Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2012 12:41:17 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/07/dc-lawmakers-propose-requiring-students-to-apply-to-college/

D.C. Lawmakers Propose Requiring Students to Apply to College

Lawmakers in the nation's capital have floated a plan to require high school students to apply to college or trade school –– even if the students have no interest in attending.
The proposal is a bid to ensure students in the troubled Washington, D.C., school system at least have the know-how to navigate the admissions process.

D.C. Council Chairman Kwame Brown, who introduced the bill, said the proposal would establish a "mandatory workshop" to teach teenagers how to apply for aid and admission. It would then require everybody to apply to at least one post-secondary school before graduation.

"I believe that every child should have the opportunity, even if they don't go, to at least apply to a college," he said as he introduced the bill Wednesday.

The bill would also require every high school student to take the SAT or ACT tests. While the admissions and test-taking process would entail fees, Brown said he would work with the school system to make sure students have the "resources" to apply.

Brown argued Wednesday that some D.C. students aren't going to college simply because they "don't know how to navigate the enrollment process."

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Wit my 1.0 GPA and absentee record of 75%, the only thang keeping me out of colledge [sp] is the man and the fac that I cant reed or rite. Heck, I could be a rodes skolar iffn I wanted to be.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/07/dc-lawmakers-propose-requiring-students-to-apply-to-college/
Brown argued Wednesday that some D.C. students aren't going to college simply because they "don't know how to navigate the enrollment process."

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If they are too stupid to enroll maybe they don't need to be in College

Not everyone gets to be a Astronaut when the grow up

Free
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
They're the future of America.

God help us all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:

that was my reaction. Every hugh school has a counselor who is glad to help you if you give a shit.

The real motive here is to create a bogus statistic that everyone would go to college if only the tax payer would pay for it.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope they pass this shit, because when they do, I'm going to start a "college" that takes applications but rejects all applicants, but only has an application fee of $2, and the application comes in a postage paid envelope with the application printed in the upper left hand corner (name, address, etc.).

I'll make a jillion fucking dollars.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My bet is that this is because they didn't want to learn.  Counselors have two main jobs: help students enroll in courses to finish high school and help them prepare for and apply to colleges.  My high school had three counselors and once I reached my junior year every single time I saw them they were presenting something about applying to college.  When you walked into their offices the first thing you saw was a bookcase full of material for applying to colleges.  If the counselors aren't using every opportunity to provide guidance and information on applying for schooling after high school then they need to be fired yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations...here's your medal for coming in dead last!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Bill Clinton suggested making 2 years of college mandatory way back when he was president.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
if they can't put forth the effort to navigate the admission process, they aren't going to be able to deal with actual classes if they do get in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#13]
What reality is this and why can't I leave?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#14]
This is DC.

Brown will set up a company to help the little miscreants fill out the paperwork.

His company will get grants from the DC government.

It's the DC way.

For the children.

If you are to dumb to fill out the application you are to dumb to attend.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you're so stupid you can't even figure out how to apply to college, then it's probably not for you in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]
More Government Waste of $$$$$.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Free

this

the world needs ditch diggers

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My high school required college acceptance to graduate. If you did not have an acceptance letter from at least one school in your record, no diploma. The only exception was a signed enlistment contract.

But it was a private military school that had real standards, so it wasn't a real issue for anyone to get accepted.

We didn't have to apply but we did have to take the SAT and maybe the ACT, the ASVAB was optional ,and given at the school. Catholic School.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a good way to make sure that Universities get the money they "need."

Big Banks have been paid back.
Unions have been paid back.
I guess it is Academia's turn.

All that is left is to pay the gas and mortgage for poor woman on Youtube.

