Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/5/2002 5:14:36 AM EDT
The cheap Samsung DVD player I bought a year ago is still working OK, but skips frequently, even on new DVD's. I clean the lens regularly, and recall seeing reviews when I bought it that skipping was a problem with that unit. I'm not regretting the purchase, as it was cheap, and I now have 4-5x the value of the player in DVD's. It seems to me that the "progressive scan" players are the coming wave, but are relatively expensive at this point. I was thinking about getting some kind of a portable DVD player--probably a cheap one to hook up to a portable TV (which I will get soon) and wait a while for the progressive scan units to come down in price. Any suggestions on a cheap portable unit? Also: I was looking at ebay and saw (out of Asia) a 20 DVD set of James Bond discs (10 double sided discs). Anyone have any experience with this set? A number of the sellers have no feedback--so I probably wouldn't buy from them, but some have 250+, so I would risk it. The set usually goes for $110 + $15-20 shipping (and they will take Paypal). And, I am also looking at getting the Dirty Harry set--always did like those movies!! AFARR
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:23:49 AM EDT
I don't have any experience with portable DVD players, so I can't offer you help there. As for the DVD's from Asia, I would skip them. The problem is you don't really know if they are bootleg or not (sounds like they are). If they are bootleg, who knows what type of quality you will get, or even if they will play on a Region 1 DVD player. If they do play on your player, they may have the Chinese subtitles ALWAYS ON. It sucks. Quality is usually suspect, video and audio might not sync, or just be really low quality. Just go to your local Best Buy and pick up the box sets. A bit more expensive, but you know it will work and it will be high quality. Av.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:12:34 AM EDT
If you are looking for a portable, and don't care about stuff like dts decoders, then I would recommend getting a laptop with a dvd rom. All the portables I have seen are well over a thousand dollars with little 6 inch screens at best. If you get the laptop, you don't need the portable tv because you get a 14 inch already. My brother-inlaw does that so his kids can watch dvd's on road trips. He bolts it down on a board in the car between the front seats, and the kids can watch it in back.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:08:11 PM EDT
Yeah I agree with the laptop idea also for a portable. If you do not have a home theater system capable of dts or 5.1 dolby digital hooked up to your DVD player you dont know what your missing. Movie theaters are a let down now compared to watching dvd's at home.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:26:37 PM EDT
A progressive scan DVD player really only shows its true potential used with a high definition TV. A standard TV isn't capable of displaying the additional scan lines. That was something I didn't know until I read the fine print. Unfortunately, progressive scan units are usually bundled with other features that you might find useful such as aspect ratio adjustment. I guess the manufacturers get you either way. It's the same thing with 5.1 decoding. If you already have a 5.1 capable receiver, it's redundant to have that in your DVD player. But they bundle features such as smooth search along with those units. Clever, huh?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:27:12 PM EDT
I agree w/ the laptop suggestion. If you are going to get a regular one for the House get a Sony. I got a 5 disk about a year ago and love it.
Top Top