismay, I realized it was the next door neighbor's 10 year old daughter's rabbit.[:O] For years I had watch her come home from school and head straight out to it's cage, free it and play with it in the yard. I knew today would be no different and fearing for our dog, I had to think fast.[thinking] The rabbit was quite dirty, as if it had put up quite a struggle, so I washed it off with the hose, combed it with the Dog brush and blew it dry with the leaf blower. Upon finishing it's grooming I hopped the fence and replaced back in it's cage hoping it's [xx(] would be written off as "natural causes". Back to the hammock and my JD. Within the hour the neighbor's Volvo pulled in as usual and out popped the little , and as usual she headed straight for the cage. Only this time she stopped about six feet away and screamed: [>(] "DDDAAAADDDDDDDYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Her father, panic stricken, stood looking at the cage. Being the good neighbor that I am I rushed to fence and asked if there was anything I could do. Her father less than calmly blurted, "What kind of sick individual [%|] would dig up a little 's rabbit and put it back in it's cage??"[:(!]
View Quote
oh man i was roflmao after that one. smooth move X lax! lol
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:19:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/14/2002 7:21:56 AM EST by The_Beer_Slayer]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:28:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By Quag: .22 subsonics from inside your garage or house.
View Quote
Not much difference in loudness from regular .22(I have tried it myself)..[:D]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:32:25 AM EST
[fuddvoice]KIIIILL DA WAAAAAAABIT KIIIIIL DAAA WAAAAAABBBIT! [/fuddvoice]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:38:20 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:46:20 AM EST
Don't they make an arrow with a blunt tip for such things , I seem to remember that I switched to one of those the first time a rabbit ran off with my arrow. I use to hunt squirrels with arrows, a bitch when you missed, gone forever.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:51:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By bountyhunter: Don't they make an arrow with a blunt tip for such things , I seem to remember that I switched to one of those the first time a rabbit ran off with my arrow. I use to hunt squirrels with arrows, a bitch when you missed, gone forever.
View Quote
My problem is my arrows are going have way through the rabbits and I don't want to ruin an expensive broadhead when it hits the dirt. Another problem is 3 out of 4 have rabbit fever right now, so I can't eat them either[V]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:22:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By themao:
View Quote
View Quote
Domed pellets are better than pointed pellets for hunting. Pointed pellets have a tendancy to go straight through the animal instead of remaining and expanding.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:29:18 AM EST
Update. I just found the rabbit I shot yesterday with my arrow. I was able to get my arrow back but the fucking rabbit managed to rip off all 3 vains off the arrow. Wheres a good place to order new glue on arrow vains?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:35:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By CAPITALIST: Update. I just found the rabbit I shot yesterday with my arrow. I was able to get my arrow back but the fucking rabbit managed to rip off all 3 vains off the arrow. Wheres a good place to order new glue on arrow vains?
View Quote
Cabelas has any accessory for hunting you could use. Go to thier website www.cabelas.com and order thier archery catalogue... fullclip
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:03:41 AM EST
Horton Supermag - what's the draw weight on that thing? 100 pounds? and you can't kill a freakin' rabbit with it? Stick a .357 case over the end off the arrow and shoot the rabbit with the blunt butt end on the cartridge case. Head shots.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:04:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count: Horton Supermag - what's the draw weight on that thing? 100 pounds? and you can't kill a freakin' rabbit with it? Stick a .357 case over the end off the arrow and shoot the rabbit with the blunt butt end on the cartridge case. Head shots.