–– John
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#20]
If someone that stupid can get elected to public office, how stupid is someone who can't figure out how to apply for college?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe they should require them to learn how to read?  You'd be surprised how many DC high school "graduates" are illiterate.  Actually, maybe you wouldn't be surprised...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're so stupid you can't even figure out how to apply to college, then it's probably not for you in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#23]
and what about the ones who drop out of high school altogether?  gonna make them apply too?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#24]
And what will be the cry when 99% of these applicants are rejected?

Any guesses??
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And what will be the cry when 99% of these applicants are rejected?

Any guesses??

Somehow I feat that I'm racist for opposing this.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I recall a line about teaching them how to think. I guess that's down the shitter.

High school students can take classes at almost any state school if they're not matriculating and they can sign a credit card slip. If they want to finish, they can  register after a few classes and get a degree. The school will be happy to have them after they prove that they can study.

Or they can spend four years and twenty thousand dollars learning how to apply to the school that just gave them their degrees. Where's that college is bullshit thread?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#27]
More liberal democrat dogooderism.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They're the future of America.

God help us all.

And God Help America...

I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that those who can't 'navigate' college aid and admissions won't even be able to 'muster' for an ASVAB, thus leaving our nation in greater peril than we dare speak or imagine.

Those 'weak' minds are so easily manipulated...

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#29]
We have too many people going to college as it is.  You don't need a college diploma to do 80-90% of the jobs out there, but a lot of them require a degree anyway.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Maybe they should require them to learn how to read?  You'd be surprised how many DC high school "graduates" are illiterate.  Actually, maybe you wouldn't be surprised...

Nationally, the average high school graduate is capable of reading at the 6th grade level- it's not just a DC problem.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lawmakers in the nation's capital have floated a plan to require high school students to apply to college or trade school –– even if the students have no interest in attending.
The proposal is a bid to ensure students in the troubled Washington, D.C., school system at least have the know-how to navigate the admissions process.

D.C. Council Chairman Kwame Brown, who introduced the bill, said the proposal would establish a "mandatory workshop" to teach teenagers how to apply for aid and admission. It would then require everybody to apply to at least one post-secondary school before graduation.

"I believe that every child should have the opportunity, even if they don't go, to at least apply to a college," he said as he introduced the bill Wednesday.

The bill would also require every high school student to take the SAT or ACT tests. While the admissions and test-taking process would entail fees, Brown said he would work with the school system to make sure students have the "resources" to apply.

Whats the penalty if they don't apply? They don't graduate?

Hah.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Obviously your public schools are an utter failure then.  Maybe you should try to fix that instead of cooking up insanity like this suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I hope they pass this shit, because when they do, I'm going to start a "college" that takes applications but rejects all applicants, but only has an application fee of $2, and the application comes in a postage paid envelope with the application printed in the upper left hand corner (name, address, etc.).

I don't think you even need to start a 'college'(the elegant simplicity of that proposal is evidence of thought and motivation)you need to advertise as an agency that will assist in the aid & application process, not even guaranteeing enrollment acceptance, and charge way more than $2... heck, get .gov to pay you to do the applications for them! Retire, buy an island off Costa Rica.

But then that could make you one of the 1%...

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is DC.

Brown will set up a company to help the little miscreants fill out the paperwork.

His company will get grants from the DC government.

It's the DC way.

For the children.

If you are to dumb to fill out the application you are to dumb to attend.

... exactly my impression...

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Why not? If the government can force us to buy health care insurance, then it can force us to do anything it wants, including applying for college.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The idea is not half bad, we actually have a very similar policy in my city- mandatory PSATs, SATs are set to be mandatory in a couple of years as well as a requirement to either apply to a college/ university, trade school, or employment (includes armed forces enlistment process).

I believe that uch a policy would be a lot better than the straight 'continue'learnin'' approach the DC is pushing. School without a goal is just as bad as graduating high school intent on sucking the government tit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why not?  The government can force us to buy health care insurance, then it can force us to do anything it wants.

