Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/26/2005 5:14:48 PM EDT
I want to see pics of your broken and/or wrecked vehicles.

This is what happens when you use a chain to pull out another vehicle, and the chain breaks. ALWAYS use a strap or rope with LOOPED ENDS!!

This happened the other day when I got high centered going through some ruts. A ford Bronco tried to pull me out but just ended up breaking my bumper(haven't put tow hooks on it yet). I eventually was able to free myself.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:31:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/26/2005 5:39:01 PM EDT by Maynard]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:33:39 AM EDT

Slid into a fence post and got stuck. In getting it unstuck with the help of one of our tractors, I peeled the front bumper back on said fence post. Just after I took this pic I took the bumper completely off and drove it as is for another couple of years until the engine gave out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:12:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Maynard:
I had just finished installing 4.10 gears in the rear axle of my F150 and decided to do a clutch dump on the road.

I managed to destroy... my 4WD extension housing, possibly break one or more motor mounts and chew up the fan shroud when the entire drivetrain broke.

Not to mention that that's not exactly proper break in procedure for a new ring and pinion.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:25:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:11:21 AM EDT

not mine, but damaged nevertheless!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=370262
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:22:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 3:26:03 PM EDT by MikeG23]

Originally Posted By Maynard:
Honestly didn't know there was a break in.

It's been sound so far.

I'll be doing more torture testing tomrrow after a locker install in the 8.8 rear axle.

Hopefully, no picture worthy moments will occur.

Your supposed to go easy on it for a while and not hold the same speed for long periods of time, slowly accelerate and slow down so that the ring and pinion can wear together. Probably shouldn't exceed 50 mph for a short while and definitly shouldn't accelerate hard.

There are detailed break in procedures for these things but my rule of thumb is just to be easy on it for a while. Similar to a new engine or transmission just not as long of a time frame, maybe a 100 miles.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:14:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:38:57 AM EDT
This is what happens when you rush to get the rally car together and don't really shake it down
before the race:

This shot kind of summed up the weekend...

the instruction was a "3L> over crest" ...kind of slippy too.
Guess what happens when you don't have your suspension settings dialed?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:04:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 7:06:38 PM EDT by FanoftheBlackRifle]

Originally Posted By GhostRing:
This is what happens when you rush to get the rally car together and don't really shake it down
before the race:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/weldor/TILT.jpg

This shot kind of summed up the weekend...
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/weldor/OFF.jpg

the instruction was a "3L> over crest" ...kind of slippy too.
Guess what happens when you don't have your suspension settings dialed?

No offense, but Whatever it was you hit, you did a NICE job of hitting it dead center.

<-- rally fan (don't have the $ to participate) ... I think the numbers have to do with how tight a turn it is, but can you explain exactly how it works?

Oh, and where's your "OK" sign....doesn't look like its up, but it might be the pictures just not showing it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:17:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 7:19:12 PM EDT by Tweeder]
hmm....no "i'm with stupid" smiley....

gonna keep that bumper mod? ETA: i should find the pix of my fawk-ups/carnage and post em. tagged until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:21:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:

No offense, but Whatever it was you hit, you did a NICE job of hitting it dead center.

<-- rally fan (don't have the $ to participate) ... I think the numbers have to do with how tight a turn it is, but can you explain exactly how it works?

Oh, and where's your "OK" sign....doesn't look like its up, but it might be the pictures just not showing it.

Heh, I'm just the "lowly" co-driver...BUT he will be the first to admit, I did NOT give him a
bad/late instruction!! Didn't even dent the hood! Had it fixed up for the next day tho'

This past season, the trees/stumps seemed to like jumping out in to the road...

The numerical system commonly used is loosely based on what gear you'd be in for the turn.
ie: 30 4R> would be a pretty fast right turn 30 yards away that will be taken in 4th gear, maybe high 3rd. the > means it will tighten up before the next straight.

It's gets pretty wild on some of the more complex stages...you'll get stuff like:
40 !3L > Cr 20 2R-<3+ nc
and you get one shot at saying it right. no pressure....

I've got camera in one hand, OK sign in the other...

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:28:18 AM EDT
I wish I had some pictures..

neighbor and his wife went to dinner in the mountains, they took their bikes with them..

they went to park in a parking garage and forgot the bikes were on top!!

bikes were ok, but made a mess out of the back and sides of the car.

I would feel like such a freaking loser after that! lol
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:19:58 PM EDT
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/10-32/whoops.jpg

I jerked this the Toy off a rock it was high-centered on earlier in the day with my stock XJ. Coming back down the pass on the way home, I see this the huge cloud of dust and debris in the road. Rolled it about 4 times.

Dumbasses.

10-32
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:44:07 PM EDT
Damn, I wish I had all my pictures of the wrecks I've been in...I'll have to dig up some of the old ones that are on paper and get them in digital form.

In the meantime here's the most recent from about 2 years ago.

This is what happens when you're stopped at a redlight and some dumbass stoned college student is rummaging around in his floorboard while traveling 45 mph. I was the first car hit and it pushed me into the car in front of mine, then the next, then the next. Five cars involved total.

Luckily we weren't hit square.

Top Top