Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/25/2005 9:35:46 PM EDT
Worst part of being a FFL is when customers order something really cool that you hadn't seen or considered before.

Now I've been doing pretty good at keeping the .45 bug at bay. Now I'll eventually grab another Colt or 2 but the price makes them not a high priority. And I've seen the Kimbers and Paras and they are nice but way down my list.

Until...

GODDAMMIT.

High capacity .45 (14+1) in "Special Ops" Green finish.

Damn you Para Ordnance.

Damn You to hell.

Gonna also need a shitload of .45 ACP now.....bastards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:42:04 PM EDT
Good luck. You're gonna need it
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:42:17 PM EDT
$?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:42:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:43:58 PM EDT

Something I should know before I buy it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:45:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leelaw:
$?

Not bad. A little more than a HK USP.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 9:49:07 PM EDT by Lumpy196]

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Ive seen Paras consistantly have problems, from the lowliest factory gun to guns put together for HSLD guys on .gov purchase orders from smiths that SHOULD be able to build them reliable.

Their QC is just too hit and miss. I played with an LDA 7 in a store once that was CLEAN and smooth. I ordered one from my FFL and the one that showed up looked like it was made by a monkey with a disc grinder and a sledge hammer.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you about how their lone sample has been 100%. Roll the dice and take your chances.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:47:06 PM EDT

$?

are you friggin serious... i didnt htink paras were that much
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:52:27 PM EDT
Please bear with me, since I'm a little slow tonight. That's a double stack 1911? Is that pistol the only one of it's kind, or are there other double stack 1911s?

Prior to three minutes ago I didn't know there was such a thing.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:53:36 PM EDT
I knew a guy who had a para. He sold it at the first opportunity.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:54:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MicronuT:

$?

HKs aren't that much. Kimbers cost more.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:54:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 9:55:25 PM EDT by MicronuT]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:55:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MicronuT:

$?

They are that expensive here. The local shop has a NIB Kimber Eclipse 100 dollars cheaper than a para PXT-1911 single.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:55:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
Please bear with me, since I'm a little slow tonight. That's a double stack 1911? Is that pistol the only one of it's kind, or are there other double stack 1911s?

yes paras are double stacked. not only in their .45 line either.. i know for sure their .40's cuzz ive seen them... not 100% on the 9 tho. i think STI does it too.. correct me if im wrong someone..
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 9:57:28 PM EDT by SteyrAUG]

Ive seen Paras consistantly have problems, from the lowliest factory gun to guns put together for HSLD guys on .gov purchase orders from smiths that SHOULD be able to build them reliable.

Their QC is just too hit and miss. I played with an LDA 7 in a store once that was CLEAN and smooth. I ordered one from my FFL and the one that showed up looked like it was made by a monkey with a disc grinder and a sledge hammer.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you about how their lone sample has been 100%. Roll the dice and take your chances.

I know a couple guys who carry Para high caps and had to have a smith do some "work" to make them reliable enough for carry. From what I've seen after you smooth out the rough spots they are pretty decent.

But I might wait for a range report on this one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:56:09 PM EDT

Para makes a lot of double stack 1911s.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 10:04:28 PM EDT by Lumpy196]
There are 1911 double stacks of various capacities and uncertain availability from STI, Wilson, Enterprise Arms, Kimber, Caspian, Springfield and IMI.

STI:

Kimber:

Enterprise Arms (frame only that takes Para mags)

Wilson:

Charles Daly

IMI BUL

Springfield:

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:59:56 PM EDT
I would get an STI if I wanted capacity in a 1911/2011. The only weakness there is the magazines, and the new production ones are supposed to be fine as long as you don't try to squeeze a few extra rounds capacity out of them like comp shooters do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:01:54 PM EDT

Para makes both single and double stack 1911s. So does STI, Springfield, and Kimber. They're a little more squirrely to make right, the weak point being the magazine. It has to be single stack until it passes the trigger, then becomes double stack.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:03:14 PM EDT
Thanks for the info guys-you learn something new every day.

My fullsize carry gun is a USP45, though I'm intrigued with the idea of a hicap 1911.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:08:22 PM EDT
A ,buddy sold me one right after he got it. I knew something was weird, he was so looking forward to getting it, so amped.

Went to the range, loaded her up, pulled the trigger, mag base flew out and so did everything else in the mag. Factory mags. Trashed that mag, then the FTE's/ FTF's.

I got rid of it right after I got it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:44:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CavVet:
A ,buddy sold me one right after he got it. I knew something was weird, he was so looking forward to getting it, so amped.

Went to the range, loaded her up, pulled the trigger, mag base flew out and so did everything else in the mag. Factory mags. Trashed that mag, then the FTE's/ FTF's.

I got rid of it right after I got it.

That don't sound good.

My Dad just got a Para LDA and he hasn't reported any problems with it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:48:53 PM EDT
Ditto on what Lumpy stated. Check out the 10-8 forum for feedback on this pistol...not good from what I recall.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:06:10 AM EDT

Someone will be along shortly to tell you about how their lone sample has been 100%.

...with the exception of shooter error. C6 (3' barrel) carry gun that doesn't like one handed-limpwristing while moving.
Top Top