Graduating high school isn't mandatory- if you don't want to apply, that's fine. Drop out and get a GED.........show da man how much smarts u haz.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Virtually all DC students that this would affect are free/reduced lunch. They can take the SATs and apply for free via College Board fee waiver programs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Yea, no way does this in ANY WAY have to do with de facto forcing everyone to get bank loans/fed loans.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Free

Took the words right out of my mouth, hoss.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yea, no way does this in ANY WAY have to do with de facto forcing everyone to get bank loans/fed loans.

That's certainly an aspect that should be discussed... we could call it bonded/indentured servitude.

I think Kwame Brown is on to something...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servant

Selling his own people back into slavery. What a despicable, racist fucking traitor.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's certainly an aspect that should be discussed... we could call it bonded/indentured servitude.

I think Kwame Brown is on to something...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servant

Selling his own people back into slavery. What a despicable, racist fucking traitor.

While they can't force you to go to college, they make it seem like not going is the end of the world. The bank agrees to loan bazillions of dollars that they know the Fed will cover if not paid back, so colleges can raise their rates through the roof, requiring everyone else to get loans.

Wee... here we go.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The idea is not half bad, we actually have a very similar policy in my city- mandatory PSATs, SATs are set to be mandatory in a couple of years as well as a requirement to either apply to a college/ university, trade school, or employment (includes armed forces enlistment process).

I believe that uch a policy would be a lot better than the straight 'continue'learnin'' approach the DC is pushing. School without a goal is just as bad as graduating high school intent on sucking the government tit.

I need sombody to shovel my driveway and mow my lawn when I am out having fun.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

require high school students to apply to college or trade school

"mandatory workshop"

It would then require everybody to apply to at least one post-secondary school before graduation.

The bill would also require every high school student to take the SAT or ACT tests.

With these new requirements, how many more kids will fail to graduate high school?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While they can't force you to go to college, they make it seem like not going is the end of the world. The bank agrees to loan bazillions of dollars that they know the Fed will cover if not paid back, so colleges can raise their rates through the roof, requiring everyone else to get loans.

Wee... here we go.

Ya, and I can just see Ol' Masta' Kwame setting up a company to purchase all those contracts and putting all those under contract to work... another fucking D.C. shell game.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#46]
So the lawmakers will try to require students to apply for college

Too bad congress does not try to require people to show Identification before voting
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's trying to promote constructive forward planning, which is something that is absent in a lot of low SES minority communities. He is trying to get them to plan for some future beyond high school and hopefully seek the education or training necessary to make that happen. I believe the idea has its flaws, but it is a well intentioned effort. What would be wrong is trying to perpetuate the welfare culture that currently exists. Have you ever had a kid tell you that their intention is to deal drugs and collect (welfare), because they have never given any consideration to legitimate occupational planning- I have. Now, there will come a time, when they are going to have to face reality and sit down with somebody and look at what they might be able to do and what is something that might be unrealistic. Knowing that talk is coming might be able to serve as a motivator to encourage goal setting, achievment, etc...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's trying to promote constructive forward planning, which is something that is absent in a lot of low SES minority communities. He is trying to get them to plan for some future beyond high school and hopefully seek the education or training necessary to make that happen. I believe the idea has its flaws, but it is a well intentioned effort. What would be wrong is trying to perpetuate the welfare culture that currently exists. Have you ever had a kid tell you that their intention is to deal drugs and collect (welfare), because they have never given any consideration to legitimate occupational planning- I have. Now, there will come a time, when they are going to have to face reality and sit down with somebody and look at what they might be able to do and what is something that might be unrealistic. Knowing that talk is coming might be able to serve as a motivator to encourage goal setting, achievment, etc...

Were you able to get that kid a job that would pay more than drug selling and welfare?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Why in the hell do they need a workshop to figure out how to apply to college. How about just going and doing it and learning as you go. Do a little up front research and work at it.  How are they going to get anywhere in life unless someone else does everything for them. Oops, I forgot. That's the point, they want everything handed to them by someone else.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top