Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2002 8:56:34 AM EDT
Recently I purchased a JVC XV-S500BK DVD player.

Soon thereafter, I rented Spy Games, and while watching it, the "closed captioning for the hearing impaired" kept coming on by itself.  I'd go to the menu, check the settings, go back to the movie, and it would be off... until later when it would magically reappear.

Last night I played Black Hawk Down.  Whenever a character would speak a foreign language, English subtitles would appear.  That's fine, but then the English subtitles would remain active even when the dialogue reverted to English.  Going to the menu and then back to the movie would stop the perpetual English subtitles... until the next foreign language dialogue.

This is extremely frustrating.  Does anyone have any insightful experience or advice?

TIA,

DrMark
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#1]
What did you do in the menu?  I can't tell if you actually went to subtitles and moved stuff or not.

There are a lot of adjustments on mine, I have intervideo that I prefer but interactual seems to come on some dvds and installs itself.

Both have subtitles offered, in a few different forms as well.  Same with closed captioning.

Once you set everything you are fine until you clear it all out usually.

I have never had anything change settings while I watched, it was always something I had moved and adjusted without realizing it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds like your player is fucked.  

Yeah, the foreign parts with english subtitles should be there, you'd see those on a VHS copy of the movie, but then the English coming on with subtitles after that?  Your player is freaking out.   That's my opinion on it, since goofy things are happening with multiple DVDs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What did you do in the menu?  I can't tell if you actually went to subtitles and moved stuff or not.
View Quote

For each movie, just going to the menu (changing nothing) and going back to the movie fixed things until the problem reoccurred.  Not a good sign.

DrMark
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I think that is a problem with the way that the DVD is mastered. I rented Spy Games and watched it at work on an Apple G4 and the captions kept coming on. I would go to the options and turn it off but it would come on again.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone at Blockbuster told me they've had some complaints about problems with Spy Games, but I've heard of no problems with BHD (other than me).

DrMark
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Spy Game definitely has a defect
[url]http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=197402&perpage=25&pagenumber=1[/url]

I had the same problem when I rented it, the closed captioning subtitles would not go away
page 3 of the link above has info on returning defective discs
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...and while watching it, the "closed captioning for the hearing impaired" kept coming on by itself.
View Quote

What the hell's wrong with you? Don't you know that new, super duper embedded DVD system software detected you are a shooter and is just trying to help you out because it knows your hearing is shot?

I'll bet you can't program a VCR either.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll bet you can't program a VCR either.
View Quote

What's a VCR?

Seriously, I just took the player back, and it's being sent in for "servicing."  We'll see.

DrMark
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Best Buy got my JVC DVD player back from "servicing" and said they could find nothing wrong to fix (not surprising).  Meanwhile, I had been talking with JVC.  I told them the problem, and after about 20 minutes on hold, the guy came back on the line and told me the problem is a result of a firmware problem with the player and they don't have a fix yet.  He said I could call them back at a later date and see if they had developed a fix.

I spoke with the manager at Best Buy and exchanged the JVC for a Sony DVP-NS715P, paying the small price difference.  Ironically, I had purchased the JVC because my previous Sony had only lasted 18 months before losing all capability of reading a disc.  The new Sony performs as intended on the one Black Hawk Down scene I just tested.

DrMark
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a JVC S45 and the thing only reads the disc a few minutes and then quits.  I bought the JVC becasue consumer digest rated them very high for the $200 class DVD player about a year ago.  I would advise anyone too NOT BUY JVC!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#11]
"Spygame" showed the subtitles on several DVD players.

If you have a problem with a DVD player, try unplugging it for a minute, then test it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top