Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2002 10:50:49 AM EDT
I'm just starting to put together a dvd collection and have bought a few on eBay. So far, I've only bought from people in the USA who specifically state on their auctions, that the product is original.
But, I'm seeing a lot of auctions for new DVDs from places like Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Singapore. Do any of you have any experience with DVDs from sources like these? I'm assuming they're knock-offs, but what's the quality like?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Knockoffs they do be.

quality is iffy. usuall VCD rips. should look like good tape.

just get real DVDs from real places. (Walmart, Amazon, Bestbuy, ect)
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, be careful because those countries are
in a different ZONE than the US. DVDs are
not interchangeable between zones and will not
play back. Take the above guys advise.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget blockbuster. They sell the used ones real cheap. We usually get them for around 10 bucks. Sometimes they have sales. Recently they did a buy 3 get one free thing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Also check out Netflix.com online DVD rentals. THey have a great selection and you get more then your $20 a month worth as long as you remember to mail them back after you get done watching it... but if you do, doesn't matter. No late fees.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 3:09:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Zones? You worry about zones?

I guess since the US market is so dominant (with most folks from outside of theu US wanting region 1 access) that maybe it isn't so common, but my DVD player plays ANYTHING.

Yes, the stuff you see on E-Bay is likely junk.

Two advantages to buying from other regions (assuming you can play them and you know you aren't buying VCD quality on a DVD disk):

1) Many movies release overseas before the US (I have region 3 Raiders of the Lost Ark, for example, I still haven't seen a region one release)

2) Many movies NEVER release to the US. While the US makes 99 percent of the best movies, there are some foreign movies that merit owning. A plus: everyone of them has English subtitles as an option.

I paid around $25 American to have some shop in Seoul region-free my DVD player. The world is mine.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also, be careful because those countries are
in a different ZONE than the US. DVDs are
not interchangeable between zones and will not
play back. Take the above guys advise.
View Quote

Jodi,

What does this mean?  Will DVDs from Asia play in my laptop or not?  What is a zone?

James
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Any major movie with a zone code of 0 is not official or a test disk.  The major studios do not put out region 0 disks except for pre-release test disks.

As far as playing disks from different regions, some DVD players have the ability to turn off region encoding via a complex sequence of buttons pressed.  Some can be modified by replacing a chip.  Software DVD players on computers can be modified to play DVD's of any region, buy they only allow it to be changed a few times before locking to one region.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't forget blockbuster. They sell the used ones real cheap. We usually get them for around 10 bucks. Sometimes they have sales. Recently they did a buy 3 get one free thing.
View Quote

It's very important that you make sure the DVD's are in good condition if you purchase from Blockbuster.  Look for signs of cracking or bubbling in the inner ring of the disk where they DVD player spins it.  If that ring is chipped, cracking, or bubbling, it's possible that it could shatter in your DVD player, ruining it.  It's not too terribly common, but it is possible.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[url]www.dvdempire.com[/url] has good prices and cheap shipping.
View Quote

[url]www.dvdpricesearch.com[/url] will search a bunch of different retailers on the net and give you the best prices, including shipping chargers.

Personally, I find Best Buy has the best deals on release week for new DVD's.  Their prices generally match the best on-line prices, and you only have to pay tax but no shipping.  However, I have gotten DVD's before release date because Amazon or Buy.com shipped them pre-release date so I would get it on the release date, but I got it a day or two early.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess since the US market is so dominant (with most folks from outside of theu US wanting region 1 access) that maybe it isn't so common, but my DVD player plays ANYTHING.
View Quote

The MPAA and DVD Consortium say having a multi-region DVD player is a no-no in the US.  Since DVD player manufacturers get their keys to decrypt the DVD's from the DVD Consortium, they kind of have to play along.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Zone = Region.

Region is the proper term as deemed by the evil overlord MPAA.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Be sure to check out [url=www.deepdiscountdvd.com]Deep Discount DVD[/url].  They usually have the lowest price and they ship for [b]FREE[/b].

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Where can I get more info on Zones and regions encoding and decoding. What format is being used? TIA
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where can I get more info on Zones and regions encoding and decoding. What format is being used? TIA
View Quote

Knowing that information, specifically the encoding and decoding scheme violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).  But, if you're still interested, do a google search on CSS and DECSS.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Regarding Zones/Regions:  US/Can is Region I, I think Europe is Region II, etc.

DVD players are coded into regions by their geographical sales location.  The reason for this is that theatrical and video/dvd releases are lagged in time in relation to the geography.  ie Hollywood releases movies in the US first, then other parts of the world.  So in order for them to lag the distribution of dvd's, they make the dvd players only play one region of disks.

Now most other regions have shops that can convert your dvd player to multiregion player with a chip or some other method for a fee.  

They are not very useful in the US because we are Zone I and usually get the releases first.

I personally wouldn't mind a multizone player just because I wish I could get other languanges besides english, french and spanish.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Regarding Zones/Regions:  US/Can is Region I, I think Europe is Region II, etc.

DVD players are coded into regions by their geographical sales location.  The reason for this is that theatrical and video/dvd releases are lagged in time in relation to the geography.  ie Hollywood releases movies in the US first, then other parts of the world.  So in order for them to lag the distribution of dvd's, they make the dvd players only play one region of disks.

Now most other regions have shops that can convert your dvd player to multiregion player with a chip or some other method for a fee.  

They are not very useful in the US because we are Zone I and usually get the releases first.

I personally wouldn't mind a multizone player just because I wish I could get other languanges besides english, french and spanish.

Hope that helps
View Quote

Another reason is so they can charge us more.  Europe and even Canada I think pay less for movies and video games.  What makes me mad is since Europe doesn't have reruns like they do they get releases of TV shows on DVD a lot sooner than we do.  Buffy and Stargate and others like them...we're up to Season 1/2 whereas they're already selling Season 5 or so over there...
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"Donde esta Frodo!!! Donde!!!????" [BD]
View Quote

Don't leave us hanging man?!?  Where is he!?!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The MPAA and DVD Consortium say having a multi-region DVD player is a no-no in the US.  Since DVD player manufacturers get their keys to decrypt the DVD's from the DVD Consortium, they kind of have to play along.

View Quote

oops i own 2 of em

mhmmmm import anime
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#23]
A lot of DVD players you can enter a code to go around the Region code.  [url]http://www.vcdhelp.com[/url]

Look on the left and you should see DVD hack somewhere.  I probably never will buy a DVD outside the region for various reasons but its nice to know I can.  Although I'd like to get around that blasted Macrovision.  I want to hook my player to my TV/VCR in my room but I need a special hookup now because since its part VCR it kicks in the stupid wierd picture thing so I won't copy it.  And I don't want to copy it I just want to watch it!  Bleh...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top