View Quote
Its 150lbs draw. I killed the rabbit. I hit it low in the front leg through into the ass. I found it the next day. Thats a good idea putting the .357 case on the end. I'll have to try that. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:15:44 AM EST
The Holy Hand Grenade???? [url]http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~pparker/grenade.html[/url] [i]The specifications here couldn't be clearer: First shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceedest to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shalt snuff it. -- Armaments 2:18-21 [/i]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:03:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By garandman: The Holy Hand Grenade???? [url]http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~pparker/grenade.html[/url] [i]The specifications here couldn't be clearer: First shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceedest to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shalt snuff it. -- Armaments 2:18-21 [/i]
View Quote
Ok?[>:/]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:14:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By CAPITALIST: Ok?[>:/]
View Quote
Ever see Monty Python's "The Holy Grail??" Chiddrenz. I'm surrounded by chiddrenz. [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:14:25 AM EST
If you are using a pellet gun, pump the thing to max pressure then load the pellet backwards (with the cup forward) fire from short range. Should expand violently on impact and tear a largish hole in the bunny. Buddy of mine took out a woodpecker rapping on his house that way. It basically blew apart in a puff of feathers. Range is limited though since the backward pellet isn't going to be ballistically stable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:19:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By garandman:
Originally Posted By CAPITALIST: Ok?[>:/]
View Quote
Ever see Monty Python's "The Holy Grail??" Chiddrenz. I'm surrounded by chiddrenz. [}:D]
View Quote
No. never saw it. I must be to young[:D]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:24:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By CAPITALIST:
Originally Posted By garandman: Ever see Monty Python's "The Holy Grail??" Chiddrenz. I'm surrounded by chiddrenz. [}:D]
View Quote
No. never saw it. I must be to young[:D]
View Quote
OR I must be too old. [BD] While in search of the Holy Grail, our heroes came upon a viscious rabbit who had killed all who passed by that way. Having lost several of their number, our heroes employed the "Holy Hand Grenade" to dispatch the ferocious hare. Hence, the reference from the book of Armaments (above) You GOTTA rent this movie - its hilarious. Its gets a little whack at the end but well worth the rental. Rent it tonite, and report back tomorrow, recruit!!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:31:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gunner1X: Years ago while lying in my hammock and drinking JD from the bottle I noticed my dog dragging something under the fence. Upon inspection, to my dismay, I realized it was the next door neighbor's 10 year old daughter's rabbit.[:O] For years I had watch her come home from school and head straight out to it's cage, free it and play with it in the yard. I knew today would be no different and fearing for our dog, I had to think fast.[thinking] The rabbit was quite dirty, as if it had put up quite a struggle, so I washed it off with the hose, combed it with the Dog brush and blew it dry with the leaf blower. Upon finishing it's grooming I hopped the fence and replaced back in it's cage hoping it's death [xx(] would be written off as "natural causes". Back to the hammock and my JD. Within the hour the neighbor's Volvo pulled in as usual and out popped the little girl, and as usual she headed straight for the cage. Only this time she stopped about six feet away and screamed: [>(] "DDDAAAADDDDDDDYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Her father, panic stricken, stood looking at the cage. Being the good neighbor that I am I rushed to fence and asked if there was anything I could do. Her father less than calmly blurted, "What kind of sick individual [%|] would dig up a little girl's dead rabbit and put it back in it's cage??"[:(!]
View Quote
This is funny as shit! I'm going to try and use that when my wife calls tonight, our neighbor has a rabbit!! [beer]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:31:05 AM EST
View Quote
Get a couple of cats. They're very effective at catching rabbits.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:02:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By ARgon:
View Quote
This is funny as shit! I'm going to try and use that when my wife calls tonight, our neighbor has a rabbit!! [beer]
View Quote
I'll not be responsible for the outcome![;)]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:10:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:14:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By Maynard: Sounds like an excuse to buy a better pellet gun to me and practice your marksmanship skills.
View Quote
Naaaahhh, you gotta think bigger. Sounds like an excuse to buy a 22 rimfire dedicated upper, with thread on silencer and thermal imaging optics. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:37:06 AM EST
Please George, can I tend the rabbits.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:42:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By Houston:
View Quote
Get a couple of cats. They're very effective at catching rabbits.
View Quote
These rabbits are bigger than the neighborhood cats. HAHA
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:44:56 AM EST
An invisible fence and two hungry dogs. It works here in upstate to protect the orchards.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top