Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 4:48:02 PM EDT
I got a new (nice) flat panel Viewsonic LCD monitor and I want to hook it up all digital-like with my computer... Yes, both have DVI connections. The monitor only comes with an analog cable, which is what I am currently using. I went to the Circuit City by me and about had a heart attack when the guy pointed me to their DVI cables... and they were $99!

I have since checked the major outlets (CompUSA, CC, and Best Buy) and they all have them for about that price. Best price I can find was $50...

Where are you guys finding decent cables that aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance,
jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There are no cheap ones, Some Hi-Def decoders come with them in the box that some guys do not use & sell, Try E-Bay.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There are no cheap ones, Some Hi-Def decoders come with them in the box that some guys do not use & sell, Try E-Bay.

New Egg has them starting at 13.99
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
try TIGER DIRECT....I got one from them about a year ago and i think it was about 25.00.....be sure and check the connections very close.......there are about 3-4 different dvi cables...the problem i had was that the monitor was a dvi-i and the video card was dvi-d.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Go here
www.newegg.com

Awesome, thanks!

I think the correct Internet terminology is "w00t!"

jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
try TIGER DIRECT....I got one from them about a year ago and i think it was about 25.00.....be sure and check the connections very close.......there are about 3-4 different dvi cables...the problem i had was that the monitor was a dvi-i and the video card was dvi-d.

Hmmm, how would I know which is which?

I will look closer. Thanks for the heads up. Kind of like buying a Firewire peripheral and discovering that there are two kinds of Firewire connections...

Thanks again!
jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]
"Single Link has fewer pins, 18 I believe, whereas dual link has 24. The dual link cable has higher bandwidth, around 9 Gbps, while the single link has 4.45 Gbps bandwidth (roughly half). All this means is the dual link cable will allow you to run higher resolutions at higher refresh rates than the single link. If you use the DVI interface for data transport, then dual link is the way to go.

As I found out today, make sure you pay attention to DVD-D and DVD-I, as the DVI-I version has two extra pins which prevent it from plugging into a DVD-D socket. Most LCD computer monitors are DVD-D, BTW."

Pictures

www.homestead.co.uk/beldvi.htm

www.homestead.co.uk/beldviadap.htm

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top